Going from 2.0 to 7.2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

Currently have Dynaudio Contour 1.8mkii (along with NAD C372+C542) since 9 years and still like them very much.
But if were to go for 7.2 setup have following options considering limited budget as going with new Dynaudio contours remaining 5 channels will be quite costly.

1) Buy center contour channel and remaining cheaper 4 from other brand like polk/Q acoustics etc along with 2 polks DSW PRO 660.
2) Buy all remaining channel cheaper spks from other brand and 2 polks DSW PRO 660.
3) Buy altogether new setup i.e all new 7 channels from different brand although cheaper models and 2 polks DSW PRO 660.

Which would be best way ahead for me ? Living room size is 26' x 14' , so what would be ideal driver size for speakers ?

I thinking on lines of (3) where I can go for all 7 channels with Polk RTi A1 or Q acoustics concept 20 or something in that price range (even not go for dedicated center channel) That way I wont need to worry about it integrating well with Dynaudios.
But then wonder if I am not making use of already existing good 2 channel spks. Hence the confusion.

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
personally i would look for a used center channel to match, audiogon, ebay or whatever other used websites you have at your disposal. you could use either an older Contour T2.1 center or the Focus 200C center channel. then from there get some surrounds and a sub based on your budget and everything.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #3 of 19 Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Also a more general question : Ignoring the cost factor, is there any difference in criteria for selecting front LR channels for 2 channel vs multi-channel ? Also does placement for LR channels differ between the two scenarios ?

post #4 of 19 Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisound View Post

Also a more general question : Ignoring the cost factor, is there any difference in criteria for selecting front LR channels for 2 channel vs multi-channel ? Also does placement for LR channels differ between the two scenarios ?

I asked this question as well..and like everything got 50 different answers...

So let me share what I was told (statistics are very rough guestimates from what people said and from my reading)

1) If you listen to multi-channel music (most of us don't SACD, DVD-Audio) then 50/50 hear enough difference that they want speakers all from the same line...
2) You really want your front stage to be matched.. So L/C/R ... now there is about 35% said the best center channel is phantom channel, everyone agreed if you need a center than 3 identical speakers is optimal but that very few people can fit a tower speaker under their TV, about 10% said they use a speaker from another brand...and it matches just fine for them, the 65% said get a center to match your L/R from same brand and line within that brand.
3) If you listen to HT then most agreed that surround speakers are fine being another brand and since it is mostly ambiance sound...dont over spend here...about 65-70% think monopole speakers are best for surround speakers...vs 25-30 percent saying bi-pole / di-pole are best.

So if cost AND SPACE is no object then get 7 of the same speaker. If cost is not a factor then get 7 speakers from the same brand / line.

If cost vs. benefit gets thrown in...most would agree for HT that surrounds from another brand are just fine and to not over spend. (I had one of the most respected speaker builders in the industry tell me to get a set of $200 NHT Speakers for surrounds and be done with it. (No, the guy didn't work for NHT either tongue.gif)

Front heights are slightly more sensitive to being a different brand than rear and side surrounds. (but only slightly).

If you order from the right companies with the right return policies...listen for your self and decided. That is the best way...if not..

Hope this helps. Took me about 10 posts, 20 PM's and a week of reading to get to the above conclusion and a little push from the highly respected speaker builder I mentioned (Thanks Dennis wink.gif)
post #5 of 19 Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Newbie01 for the detailed response and summarization of your multiple posts !
It has lot of points related to my first question in post 1.

But then I was wondering if the HT and stereo demands are different. For example, I always felts maybe the HT speakers ( I don't plan to listen to multichannel music as well) may not be as high quality as 2 channel need to be. So in that case I can go for all same 7 cheaper bookshelf spks from Polk/Q Acoustics/Infinity Primus which are supposed to be very good for their price. Hence my post 3.

post #6 of 19 Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Your question number 3 depends 100% if your going to be listening to 2 channel music or not. If it is almost 100% for HT then the criteria will be the exact same for all your speakers L/R and surrounds..

If you listen to two channel music..then you want to make sure these speakers can stand on their own w/ a sub if you have one.

Basically in a 5.0 or a 7.0 system...100% for HT you get a cumulative effect...so there is no need to have great L/R...it is the sum of them all...its an average if you will.

If you listen to 2.0 music..then you want your L/R to be greater than the rest...so that you get the best 2.0 experience you can. (This also applies if you plan to forgo a Center and go Phantom center...but I think in your case wanting to go to 7.0 you wouldnt want to do this)

Now some would argue...and I think they may be right...in a HT layout...your L/R vs Surrounds done matter...but sink in some extra bucks into your center channel. So...think about how your going to use your 7.0 and determine if you need a better L/R a better C or you listen to enough mix of Movies vs. Music to splurge on L/C/R.

Again...not scientific...but your center channel in a HT by far carries the bulk of the sound weight in the system (and your sub too of course)
post #7 of 19 Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

For my 2 channel I already have Dynaudio Contours 1.8mkII, so 2 channel part is covered , though I will use the 2 subs I buy for HT, for 2 channel as well.
Its just about the HT part.

post #8 of 19 Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

My advise...

Get 6 decent matching book shelf and a nice center (splurge within same line / brand) and call it a day. Set your 2.0 system on zone 2 and use it for music... DONE.

Your choices seem...different than what I would choose ( Polk RTi A1 or Q acoustics) but we all hear things different.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Polk/Q-Acoustics/Infinity were just examples I took from price perspective. I will need to audition them. So open to other suggestions you have....

post #10 of 19 Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

What is your budget? I will try and only recommend items you can audition for free.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

$100-150 each, at the very max $200

post #12 of 19 Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Strange, that on Amazon Infinity Primus P163 is $129.99 and P363 is just $155.59!

post #13 of 19 Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Well if your going bookshelf...you can get allot for that.

Check out Ascend, EMP Tek and Aperion.

There are others but don't want to over load you. I just bought a set of Ascend 170 SE. Also, keep an eye on audiologon and ebay... No need to buy new!
post #14 of 19 Old 10-02-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

A followup on this:

Assuming I go with P163s/PC351 for fronts what would be optimal option out of these, for surrounds (side + rear)
1) 4 x P153s
2) 2 x P153s (side) + 2 x P143s(rear)
3) 4 x P143s

post #15 of 19 Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I would get 4x P153 for the surrounds and 3x P163 for the fronts. In fact, that's what I have in my living room and the sound is seamless all the way around.

Sanjay
post #16 of 19 Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sanjay...

Though there a quite a few blu rays with 7.1 content how much does one lose by playing those on 5.1 system ?
Sometimes wonder if I should just go for 5.1. More than saving in 2 spks, 5.1 receivers are quite a bit cheaper than 7.1 (at least in India)

post #17 of 19 Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Last I checked there was over 700 titles on Blu-ray with discrete 7.1 soundtracks. But that has never been the reason for going with a 7.1-speaker layout, since 2-channel material and 5.1 material can be scaled to a 7.1-speaker layout. At the time I set up my first 7.1 system (1991) there was no 5.1 material (and 7.1 material wouldn't show up for another 15 years). So, number of channels in the source material has no bearing on the number of speakers used for playback.

When playing back 7.1-channel material on a 5.1-speaker layout, you don't lose any content (all 4 surround channels will be folded down to 2 speakers). But you will lose rear-vs-side separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field. A single pair of surrounds can't be in 2 places simultaneously (at your sides AND behind you). But if that's not a priority for you (i.e., you'd rather use that money for better front speakers), then it's your choice whether to use one pair of surrounds or two.

Sanjay
post #18 of 19 Old 10-03-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe this placement will help combining the two - http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm
Although, sadly my current living room design won't allow that placement and I would need to go for sides only

Also , by losing I meant, if rear and sides have different signals quite a few times, just collapsing would be loss in surround effects, wouldn't it ?

post #19 of 19 Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not sure what you mean by "surround effects", but all the content will be there, the only thing missing will be the correct directionality (instead of separate rear and side localization, the sounds will come from a compromised location in between).

Sanjay
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page