Polk RTi12 or RTiA9 vs. Aperion 633T or 6T - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would the Polk RTI12 be an upgrade over Aperion speakers. You can get great prices on the RTi12 right now.

I own Aperion 633T tower speakers and 634VAC center channel. The 6T is a lightly upgraded 633T.
(I also have a very nice Martin Logan subwoofer and nice rear speakers in my ceiling).

The Aperion speakers are great for surround sound. But, the towers are not good for stereo music.
I think that is because the center channel is far superior to the towers. The center is a 3 way speaker while the towers are just 2 way. The center has the same 2 bass drivers and tweeter as the towers but also has a midrange speaker.

In stereo, with just the towers, there seems to be something missing in the 633T tower speakers, especially in the midrange. Also, they don't seem to handle complex music very well.

So, would I expect an upgrade in sound if I went to the RTi12? (I can them and a CSi5 center channel for under $800).

Note that Polk told me that RTiA9 is very close to RTI12 and suggested I go with the best deal between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The RTi 12 will have more dynamic capability, but it would still be closer to a side grade. This would cost you a little more, but would definitely be an upgrade.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=arx-a5-floorstanding-loudspeaker&products_id=227&osCsid=5e4251149e67d82aa5e3ab000fc49ce0

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=arx-a2b-center-lcr-loudspeaker&products_id=66&
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
How do you know that the ARX speakers would be an upgrade? I relly haven't been able to find that much info on them or any professional reviews. I did see a few things about them, but they seemed vague and not that specific. What I did find was mostly on the older, cheaper models and the background story of the A5.

I'm a little leery of mail order speakers and the reviews they get due to my experience with the Aperion speakers. I did a lot of research before buying those and it turns out that I wasn't completely happy.
The professional reviews raved about how these $1000/pr speakers sounded better than anything twice the price. But, I know they are not as good as the $1500/pr RTi12s. (I just don't know if the RTi12s are that much better where I want to go through the trouble of replacing my old speakers).

Anything you could point me to that would help improve my confidence in the ARX speakers would be appreicated.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
If you have a Fry's in your area you can get a pair of RTi12's for $747 which includes a free sub. Looking at the price you stated makes me think maybe you're in Canada?

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

Fry's has that sale every other week. I was told that I could replace the sub with a center channel.
One of these months they are finally going to run out the speakers.
Polk has replaced the RTi12 with the RTiA9. Polk told me that the difference between the two is moslty cosmetic and the difference is sound is barely noticeable, although there have some minor upgrades.

$800 with tax.

Ever try to audition speakers at Fry's? Good place to find out how they could sound under the absolute worst conditions.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 22
I don't know how long you have had your Aperions but you may want to call and see if you can take advantage of their upgrade program. If you can get some credit for your current speakers instead of just paying out of pocket for new ones you may be able to get a better speaker for what you are planning on spending. I think you could move up to the Forte line and be extremely happy with both music listening and movie watching.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but Aperion only allows an upgrade for 1 year after purchase.

The 6T came out about 14 months after I bought the 633T. I wanted to upgrade but they wouldn't let me.
This is their quote to me:

However, our speakers do sell well on the secondary market so you might want to look into listing them on eBay or craigslist and you should be able to get a fair amount of your money back that way which you could then use to purchase the new speakers if you decide that you would like them.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Speakers Rti 12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page