Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hello all ,
I was curious who uses Front Height speakers and what is your experience since adding this channel?

I know nothing is recorded with this channel in mind and I only have one experience with this in one system I did. I did however think they added a nice fuller front sound stage and seemed to be more 3 dimensional. I think it would be very cool if these channels became discrete like surround back did on some recordings.
I have a new receiver with these channels and I'm ordering a pair of Gem XL's for this duty. I was going to add another pair of Mythos 10's as I have them as Surround and as my center channel. My main channel speakers are the Mythos ST's.
What I was thinking was the Gem XL's are a Hybrid Bipolar and Direct Radiating speaker which should really make for an excellent choice for this duty. I also considered using In walls in the DI 6.5 LCR due to the fact it has the same exact driver / Tweeter configuration as the rest of my system. I would then also use a Dynabox as this model speaker doesn't have a back box like most other in wall speakers made by Definitive Technology. Also I didn't want to cut open my walls , hate front height speakers or feel it was a waste of money , then have to patch and repaint. With the Gem XL's I will only have to patch a single Anchor and wire hole in the wall. Much easier repair then a full in wall.
I do however think if I really enjoy this format , I will order a pair of DI 6.5 LCR's or even go full wood on another pair of Mythos 10's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No one is rocking front heights?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have front heights. Have had them for almost 2 years now. Recently added rear surrounds as well for a 9.1 setup.

The heights, as you said, give the sound a more full feeling. I would best describe it as a wall of sound, or like having very tall tower speakers. It doesn't quite help with the effects I would like them to (like sound effects from above, helicopters, rain, etc), at least not to the extent I would like. But things like arena crowds, etc, are fantastic. Same with movie scores, and piano music. Makes it feel like a concert hall.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #4 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Very cool , what are you using as Front Heights? What are you powering them with?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Very cool , what are you using as Front Heights? What are you powering them with?

I am using Energy e:XL-16 bookshelf speakers for their 6.5" woofers. My mains are Energy RC-50s and so I wanted to match woofer size and they work better than Take Classics (3 inch woofer).

I am using a Pioneer VSX-921-K. It technically isn't a 9.1 receiver but will power the height speakers with A+B speakers.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #6 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I was curious who uses Front Height speakers and what is your experience since adding this channel?

PLIIZ is now my default. The height speakers stretch the sound stage, vertically and horizontally. It is somewhat like having a pair of large line source speakers, but much better with better sound stage imaging that can be totally front loaded in conjunction with the surrounds. The heights excel with music both CDs and especially when the full orchestra comes on during movies.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Very nice , what is your setup?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Very nice , what is your setup?

Denon 4311CI, 8 Infinity Cascade 9s (floor standing speakers), Infinity Cascade 3C (center speaker), 2 Infinity Cascade 15s (subs), 2 Hsu HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker (heights), Panasonic 65VT50 plasma, oppo 103. Can run 11.2, but virtually never use the wides via Audyssey DSX. So default is 9.2 with heights.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'd recommend that you try some easily hooked up, temporary heights if you can find a pair of speakers to beg/borrow/steal. Then go full speed ahead with whatever appeals to you.

I went to 9.2 with heights when I bought a Yamaha RX-A3010. I really like the added ambiance the extra speakers provide. But then I have a very large, wide open room for our HT. (~6500 cu.ft.) Also, the Yamaha also has a nice feature called "Dialogue Lift". You can raise the apparent source of the dialog to match the screen position. I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe it uses the heights to good advantage with that feature.

While it's not in any way a significant issue of surround system performance, it adds enough to our system that I would never go back to 7-channel. Lastly, I don't think the heights provide a strong enough presence that you need to worry about absolute timbre matching.

Good luck. I think you'll end up enjoying 9-channel performance...especially for movies. I don't notice that it does much for music...but then I usually prefer 2-channel for that, anyway.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Liked: 12
I have the front heights set up and its nice. I have it about 4 ft from my mains. A member said he has a "wall of sound effect", it shouldn't be that way. It's prabably because he has the sound levels the as the mains or higher than the main. It should be the opposite, lower the front heights a couple decibals from the mains. I heard the same in the beggining, more of a full and a wall effect but that's because I had the decibals the same as the mains.

Remember to keep your heights sound levels slightly (3-5) decibals LOWER from the mains.

You'll hear a clear difference and will enjoy it!
post #11 of 13 Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Late to the party on this thread but since the OP is running DefTech, I'll chime in.

I've been running Heights for about a year. I do keep my Heights about 3 dB lower than the main speakers, but I'm also running an external amp with the " main five " and the receiver powers the " other four. "

My receiver is a Denon AVR-5308ci w/ upgrade. That is guaranteed for about 140 watts x 7. I'm only running four surround speakers with the Denon, so it is probably putting out more than that in 9.x -- rated at 207 watts x 2. The amp is an Emotiva XPR-5 at 400 watts x 5.

My Height speakers ( powered by the Denon ) are the DefTech SM55. Recommended amp on those is 20-225 watts.