Need help with selecting HT speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - Long time lurker and finally decided to sign up for an account as I will finally be moving in my own house and would like to set-up a home theater for 60% music & 40% movie play. I have had a demo with various bundled units today at a local dealer (in Singapore) and have set my eyes on a few combinations.

What I am looking in the A/V receiver..
5.1+ channel, airplay (pref but I already have an apple tv), 5+ hdmi in, 4k upscaling, wifi ready, planning to connect WD Hub TV live, Sony Blu Ray, Apple TV, Cable TV set top, Samsung 46" LED TV

What am I looking in the speakers..
Clarity, decent low range, good bass sound, crisp mids, don't really like cranking up the volume so happy with mid-high vol range, versatility with different genre

Fav music
A perfect circle, Deftones, Pink Floyd, Dave Matthews, Slipknot, Incubus, Porcupine Tree, Megadeth et al

Here are the 3 packages I am eyeing at the moment,

1. Onkyo tx nr616 + Jamo S606 HCS6 5.1 = SGD 2500
Previewed Transformers 3 on a HT setup and unit sounded crisp with at all freq, I could hear the dialogues during fight sequences as well as the surround did not disappoint.
For music, previewed Adele - Set fire to the rain (Royal Albert Hall concert live) - sounded really good but the sub cracked at really high vol levels. I really loved the clarity with all instruments, vocals were clear, lows were soothing.

2. Denon AVR2313 + Boston Acoustic: A360(floor standing) + A225(centre) + A26WG(bookshelf) + ASW650WG(10" Sub) = SGD 3500
Previewed the same as above, the sound was thick on the lows, Airplayed a song from my iPhone (heavy metal) but couldn't feel the punch (could possibly be due to itunes compression). The unit was loud and did not crack at high levels, but the surround was missing while previewing Transformers unlike Jamo (above), probably because the surrounds were stacked way up.

3. Marantz Sr5007 + Boston Acoustic: A360(floor standing) + 5.1 A2310HTS = SGD 2700
Previewed the same + Airplay, the sound was comparable to #2 however I felt the 5.1 package offered cheaper quality speakers. Overall sound was thick, the beats were thick too and the overall clarity of the instruments played were missing. The movie experience was and the unit was decently loud but not as much as the 2nd.

I really liked #1 however read some negative reviews about Jamo S606, the cheap tweeter and inferior parts used to develop the unit. In terms of receivers, I like all of them as they can keep up with my requirements (onkyo needs a wifi dongle which is free of cost if I buy #1).

Would love to hear your suggestions/recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page