Help needed with buying decisions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the midst of building a 7.2 channel home theater and I have narrowed my speaker and amplifier choices down based on professional reviews, speaker design, and installation flexibility.

The problem I am running into is the inability to audition all of the speakers on my list because dealers in my area do not have them on display. frown.gif I would like to know if any of the members here have experience with any or all of the speakers I am considering. The room is 20x20x10 ft. and a Pioneer Elite SC-55 will be used for processing. The speakers will be used for movies and sports only.

Speakers under consideration:

Klipsch THX Ultra2 – not available for audition.
Triad InRoom Gold LCR & OnWall Gold Surround – not available for audition.
Atlantic Technology 8200e – not available for audition.
MK Sound S-150MKII & S-150T – auditioned.
B&W CT 7.3 LCRS – will be auditioned soon.

I listened to the old version of the MK Sound S-150MKII in a 7.1 configuration with a Marantz processor and ATI amp. The system was loud, detailed, and dynamic but the high frequencies were fatiguing. The demo room did not have any acoustical treatments and I wasn’t sure if the piercing sound was due to the ATI amp or the lack of acoustic treatment. confused.gif

Amps under consideration:

McIntosh MC8207
Parasound Halo A51 & A21
Krell S-1500/7
Anthem Statement A5 & A2
Acurus A2007

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Of those speakers, the only one I would be likely to recommend if asked by a friend.would be the Atlantic speakers. The others are not to my taste.

Others I would suggest that you consider would be the Gallo CL-3 (which I have and love...lol)., and speakers from the KEF Reference series. The PSB Imagine T2 is also nice.

You can get a pair of the Gallo CL-3 speakers for $1600, on a 60-day FREE home trial basis; shipping both ways paid and a full refund. I can hardly imagine anyone hearing them and not keeping them, but returning them IS an option.

IMO the CL-3 is one of the best speakers you can get for under $5000. They sound just about as good as the Vandersteen 3A speakers at my other home (which cost nearly $5000). They are truly a steal at that online direct price (add dealer markup and they would sell for $1000 more).

I strongly urge you to NOT buy anything until you hear it in your home for at least a week. Store auditions are worthless, since the acoustics and associated equipment are totally different. Find a way to audition at home.

I use the Bryston 3BSST amplifier, which is about as good as you can get IMO.

Another very good one is the Vincent SP-331 MK, which is VERY good, and only $2500.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Your narrowed choices seem strange to be honest... These are not the speakers commonly reviewed / recommended on the forums. Can you specify some more your speaker design and installation flexibility limitations.

I can't in all honesty recommend any of the speakers you listed because I have not heard them and I have never seen them recommended here. It seems you read reviews but not reviews of real AVS forum peeps... Professional reviews are one tool..but by far not the only tool to judge speakers. I rather have 500 people that own the speaker and love it tell me to get it than one guy that spent two weeks with the speaker and is being paid to review it.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Of those speakers, the only one I would be likely to recommend if asked by a friend.would be the Atlantic speakers. The others are not to my taste.

Others I would suggest that you consider would be the Gallo CL-3 (which I have and love...lol)., and speakers from the KEF Reference series. The PSB Imagine T2 is also nice.

You can get a pair of the Gallo CL-3 speakers for $1600, on a 60-day FREE home trial basis; shipping both ways paid and a full refund. I can hardly imagine anyone hearing them and not keeping them, but returning them IS an option.

IMO the CL-3 is one of the best speakers you can get for under $5000. They sound just about as good as the Vandersteen 3A speakers at my other home (which cost nearly $5000). They are truly a steal at that online direct price (add dealer markup and they would sell for $1000 more).

I strongly urge you to NOT buy anything until you hear it in your home for at least a week. Store auditions are worthless, since the acoustics and associated equipment are totally different. Find a way to audition at home.

I use the Bryston 3BSST amplifier, which is about as good as you can get IMO.

Another very good one is the Vincent SP-331 MK, which is VERY good, and only $2500.

Thanks for the suggestions! I just stretched my budget to include a couple Bryston amps cool.gif
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Your narrowed choices seem strange to be honest... These are not the speakers commonly reviewed / recommended on the forums. Can you specify some more your speaker design and installation flexibility limitations.

I can't in all honesty recommend any of the speakers you listed because I have not heard them and I have never seen them recommended here. It seems you read reviews but not reviews of real AVS forum peeps... Professional reviews are one tool..but by far not the only tool to judge speakers. I rather have 500 people that own the speaker and love it tell me to get it than one guy that spent two weeks with the speaker and is being paid to review it.

I will be upgrading from a 55" TV to a projection system next year and I want to get new speakers now. I'd like to use the speakers on stands but later I might want to put them behind an acoustically transparent screen or inside custom cabinetry. A wall mounting option would be nice too wink.gif

Pro reviews are always taken with a grain of salt. It isn't easy to find multiple pro reviews on the same product. I'd like to hear from the equipment owners or get some suggestions for other brands.