Floorstanding speakers vs Bookshelf for casual OTA Broadcasting and Cable TV Viewing? (Newsbroadcast & Dialogue) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to figure out for my living room (about 18'' x 15') (couch is about 10' away), which is also connected to my kitchen/dining room is fit for floorstanding or bookshelf for OTA Cable TV Viewing.
I see that Frys has a deal on Energy RC-70s for $600 a pair which seems like a steal from what I've read.
Or should I get bookshelves like the Klipsch Reference RB-61 II for $400 a pair?
I don't care about appearance but more about sounds for quiet scenes, news broadcast and dialogue.
Any suggestions are welcome:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Simple answer: Using subs? Get bookshelves. If not, towers. That's if you need strong lows. If you don't, bookshelves, and forget about the subs.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Do the more expensive floorstanding/bookshelves speakers do better with newsbroadcast and dialogue(highs to mid-highs?) than cheaper ones by a great margin? Sorry for being so general yoda, but I need to get an idea before jumping on some crucial deals.

for example would a ss-6000 sony floor standing do just a good job in dialogue and newsbroadcasts(high to mid highs) as the energy rc-70?
post #4 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 14
I was hell bent on towers at first myself and those seem like a great deal, but I have been swayed towards the ascend 170 bookshelves.
If used with a sub the advantage of the towers seems to dwindle from what I can gather.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahkz View Post

Do the more expensive floorstanding/bookshelves speakers do better with newsbroadcast and dialogue(highs to mid-highs?) than cheaper ones by a great margin? Sorry for being so general yoda, but I need to get an idea before jumping on some crucial deals.

for example would a ss-6000 sony floor standing do just a good job in dialogue and newsbroadcasts(high to mid highs) as the energy rc-70?
The only advantage to a floorstander is extended bass response. For equal money spent a bookshelf will sound better than a floorstander. The main advantage to a more expensive versus less expensive speaker will usually be maximum output, which isn't much of a concern for listening to the news. Just about any separate speaker will sound much better than the TV internal speakers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahkz View Post

I just bought the RC-70s and I know they're better than the RC-10 bookshelf speakers I own. Considering the heavily discounted price I'm not sure if you'll find a $600 pair of bookshelf speakers that sound as good as the RC-70 towers. But speaker preference is all subjective.

If all you watch is the news then the Sony SS-6000 may be all you need. Anything will sound better than TV speakers.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page