Upgrading L/C/R need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have fairly large area 6500 ft^3 that I might replace my infinity primus in. Or put these in a smaller room 3400 ft^3. My budget would be around 1200 for all three. They are being powered by a denon 2112. Which I'll be upgrading in the next couple of months or so.

What I am currently looking at:

L/R: Kef q300
C: Kef q600
Shipped $949

L/R Focal 814v
C: Focal CC814v
Shipped $1215

Are there any other speakers I should be looking at that I am missing. I've heard the Kefs at a friends house in a much smaller room and I really liked the way the sounded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM

Liked: 14
That is a larger room. Can you use a tower for the center? If so - 3 of these would be fantastic.
http://www.frys.com/product/7386304?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I haven't listen to the Kef but considering the size of your room, you might want to consider Q500/Q200, Q700/Q200, or Q700,Q600.

I have heard the Focal's and they are very nice and that is a great price. The surrounds are pricey!

Good Luck.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Liked: 17
I own the Focals and think they're great speakers for the price. They're efficient too, so they should play pretty loud in a large room like yours. I haven't heard the KEFs.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Are you using a sub? Is your listening mostly HT/TV or do you also listen to a lot of music (2 channel stereo)?

If you're using a sub (or sub's) and listening primarily to HT/TV the Q300's will fill the room fine. It might be worth noting that a third Q300 as a center would give you an excellent, even front soundstage. (Another pair of Q300's is actually a bit cheaper than a Q600. And because it's a concentric speaker you can lay it on it's side if you need to for space reasons.)

If you listen to a lot of 2 channel stereo music I would agree that you should consider towers for LR fronts in a room that size.

I haven't heard the Focals but they get universally good reviews, and that special pricing on A4L is a rare deal.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
It's going to be half HT/music. I have two vtf-15's.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 PM

Liked: 20
Sorry for the dumb question. What's the difference between a center and a LCR? I understand the LCR will play both left center and right signals...but I believe I see people using LCR's as a center in combination with a front left / right main speakers?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I have a question regarding replacing my R/L and C speakers and figured this would be the place. I don't have anything high end. I bought the onkyo ht-s5400 package over a year ago and have been more than happy with it. However I have decided I want to upgrade my front speakers. Now being pretty noobish with this stuff still, I want to be sure what I'm going to do will work. Now I'm not spending money at all, but I am going to be getting the yamaha ns-c444 and a set of ns-333(brand new and basically free) to replace my R/L and center speakers that came with the package. But I want to use the current R/Lspeakers to be used as my R/Lsurrounds as they are bigger and louder. Is this something that is doable with this receiver? Thanks for any and all help.

P.S. My speaker orientation is 7.1 with my 6&7 as front highs. The only way my living room will allow.

Onkyo TX-NR929, QSC GX5, Polk Audio RtiA9's, CsiA6, F/XiA6's, RtiA3's,PSA xs30se, Xbox 360, PS3, hopper w/Sling, Samsung 55" LED, All controlled with a Harmony One
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page