Help choose my living room setup - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I can join the discussion, I would really ditch the idea of in-wall speakers. Why? There are a few cones, to me at least:
-In general, sound quality is not as good as bookshelves / floorstanders
-It's easier to find good prices for the commonly sold speakers, like bookshelves and towers.
-Should you want to change the speakers, you will have to redo the wall, either doing a bigger hole or patching if the new ones are smaller.
-You can't really do any experimentation with the placement. If you want to take them further appart, you'll have to do new holes... and you may not like the result and will have to start over again.
-If you move, they may not be suitable anymore. In this case, you can leave them or sell them, but I believe in-wall will be harder to sell.
-Limited choice

I think you should find a way to integrate nice tower speaker into your living room / tv room or whatever. You have a very nice budget, so max that out and get a nice system. You have also said about getting some smaller sorround set and use your towers to do stereo: I think you don't really need that at all.

An idea of a system? If you chose Canton, for example, you could have:

Chrono SLS 790 DC (x2) = 2500€
Chrono SLS 755 Center = 600€
Chrono SLS 720 (x2) = 760€
SUB 800 R = 1000€

This sets you at about 4860€, but that's the suggested retail price, you may find it cheaper. Also, for example, Canton has many different lines, you could go cheaper with the Chrono CL, Chrono SL, Chrono, Ergo or even the GLE. Or more expensive the Canton Vento line. You also go with 4x Bookshelfs instead of towers. It should also not be too hard to get them in Belgium.

You've mentioned Klipsch, be carefull with those! The Klipsch RF-82 II you mentioned have a horn tweeter and I've read that it's a love them or hate them thing, they can sound very harsh. Definitely I wouldn't buy those without listening to them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickVogeli View Post

If I can join the discussion, I would really ditch the idea of in-wall speakers. Why? There are a few cones, to me at least:
-In general, sound quality is not as good as bookshelves / floorstanders
-It's easier to find good prices for the commonly sold speakers, like bookshelves and towers.
-Should you want to change the speakers, you will have to redo the wall, either doing a bigger hole or patching if the new ones are smaller.
-You can't really do any experimentation with the placement. If you want to take them further appart, you'll have to do new holes... and you may not like the result and will have to start over again.
-If you move, they may not be suitable anymore. In this case, you can leave them or sell them, but I believe in-wall will be harder to sell.
-Limited choice

I think you should find a way to integrate nice tower speaker into your living room / tv room or whatever. You have a very nice budget, so max that out and get a nice system. You have also said about getting some smaller sorround set and use your towers to do stereo: I think you don't really need that at all.

An idea of a system? If you chose Canton, for example, you could have:

Chrono SLS 790 DC (x2) = 2500€
Chrono SLS 755 Center = 600€
Chrono SLS 720 (x2) = 760€
SUB 800 R = 1000€

This sets you at about 4860€, but that's the suggested retail price, you may find it cheaper. Also, for example, Canton has many different lines, you could go cheaper with the Chrono CL, Chrono SL, Chrono, Ergo or even the GLE. Or more expensive the Canton Vento line. You also go with 4x Bookshelfs instead of towers. It should also not be too hard to get them in Belgium.

You've mentioned Klipsch, be carefull with those! The Klipsch RF-82 II you mentioned have a horn tweeter and I've read that it's a love them or hate them thing, they can sound very harsh. Definitely I wouldn't buy those without listening to them!

Thanks for your reply, of course you can pitch in, i need as much information as I can get :-).

The idea has always been to use two floorstanding speakers. Obsidians has persuaded me to definitely use them as the two fronts of a complete system. The in-walls would only be for center and rear left and right. I've searched high and low for satellites that I consider "non-intrusive" in my future living room, but couldn't find anything (except for Bose, but.. yeah). Four bookshelfs will never be an option, certainly not on a speaker stand. The two rear ones aren't THAT important compared to the fronts (right?), so i thought i could definitely do with in-walls there. I would probably build them into a false wall or other construction (got a good carpenter friend :-)). And I would give that a lot of thought and try to test it before actually building everything.
I might use a normal speaker as the center one, as it is also very important. Definitely not a big one like you suggested though, unless i can find tv-furniture to my girlfriend's liking (!!) to put it in.
I will decide on the subwoofer when I get the others sorted out.

And yes Canton is a very popular and easy to get brand in Belgium :-).

I'll try and find somewhere to give some speakers like Klipsch a listen first.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 AM

Liked: 11
Well, I would advise against getting a Center speaker that doesn't match your fronts. If you can't get the matching center, then just leave the center out an go with a 4.1 system. Specially because I'm sure an in-wall center speaker will sound much different to your, presumably, expensive fronts.

About the rear.. they are not that important, but it's nice to have them match the fronts. I also had to get some smaller ones and got a pair of Canton's Plus GX.3, which are mounted very high (at about 2.2m).

If I were you, I would wait until you get your new house / flat. Maybe you can mount some smaller speakers without beeing tiny (like the Plus X.3 or GX.3), or even some wall mount speaker (for example, Canton do some speakers which are perfect to use has wall mounted surrounds, for example the GLE 416 if you want to have a look). I think it will all depend on your new place.

I'm sorry to mention Canton so much, but it's currently the speaker range I'm most familiar with. Other brands will also be fine and will likely also have similar options.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't got much time to respond, but if there's a (big) difference between rears (small or in-wall) and fronts (definitely towers), won't Audyssey be able to help out a bit?

And won't the difference - in general - be bigger with small regular speakers than built-in ones? In other words, isn't it easier to find matching in-walls than it is to find matching tiny speakers?

And don't worry, i'm just searching for information atm, i will get my speakers after i've found the house :-).
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualky View Post

I have found a dealer (website) in Holland (i'm from Belgium - same language) that delivers almost all speakers from Klipsch. Currently I'm looking at Klipsch RF-82 II floorstanding speakers to maybe build around. What do you think of Klipsch in-wall speakers?

Klipsch is generally well-respected on this forum, and those particular speakers actually look very good. I think they'd be a very solid place to start.

Just make sure that the online dealer is, in fact, an authorized dealer. Otherwise the warranty won't be valid.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yes he is, and i've found an actual store not so far away too! What's the general opinion about bowers and wilkins? And their in-walls?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes he is, and i've found an actual store not so far away too! What's the general opinion about bowers and wilkins? And their in-walls?

The B&W 800 Diamond series are generally considered to be excellent, I think. They're extremely expensive, though, and can be difficult to drive. I haven't heard much about their in-walls, though. They look decent enough, I guess?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Ok - new proposed setup :-)

Bowers & wilkins range this time: 600 series

Fronts: B&W 683
Center: B&W HTM61 (took the safe option here: same series, not in-wall, may try to find tv-furniture to put in (or get it manufactured to my desires)
Subwoofer: B&W ASW610xp (same series,most powerful one)

For the rears i'm trying to find in-walls with the same specs as the bookshelfs 685 from these series - is that a good way to go?
Maybe this one, but mid range is a little bit smaller, the rest seems fine http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/685.html
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 498
If you listened to and enjoyed the sound of the B&W 600 series I think it would be a good option for you. The 683 and 685 are the stars of the series. However, I would recommend that you not get the HTM61 for your center and instead use a single 685 book shelf speaker if possible. The 685s are sold in pairs so I understand if this is not an option (although you could use the extra speaker in a 6.1 configuration if you bought two pairs of 685s).

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Old 03-02-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
I have seen people that like B&W end up converting to Focal Chorus speakers, feeling they do better what the 600 series does. Worth a listen if you can.

B&W subs are overpriced. Check out SVS Sound, Rythmik, HSU, Power Sound Audio, and Outlaw Audio.
Qualky likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I have seen people that like B&W end up converting to Focal Chorus speakers, feeling they do better what the 600 series does. Worth a listen if you can.

B&W subs are overpriced. Check out SVS Sound, Rythmik, HSU, Power Sound Audio, and Outlaw Audio.

Keep in mind the OP is in Belgium. I'm not sure all of the mentioned subwoofer brands are available internationally. I think SVS is? I agree though that the B&W subwoofers are overpriced. The SQ is good but they don't dig as deep or have the same output as the ID brands.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Keep in mind the OP is in Belgium. I'm not sure all of the mentioned subwoofer brands are available internationally. I think SVS is? I agree though that the B&W subwoofers are overpriced. The SQ is good but they don't dig as deep or have the same output as the ID brands.

Sorry. I missed that.

Right. SVS could still be a good option. Focal speakers, too. I believe that they are a French company.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Quote:

Sorry. I missed that.

Right. SVS could still be a good option. Focal speakers, too. I believe that they are a French company.

Thanks, I'll try to give the Focals a listen.

As for the subs, none of the mentioned brands are really available here. Only SVS, but if i got it right, i would need the PB12-NSD DSP. It is 400W and 12" instead of 500W and 10" like theB&W I suggested and only costs 200 euros less. I would happily pay that as the style and finish would match better with the other speakers... And it's probably safer for cross-over and stuff like that? (I don't really know what i'm talking about here smile.gif )
Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, I'll try to give the Focals a listen.

As for the subs, none of the mentioned brands are really available here. Only SVS, but if i got it right, i would need the PB12-NSD DSP. It is 400W and 12" instead of 500W and 10" like theB&W I suggested and only costs 200 euros less. I would happily pay that as the style and finish would match better with the other speakers... And it's probably safer for cross-over and stuff like that? (I don't really know what i'm talking about here smile.gif )

As a 12", the PB12 will have more output than the 10" B&W. Here's a review by Audioholics of the PB12:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/sb12-nsd-subwoofer

And here's a review by Audioholics of the B&W, also by the same reviewer

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/asw-610xp

Can you tell which one the reviewer would probably pick? biggrin.gif

Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As a 12", the PB12 will have more output than the 10" B&W. Here's a review by Audioholics of the PB12:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/sb12-nsd-subwoofer

And here's a review by Audioholics of the B&W, also by the same reviewer

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/asw-610xp

Can you tell which one the reviewer would probably pick? biggrin.gif

I haven't had the time to read it yet, but at first glance, there's a bigger price difference than in Europe!

America (your links)
SVS: $ 649
B&W: $ 1,199

Europe (Belgium, Holland)
SVS: € 799
B&W: € 999

I'll take some time to read it all carefully though - thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Opppsss...that's the wrong SVS review. It's the SB12. Here is the PB12: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd

Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Both seem good choices though value looked at svs better.
Though I own axiom ep 500

Which front speakers are you going with?

theaudioguy.ca
Old 03-07-2013, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

I think my mind's set on b&w 683 with matching center speaker. It may be a long time before i purchase any though, so things can change still smile.gif
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM

Well then the rx 6 which I own also worth an audition mind you I've tried lots and installed many.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1567962-b-w-685-vs-monitor-audio-rx6.html

http://www.monitoraudio.ca/products/silver-rx/rx6/#/reviews

They I I love the Marantz match for receivers say....

http://www.trustedreviews.com/marantz-sr6007_Surround-Sound-System_review