Home theatre setup- fine dust from sanding parquet flooring - AVS Forum
Speakers > Home theatre setup- fine dust from sanding parquet flooring
audiomanz's Avatar audiomanz 08:09 PM 02-15-2013
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for opinions and/or experience. Contractors came into my apartment unit to sand and seal my parquet flooring in my bedroom this past Wednesday. I covered up all my gear and components with drop sheets and garbage bags to protect my valuable ht system in my living room and my ht equipment in my bedroom which is stored in my small dining area.

These contractors I would've hoped brought their own plastic barriers to contain the fine dust. I left them a note as well to keep the door closed at all times to contain the fine dust so it doesn't spread everywhere. Long story short they did neither and didn't even leave the window open. Came home and you can tell there was fine wood dust on my plastic drop sheets, tote boxes and some dust outside the entrance of my bedroom door. Bedroom window was closed and the smell of polyurethane was really strong. I opened all windows, turned on my fan, closed my bedroom door and left my plastic drop sheets on my equipment. Yesterday I started removing the drop sheets ever so carefully from my equipment as I felt the dust had settled.

My question to the forum. Is this dust be harmful to ht equipment? I have Def tech speakers and i noticed a film of dust on the bottom on the sock. I wiped it off but started to get concerned that this dust will cause damage later on down the road. Any thoughts or suggestions and/or experience with this type of situation? My heat vents is central air located near my ceiling. They are back to back vents meaning one leads to my common areas and the other blows air into my bedroom. Will this need to be vacuumed out as well to get rid of any dust that may have settled there. When I turn the heat on I really can't see any fine dust but doesn't mean it's not present.

I have an all Def Tech speaker setup that is why I posted here.

Thanks all for your comments.

Audiomanz

eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 08:45 PM 02-15-2013
You covered up your gear, and you can't see the fine dust. I wouldn't worry about it. Vacuum regularly and you'll be fine.
audiomanz's Avatar audiomanz 08:28 AM 02-16-2013
Thanks eljaycanuck for your reply. Well I know that just normal dust can get into equipment all the time. However I just needed to know what would fine sand dust could do to equipment. Someone said to me don't worry the fine dust wouldn't make it's way as far as your living room. I still placed the drop sheets on them anyways. I found an opening I missed when I was covering my gear. Thought maybe fine sand dust got in there as well.

Anyways, thanks again for your reply. Appreciate it. smile.gif
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 08:52 AM 02-16-2013
Quote:
However I just needed to know what would fine sand dust could do to equipment.
I guess it would depend on how much dust made it into your gear. A fine dusting of it shouldn't matter. If you're concerned, you could always buy a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of your gear.
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 01:06 PM 02-16-2013
Just in case you're really worried. Has to do with vintage equipment but covers your needs nonetheless: http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Vintage-Stereo-Equipment
audiomanz's Avatar audiomanz 09:58 PM 02-19-2013
Thanks everyone for the great advice. Guess I'm lucky I did cover everything up thus preventing a disaster in the works.

eljaycanuck- great ht system you have there. Which speakers and subs are you running? Really cool setup.

Thanks again.

audiomanz
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 06:55 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great advice. Guess I'm lucky I did cover everything up thus preventing a disaster in the works.
Glad to hear the system's clean. smile.gif
Quote:
eljaycanuck- great ht system you have there. Which speakers and subs are you running? Really cool setup.
Thanks! smile.gif I'm running Paradigm Studio 60v4s + CC-690v5 + dual ChaseHT SS-18.1s up front, and Studio 20v4s in back. cool.gif

(Click here or on my signature, below, for pics and more info, if you're interested.)
Up
Mobile  Desktop