Would Audyssey MultEQ XT help a 2.1 system compared to MultiEQ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm looking over a few different receivers that either have MutliEQ or MultEQ XT. I'm not entirely sure, but I thought I read that the higher version, XT, will only help if you have satellite speakers. I'm only going to be running a 2.1 system at the moment (pair of RTi4's and a BIC F12) but will eventually get a center channel. Is the higher cost for MultiEQ XT worth it if only running a 2.1 or 3.1? Or does it only show during a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Yes. MultEQ XT can help.

But I can see where you are getting that idea about only helping the surrounds. Here is the Audyssey information page. In the table at the bottom, they list the number of filters for "satellites" and "subwoofers" for the different versions. But by satellites, they mean all the speakers other than the sub.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Xt32 would even help more, audyssey also works on 2 or 2.1 channels. How much always depends on setup and room. Best if you would be able to try one out in your home. Audyssey can be a nice bonus or the best feature depending on results in your own room.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #4 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It really depends on the room... It could help..it may not. May want to try an XT 32 system like Onkyo 818 and then try a version that has less Audiology and see if you can hear a differance.

It all depends on the sound characteristics of the room you are in.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

It really depends on the room... It could help..it may not. May want to try an XT 32 system like Onkyo 818 and then try a version that has less Audiology and see if you can hear a differance.

It all depends on the sound characteristics of the room you are in.

I guess I will have to try it out and see. Some of these Pioneers are also tempting because I also know that MCAAC is more customizable as in you can fine tune your settings. With Audyssey, however, once you change some of the settings it gives you, Audyssey is no longer in effect. Does this ever sway any of you to stay away from Audyssey due to having no input from the user?

I appreciate the responses. Thanks!
post #6 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Audyssey applies EQ to the sub and speakers. MCAAC only the speakers. Subs typically need EQ help in a room, so that's a big plus.

I personally wouldn't trade the sub EQ in Audyssey for customization of the EQ filters with MCAAC unless you are determined to get into buying a special calibration microphone, doing room measurements, and using REW to do your own room corrections. Most people on AVS don't bother with that except for the very serious enthusiasts who generally have much more money put into their setup. And even many of the serious enthusiasts choose to go with Audyssey anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #7 of 12 Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
My main interest is in two channel music. My problem is that my LR mains are a bit light in the low base and so I now use my sub in the old school fashion via its analog crossover. It is tough to get the sub integrated perfectly. (spl and time domain)

So my question.... will Audyssey MultEQ XT32 do a better job of integrating the sub using two channel content (redbook CD). (both SPL and in the time domain)....

I assume my sub is at least as fast as my older Mains.

The audessy site is god awful in explaining what they process.... I assume that a satellite to them is also your LR mains and that XT32 uses high resolution filters and then corrects the L R and low effect sub outputs accordingly. I assume that XT32 AVRs have a 2.1 channel mode that you can toggle on.

Am I on target here.?? Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA
post #8 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My older Denon AVR-888 with regular MultEQ does apply Audyssey to 2.1 channel unless I choose for it not to. And yes. Satellites to Audyssey are all your speakers other than the subs.

Did you know that AVS has an Official Audyssey thread? Good place to get very specific answers to questions. And you might like their Audyssey FAQ.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcatman View Post

My main interest is in two channel music. My problem is that my LR mains are a bit light in the low base and so I now use my sub in the old school fashion via its analog crossover. It is tough to get the sub integrated perfectly. (spl and time domain)

So my question.... will Audyssey MultEQ XT32 do a better job of integrating the sub using two channel content (redbook CD). (both SPL and in the time domain)....

I assume my sub is at least as fast as my older Mains.

The audessy site is god awful in explaining what they process.... I assume that a satellite to them is also your LR mains and that XT32 uses high resolution filters and then corrects the L R and low effect sub outputs accordingly. I assume that XT32 AVRs have a 2.1 channel mode that you can toggle on.

Am I on target here.?? Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA
More information would be helpful:
What receiver do you have?
What speakers do you have?
What sub do you have?
Do you have the ability to measure your response?

The general answer is that Audyssey XT32 does a good job of integrating the sub with the mains, especially if you're just using one sub. If you're using multiple subs, Audyssey can usually be improved on, but it requires the ability to measure your response. Also, the benefit of Audyssey increases if the user has done a good job of integrating the sub into the room prior to running Audyssey, with placement and listening position. That is also easier to accomplish with measurement equipment.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #10 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Whatever version of Audyssey you end up with, I'd recommend using something like this 150Hz to 0HZ bass drop to make sure the low end output is null free. Given that sine tones are said to put a surprising amount of stress on speakers, I'd stay away from max volume while doing this.

post #11 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Yes..more filters

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #12 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks
my system now is a mix of two channel and HT. My two channel system is a levinson transport and Sonic frontiers SFD! mkii Dac to an Audio Research ls 15 pre to Classe CA 2 channel amp feeding Kef 104-2s with a velodyne sub.. the sub is fed L and R two channel from the AR's second pair out out put posts and crossed over at about 80 HZ.

For HT. I use a Yamaha 750 AV and pass through the two channel LR 's from the pre out to the AR and Classe amps. I don't connect the LFE channel to the sub (because it is low pass filtering the seperate LR feeds) and use the Yamaha YAPO system for room management. with 5.0 speakers (L R C SR SR) It is passable.

So, I keep looking at the Audessy AV amps processors with the XT32 processors and wonder if such a digital front end would process 2 channel from the Levinson or a USB from PC input and process a 2.1 channel singal output that is better then the stand alone two channel system using analog filtering.

I use the YAPO mic with the autocalibration of the reciever... I don't have a calibrated mic or SPL meter.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page