Help Making a Final 3.1 Speaker Decision with $5k Budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been lurking for the last few months as I begin to make my first serious plunge into this hobby. This community has been incredibly helpful in getting me oriented with all of the available options in speakers and electronics. It's been over 10 years since I got my first surround set-up (Infinity RS4 floorstanders, small Infinity center, bookshelf Polk rears) that I still use, so it's time for an upgrade.

So, I thought I'd start the 1 millionth "what speakers should I buy" thread as my first post (followed by many more posts on how to get the speakers set up properly with my Marantz 5006 smile.gif At the very least I've learned from all of the other speaker threads to audition as many speakers as I can within my budget before making a decision. So far I've heard:

MA RX6
Revel (don't remember model)
PSB Image T5
Klipsch RF52 II
B&W 683
B&W CM8
Kef Q300
Focal 826W
Paradigm Studio 60
Kef R500

Based on these auditions I've discovered I like a warmer sound with a bit of brightness/clarity on the high end. The Klipsch sound was too much, but I found many of the other speakers (e.g. PSB and B&W) to be too reserved or clinical (if that makes sense). So far I like the Focal 826W (out of my budget, but the 826V would work) and Kef R500 the best. They will be used for 75% HT and 25% music, but I'm looking for something that brings me back to spending more time with my CD collection.

So, assuming I like the sound and looks of both Focal and Kef equally, is there any reason to choose one over the other? Resale value, electronics, build, reputation/dependability, placement (has to be near a rear wall), etc.?

Any non-ID (not willing to pay for shipments back and forth) brands worth auditioning that I haven't already?

And finally, any sub recs under $1k? Family room is10ft to MLP and 25ft wide but with attached hallway to other rooms and connected to kitchen (i.e. not sealed off), and a 14ft sloped ceiling. I've been looking at the Rythmik F12.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You have so many options it's really hard to get a consensus. I would spend more on the sub given your room size, a pair should be highly considered for the smoothest in room response and best integration. A possible $5k system for example

http://www.nhthifi.com/Four_Left?sc=12&category=3773

http://www.nhthifi.com/Three-C?sc=12&category=3774

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/D15SE.html
post #3 of 30 Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, Jay1. I'll definitely consider the larger rythmik sub to fill my space. I don't think a sub pair will pass the wife test, but a larger single sub will be okay.

Haven't heard NHT. Any comments on how the sound compares to Focal of Kef? The Four Floor has a 10" sub built in. Any reason to include this in a tower if I'm already planning on a good independent sub?
post #4 of 30 Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
I wouldn't call the side firing 10" woofers subs. The main benefit would be being able to cross your sub over much lower if needed, you also get stronger and cleaner mid bass from you mains.

Those Rythmik's are an 18" x 18" foot print, piano gloss finish, with no visible woofer. Sounds like fancy furniture to me wink.gif
post #5 of 30 Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
It is funny, but I auditioned many of the speakers you listed and my favorites were also the Focal 826v, Kef R series (I heard the 700, not the 500) and the Tannoy Precision 6.2. I ended up getting a set of the new SVS Ultra towers. They will pay for shipping both ways, so you could try those. I am not using a sub though, and one of the biggest strengths of the Ultras is their bass. Aperion will also pay for shipping both ways for their Versus Grand set.

As far as Focal vs. Kef, I listened in different stores so it is hard to say which I liked better. I would see if you could get them home to do a real A B comparison. Both lines have decent looking center channel and surrounds, so you should be able to complete a 5.1 setup either way. The only real advantage on paper is the Focals have a higher sensitivity, so they may need a bit less power to get loud. I think you have narrowed it down to 2 great options.

Oh, one last thing. It seems like the Focals are front ported while the Kefs are rear ported (I would confirm this visually). If that is the case, the Kefs may not like being super close to the wall. How far away are we talking?

post #6 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I think that the PSB Image T6 is one of the best speakers around; I had them for 2 years and never heard anything I didn't like on any kind of music; that is a strong statement.

The KEF R500 is another very good one.

I think almost anyone would be very happy with them.

For a sub, I definitely recommend the NHT B12D sub! It is only $700, and is the cleanest most linear sub I have ever heard for under $1000. It uses a sealed acoustic-suspension design which tends to eliminate peaks and resonances that are prevalent in most other subs. It is also smaller than other 12-inch subs; a 14 inch cube.

I used it with my T6 speakers and am currently using it with a pair of Gallo Acoustics CL-3 speakers (which have sound to DIE for, if you could afford $1600 for a pair; free shipping both ways and a 60-day free trial, by the way).
post #7 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Revel (don't remember model)
PSB Image T5
Klipsch RF52 II
B&W 683
B&W CM8
Kef Q300
Focal 826W
Paradigm Studio 60
Kef R500

I have heard the Paradigm Studio 60 and couldn't recommend it even a little bit. I didn't like anything in the Paradigm Studio line from the 100 to the 10's.

PSB Image T5 -- These were decent...but something about being a tad reserved and the sound stage...just didnt do it for me. I heard the PSB a ton and didn't like them either. It stands to reason some if I didnt like the Paradigm I wouldnt like the PSB.

B&W -- I liked both lines that you list ...I give them a solid B+ but when I looked at value I marked them down. I put them on my list but thought I was paying allot for the name.

Kef R I liked ALLOT more than Kef Q... Just a different level to my hears details, bass...

Focal and Revel are good choices.

Now all that being said there are choices missing from here that I think you should give a shot to... SVS and Aperion .. Now you said you don't want to pay shipping... I only put SVS and Aperion into the mix because you don't pay shipping either way if you decide you dont like them.

There was a 2k-3k shoot out where SVS Ultra just won and Aperion has many many great followers. If there is any place you can audition a Song Tower or Phil I would try. You may or may not like the Raal tweater but for clarity and transparency ...it is amazing.

If we have to stick to your list... Then my vote would be on the Kef R.
post #8 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look into the SVS and Aperion lines.

Newbie....Looks like our tastes are similar. Your impression of the PSB, Paradigm and B&W mirror mine exactly.

NewHT....Unfortunately my dealer only has Focal for demo, not Kef, so the only way to do a side-by-side is to purchase the Kefs and then compare with the demo Focals. I could always sell the Kefs if I decide on the Focals. This is an option I'm considering since I got a pretty good price on the Kefs and probably will lose little to nothing in resale. The speakers can be placed ~6-12" from the rear wall. Do you think that is enough room for a rear-ported speaker? I had some MA RX6s (rear ported) at home for a demo and I didn't think the bass was overwhelming even without port bungs.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

It is funny, but I auditioned many of the speakers you listed and my favorites were also the Focal 826v, Kef R series (I heard the 700, not the 500) and the Tannoy Precision 6.2. I ended up getting a set of the new SVS Ultra towers. They will pay for shipping both ways, so you could try those. I am not using a sub though, and one of the biggest strengths of the Ultras is their bass. Aperion will also pay for shipping both ways for their Versus Grand set.

As far as Focal vs. Kef, I listened in different stores so it is hard to say which I liked better. I would see if you could get them home to do a real A B comparison. Both lines have decent looking center channel and surrounds, so you should be able to complete a 5.1 setup either way. The only real advantage on paper is the Focals have a higher sensitivity, so they may need a bit less power to get loud. I think you have narrowed it down to 2 great options.

Oh, one last thing. It seems like the Focals are front ported while the Kefs are rear ported (I would confirm this visually). If that is the case, the Kefs may not like being super close to the wall. How far away are we talking?

Yep I would have to agree being there to listen to the Ultra speakers, they look nice and sound amazing!!! I too went through the same thing myself with Salk Songtowers and Kef R300/ R500, I ended up with the Salks due to how great Jim was to work with so maybe another idea to through in there as well.

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #10 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwaste View Post

Yep I would have to agree being there to listen to the Ultra speakers, they look nice and sound amazing!!! I too went through the same thing myself with Salk Songtowers and Kef R300/ R500, I ended up with the Salks due to how great Jim was to work with so maybe another idea to through in there as well.

I completely agree. My HT setup is a 7 channel Focal Chorus 700V series setup (which is very similar to the 800V series) and I think it's pretty fantastic. Very intelligible dialog even at low listening levels and very good overall sound. No complaints with them whatsoever. However, they are not in the same league as my Salk SC SongTowers when it comes to sound quality or fit and finish. If possible, I would try to find a local owner and audition some Salks. A $5k budget is about perfect for SongTowers, SongCenter and a Salk/Rythmik sub.
post #11 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsdms View Post

I completely agree. My HT setup is a 7 channel Focal Chorus 700V series setup (which is very similar to the 800V series) and I think it's pretty fantastic. Very intelligible dialog even at low listening levels and very good overall sound. No complaints with them whatsoever. However, they are not in the same league as my Salk SC SongTowers when it comes to sound quality or fit and finish. If possible, I would try to find a local owner and audition some Salks. A $5k budget is about perfect for SongTowers, SongCenter and a Salk/Rythmik sub.

I considered the Salk. The problem with them, as well as the SVS and Aperion, is size. My current towers are 33" high, and my wife already finds them intrusive in the family room. Getting 44"+ speakers probably isn't going to fly. The Kefs might even be pushing it. Unfortunately there needs to be a compromise between sound and aesthetics, which also eliminates contenders like the Phil 2s. Of course when I buy my next house there will be a dedicated listening room and the bigger the better speakers. smile.gif
post #12 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

So, it doesn't seem that anyone has an opinion on something objective between the Focal and Kef speakers, except possibly sensitivity? BTW, I have a Marantz 5006 which is rated at 100Wx7, so I assume I'll be ok even with less sensitive speakers since I doubt I'll be anywhere near reference levels while listening to movies or music.
post #13 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 PM

have you considered Ascend towers with matching center?
post #14 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I would like to put forward something a bit different... Newform Research

Now, I currently own PSB Imagine and Image models, Monitor Audio GXs and even some Dynaudio monitors.

About six months ago I took a chance on some secondhand Newform Research R630 two-way towers.

I love what these speakers do.! Soundstage is very wide and tall and at the same time very focused and lifelike. They make all my other speakers sound like music coming from a box in comparison. They may not be the best looking speakers around (possibly they maybe some of the ugliest speakers around) but I am in agreement with many of those reviews at audioreview that I linked to about what these do for music. Orchestral, folk, jazz etc comes to life. I feel I will be quite happy with these speakers for a long long time and have lost my cravings for trying out different speakers. I am very content with these now.

I just don't see Newform Research getting mentioned around here a lot so would like to put a word in for them. Their webpage has a lot of good info in it as well.
post #15 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

have you considered Ascend towers with matching center?

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Ascend offers to/from shipping in their 30-day guarantee. I don't like the idea of having to pay $200 in shipping fees if I don't like the sound.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobio View Post

I considered the Salk. The problem with them, as well as the SVS and Aperion, is size. My current towers are 33" high, and my wife already finds them intrusive in the family room. Getting 44"+ speakers probably isn't going to fly. The Kefs might even be pushing it. Unfortunately there needs to be a compromise between sound and aesthetics, which also eliminates contenders like the Phil 2s. Of course when I buy my next house there will be a dedicated listening room and the bigger the better speakers. smile.gif

There is always the SongBirds for fronts. 35" tall, very slim and, if you are crossing over to a sub, more than adequate for fronts (though, not super efficient). As far as WAF goes, I don't think it gets much better than Salks. They are finished like extremely fine furniture and look more like works of art than speakers.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Ascend offers to/from shipping in their 30-day guarantee. I don't like the idea of having to pay $200 in shipping fees if I don't like the sound.

Nope...Ascend charges for Towers shipping. Only two I know pay both ways is SVS and Aperion.
post #18 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsdms View Post

There is always the SongBirds for fronts. 35" tall, very slim and, if you are crossing over to a sub, more than adequate for fronts (though, not super efficient). As far as WAF goes, I don't think it gets much better than Salks. They are finished like extremely fine furniture and look more like works of art than speakers.

For a 5.1 system..I am reluctant to recommend ST. Not they are not excellent speakers...for my 2 cents (so take it exactly for what it is worth) they didn't put the time or effort into the ST center. A 2 way ported MTM design = sort of bleh. I know that a center came out after the ST did..but you have to move up to their next line to get a 3 way center...and then it starts to get pricey. 1750ish. I am not sure that would be a tone and timber match either...although it should be.
post #19 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

For a 5.1 system..I am reluctant to recommend ST. Not they are not excellent speakers...for my 2 cents (so take it exactly for what it is worth) they didn't put the time or effort into the ST center. A 2 way ported MTM design = sort of bleh. I know that a center came out after the ST did..but you have to move up to their next line to get a 3 way center...and then it starts to get pricey. 1750ish. I am not sure that would be a tone and timber match either...although it should be.

Thanks for this. The center is a big concern for me since this system will be 80%+ HT.
post #20 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hi, you have some solid choices and glad you are listening instead of the same old pick my speakers for me threads! Horrible way to buy speakers.

My favorite speakers around are by Focal and Dynaudio. Very different materials in the drivers, metal vs soft but I love and respect both brands.

I might also suggest you check out Dynaudio Excite or Focus. Dynaudio has been my choice for a number of years.

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_loudspeaker_systems/index.php

I also am running a B&W CM series in my bedroom and I have been more than surprised at the quality of build and sound. I had a bunch of gift cards for Best Buy/Magnolia and broke my Focal/Dynaudio typical purchase. The CM series is quite nice.

If you can audition Dynaudio I highly recommend it...

Rick

post #21 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:

So, you are going to discount a speaker that you've never heard based on the fact that, numerically, 3 is greater than 2? All of the Song* series are 2 way designs. The Focal center is also a 2 way ported MTM design.
post #22 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM

Liked: 17
I haven't personally heard any of the Internet direct brands, but I've heard great things about the Salk Song Towers, although I've also heard that the matching center is a bit underwhelming. For that reason, the Ascend Sierra-1s with the matching large Horizon center might be a better route if you want to go with Internet direct brands. The Ascends seem like quite the bargain as well, although the Salks look nicer with their gorgeous veneers.

Regarding dealer brands, these days I personally like both Dynaudio and Focal. Both are quality products with excellent build quality that are fairly priced. I'd look at the Dynaudio Excite X32 or X36 with the matching center and the Focal 836W with the matching center. You can probably get a better discount on the Focals than the Dynaudios and I think they're a better value even without the discount figured in.
post #23 of 30 Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Softdome and justindo...thanks for the recs. I have a dealer about 45 min away that carries Dynaudio, but nothing in my price range. Same price problem with the Focal 836W, though I really loved the sound of those. My budget has to take into consideration our high Cali tax rate, so it's really closer to $4500. So if I have a sub at ~$1000, I need the front three at $3500.

It's been so much fun listening to all of the speakers that I've demo'ed so far; I think of it as my wife's equivalent of a spa day. However, I've been at this for a few months now and need to pull the trigger. Focal and Kef are my final choices. Any reason I should lean one way or the other? The main difference right now is that for the Focal I'll most likely stay with the 726V+center since I can't find a reason to pay for the 826V, and with the Kef it will be the R500+center. It's a pretty big price difference.

I'm realizing that the fun part of this hobby is listening to all of the different pieces and how they contribute to a system. Can't wait to have a dedicated media room in the future and auditioning all of the great speakers that everyone has mentioned. Especially since the next focus will be 2-channel music.
post #24 of 30 Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
where in cali are you? Justindo and I are in socal and have been to sunny components. He has a pretty good stock of Dyns on hand that you can listen to. I would agree with the other guys that you might like the Excite X32s for performance and form factor. Otherwise if your wife will go with bookshelfs the Focus 160s would be another option. Ive heard the focal 807s, they were similar to the Excites X16s I had owned. I have not heard the new Kef R series, I just recently heard the Q500 and Ive heard the older iQ and xQ lines, personally kef doesnt move me any. But if they are the best ones you hear, go for them.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #25 of 30 Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Bottom line is, all these mentioned speakers sound completely different from one another, but pretty much anyone of them would make you pretty happy. biggrin.gif
post #26 of 30 Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

I have SongTower's and a SongCenter with ribbon in my HT, and it is not "bleh." Have you even heard a SongCenter? Did you notice they mounted the tweeter higher than the woofers to help improve dispersion over a standard mtm center? Did you know Jim will build you a custom SongCenter with a dedicated mid if you want?

If you haven't heard the SongCenter then why are you commenting on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Bottom line is, all these mentioned speakers sound completely different from one another, but pretty much anyone of them would make you pretty happy. biggrin.gif

I doubt that. Based on what he's mentioned already he's looking for a particular sound, and each of the speakers mentioned sound different, which means he likely won't be happy with all of them. Your comment goes completely against what he has stated. rolleyes.gif
Quote:

You're really limiting yourself if mid 30ish high (inches) speakers are as tall as you can go. Bummer.

I prefer the Kef's over the Focals, although I prefer some of the other speakers mentioned in this thread over both of them, which is why you should really go listen to them again and decide that way. Your ears will tell you which to buy (or maybe your wife will - LOL). smile.gif

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #27 of 30 Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I doubt that. Based on what he's mentioned already he's looking for a particular sound, and each of the speakers mentioned sound different, which means he likely won't be happy with all of them. Your comment goes completely against what he has stated. rolleyes.gif

The problem is the way you compare speakers. They are in different rooms, different setup, different times, not level matched. It's never a fair fight. It's not apples to apples. rolleyes.gif

So if they were in the same room and level matched, the results may be totally different.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I have learned on here...and please dont get me wrong I am not an expert... I am just some guy that has listened to 50 or so speaker brands and read ..a fair amout of forum gossip over the last 4 months.

(Let me say for the record... Jim Salk probably has more knowledge of speakers and sound in his smallest hair on his pinky toe than I have in my whole body...)

But...what I have learned is this:

If people disagree with you they will throw out the question... "Have you personally listened to X speaker?"

If you answer yes...then they can discount your dislike of a speaker becomes of EXACTLY what Acu Def Tech Guy said... Different setup, amps, room, bad setup, no room treatment, no sub, bad sub, too much sub, etc etc.
Or if you have not, then your opinion based on paper reviews of the product and other people's reviews is just plan wrong... Sound does not translate only to what is on paper.

Either way you answer... they can discount your dislike of X speaker. There is no right answer.

As far as the ST center... I was not aware that in the design they off-set the tweeter to compensate for off-axis response in his MTM design. Even with an MTM design on the ST center if you get the upgraded center with a RAAL off-center should be good to very good.

At least from my studying the issue...there are more negatives to an MTM design than just off-axis response.

...I just edited this...because after reading all the 2-way vs. 3-way posts...I have to admit that there are allot of arguments for and against and no clear winner. I will have to defer to those that know more and research some more...

Since center channel is VERY VERY important for a 5.1 system... I tender the opinion that it should be as good...or better..at producing sound as your L/R..if your emphasis for your system is on HT over Music. That being said.. I dont think the 2 way MTM is the equal of the ST...ON PAPER.

(For the record. I have heard the ST, SST and the SS8...but not the ST Center. I liked all Jim's speakers that I have heard very much.)
post #29 of 30 Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM

Liked: 17
This is my experience only, but I've yet to hear a speaker that sounded better at a dealer than in my own listening rooms, but this only applies to the half-dozen speakers I've auditioned and owned. I'm not saying my rooms or electronics have been vastly superior to the shop's, but I think that careful placement and perhaps a smaller room were responsible for the results.

I am in SoCal too and am painfully aware of our state's/county's despicable sales tax rate, which seems to get worse year by year. That said, the Dynaudios I purchased (granted, this was a decade ago, although it was during the dotcom boom when many Californians were 401K millionaires) I was able to get 30% off NIB special order. A local Focal dealer offered me 30% off special order speakers within five minutes of coming in the store, so the Ws are not out of your price range. If you really like the Focals, I think they may be a good bet. If you're leaning toward monitors, the Dynaudio Focus, based on my in-store listening, have superior imaging and depth to the Focal Ws, although they are more expensive. I'd take some time to audition the two.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

The problem is the way you compare speakers. They are in different rooms, different setup, different times, not level matched. It's never a fair fight. It's not apples to apples. rolleyes.gif

So if they were in the same room and level matched, the results may be totally different.

A good speaker will sound good in a variety of rooms. Just because you need them all in the same room to be a "fair" comparison or hear the differences doesn't mean everyone else does. There are many capable of comparing in a variety of scenarios. Your're starting to sound like a broken record, pushing the same opinions as facts over and over here and on Audioholics. Calm down ADTG - not everyone is going to agree with you, especially when you're wrong. wink.gif
Quote:

But...what I have learned is this:

If people disagree with you they will throw out the question... "Have you personally listened to X speaker?"

If you answer yes...then they can discount your dislike of a speaker becomes of EXACTLY what Acu Def Tech Guy said... Different setup, amps, room, bad setup, no room treatment, no sub, bad sub, too much sub, etc etc.
Or if you have not, then your opinion based on paper reviews of the product and other people's reviews is just plan wrong... Sound does not translate only to what is on paper.

Either way you answer... they can discount your dislike of X speaker. There is no right answer.

You're right, that happens a lot. However, someone who's never heard a speaker but praises it or trashes it should not be listened to. Period. They have zero credibility. Objective measurements are very valuable, but they won't tell you if you'll like the speaker in your room. Listening is the number 1 important factor in choosing a speaker. Measurements are #2, and everything else is a distant last. Listen, listen listen. smile.gif Speaking of which, listening in your own room is ideal, of course. My point is that it's not the only place to properly evaluate them or get a feel for their sound.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page