JTR Noesis 228HT - The best speaker you never heard of for ~ $1200 pricepoint. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 551 Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

My 228's are at FedEx. biggrin.gif If I get off work in time I can pick them up tonight and get them setup tomorrow for some brief AB testing before putting the Triple 8's in storage until I can get them installed as surrounds in a couple of weeks.
Don't try to get 3 of these home at once in 1 sedan while still in boxes. I had to throw out 2 of the boxes to get them to fit.

I hope to get some listening time in tomorrow and will post some impressions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

Don't try to get 3 of these home at once in 1 sedan while still in boxes. I had to throw out 2 of the boxes to get them to fit.

I hope to get some listening time in tomorrow and will post some impressions.

Well three of their big brothers fit into my little Chevy Volts cargo area (minus boxes wink.gif) smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #273 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Well three of their big brothers fit into my little Chevy Volts cargo area (minus boxes wink.gif) smile.gif

If my trunk opening was just a little wider, I might have pulled it off.
post #274 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

RMK, I hope you didn't drive like that without strapping them in. Child endangerment!
post #275 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post

RMK, I hope you didn't drive like that without strapping them in. Child endangerment!

Umm, these are JTR's ... they are more solid than the vehicle in the photo. As a reference point think Humvee (the real one) wink.gif

HToM

post #276 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

I did not have time to set up an side by side AB session, so I turned Audyssey off and listened to several songs on my Triple 8's at reference. Then I replaced them with the 228's and listened to the the same songs again after level matching the 228's with the test tones in my pre pro. My S2 was on for both sessions.

Then I listened to several other songs that I was familiar with. There is a definite difference. The main difference is that on a couple of songs with loud female vocals I now realize that there was a slight harshness with the Triple 8's that is no longer present with the 228's. I listened hard and could not hear any harshness with any of the songs I listened to. There were also a couple of details in a couple of songs that I heard for the first time. Even with less than critical listening, there is a subtle improvement in the sound that is hard to describe.

Everyone knows that I am a huge fan of the Triple 8's and JTR's in general so take my preliminary review in that context, but I am very happy with the purchase. I am excited to do some more listening and watch some movies.

Of course, the build quality is pretty amazing and they have the biggest binding posts I have ever seen. To get an idea, think of the binding posts on any commercial speaker and multiply the size by about 5.
post #277 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

I did not have time to set up an side by side AB session, so I turned Audyssey off and listened to several songs on my Triple 8's at reference. Then I replaced them with the 228's and listened to the the same songs again after level matching the 228's with the test tones in my pre pro. My S2 was on for both sessions.

Then I listened to several other songs that I was familiar with. There is a definite difference. The main difference is that on a couple of songs with loud female vocals I now realize that there was a slight harshness with the Triple 8's that is no longer present with the 228's. I listened hard and could not hear any harshness with any of the songs I listened to. There were also a couple of details in a couple of songs that I heard for the first time. Even with less than critical listening, there is a subtle improvement in the sound that is hard to describe.

Everyone knows that I am a huge fan of the Triple 8's and JTR's in general so take my preliminary review in that context, but I am very happy with the purchase. I am excited to do some more listening and watch some movies.

Of course, the build quality is pretty amazing and they have the biggest binding posts I have ever seen. To get an idea, think of the binding posts on any commercial speaker and multiply the size by about 5.

Thanks for the report Jedi and again congrats on the purchase. The binding posts are huge and since I don't move the speakers often (at all), I have been using bare 12ga speaker wire as I think that makes the most positive connection. You?

HToM

post #278 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the report Jedi and again congrats on the purchase. The binding posts are huge and since I don't move the speakers often (at all), I have been using bare 12ga speaker wire as I think that makes the most positive connection. You?
I am doing the same here. I took the speakon connectors off of the cable that I already had going to the T8's and put the bare wire into the binding posts. It is really hard to get to my LCR so they are safe from the kids. The backs of my T8 surrounds will be accessible inside closets, so the speakons will be ideal for keeping the kids from messing with them.

I am interested in seeing what they will sound like after running Audyssey. I am so happy with the sound right now, that I almost feel that I don't need it. It may be that between the controlled directivity of the 228's and my room treatments, I am getting a pretty flat response already.
post #279 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 857
I ran Audyssey again tonight and with the speakers tucked up a bit closer to the wall - Audyssey determined them to be 60hz. I'm going to watch my first movie on the full front soundstage in a few minutes - Prometheus.

Sadly because I have a couple young kiddos I can't crank it to reference - but I'm going to enjoy it anyway. Life has been in the fast lane lately --- so it'll be nice to slow down and enjoy a movie!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #280 of 551 Old 03-22-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jedirun - I usually end up turning off Audyssey as well. I toy back and forth - but typically find I like it better off and just use it to set levels, distances, etc.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #281 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Going to bed - not gonna be able to finish it tonight - but impressions are EXCELLENT on this setup. The center dialogue is crystal clear, I had no problem understanding anything, even with the lower volumes. Sound was excellent!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #282 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Jedirun - I usually end up turning off Audyssey as well. I toy back and forth - but typically find I like it better off and just use it to set levels, distances, etc.
Sometimes I wish there was an option to have Audyssey on, just for the sub. I have not yet heard how the 228's sounded with Audyssey, so I should not judge yet. I ended up liking Audyssey on with my Triple 8's.
post #283 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Well I have decided. I am going to place my order for the 212's and I am going to pair with a 228 for center dialogue. I am going to pair this all to a new Denon 4520. Just have to decide if I am going to upgrade the cabinets to rosewood.
post #284 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Sometimes I wish there was an option to have Audyssey on, just for the sub. I have not yet heard how the 228's sounded with Audyssey, so I should not judge yet. I ended up liking Audyssey on with my Triple 8's.

I've been trying to find out how to run Audyssey only below 200hz as well. Does anyone know if this is possible?
post #285 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 AM

Archaea, Jedirun, or anyone with the Noesis speakers, would you describe the 228HT or the 212HT as forward at all?
post #286 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

I added some room treatments and re-ran a full Audyssey for the umpteenth time this week. I also removed the attenuators from the 212's and sure enough Audyssey set them to -12db. I ended up leaving them off and bumped my ref level to -5db. Listened to some MC music and preferred Audyssey off. Then watched Zero Dark Thirty last night (Audyssey off) and the sound was stellar. Looks like Audyssey will be off for the time being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Well I have decided. I am going to place my order for the 212's and I am going to pair with a 228 for center dialogue. I am going to pair this all to a new Denon 4520. Just have to decide if I am going to upgrade the cabinets to rosewood.

Not to push you but it would be great to see the 212's and 228 done in the rosewood finish ... cool.gif

HToM

post #287 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:

Archaea, Jedirun, or anyone with the Noesis speakers, would you describe the 228HT or the 212HT as forward at all?

Hmm not sure how to describe it. If you mean bright or harsh absolutely not. The 212's sound crystal clear with no listener fatigue whatsoever - I should know, I waste far too much time with my butt on the couch listening to music. During any given "listening session" I get more drawn in over time, not less making it hard to stop listening. Ha, sometimes I wish I did get some listener fatigue so I'd get more sleep. biggrin.gif
post #288 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:

What about using an Anti-mode 8033 to just EQ your sub?

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml
post #289 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Hmm not sure how to describe it. If you mean bright or harsh absolutely not. The 212's sound crystal clear with no listener fatigue whatsoever - I should know, I waste far too much time with my butt on the couch listening to music. During any given "listening session" I get more drawn in over time, not less making it hard to stop listening. Ha, sometimes I wish I did get some listener fatigue so I'd get more sleep. biggrin.gif

Forward is one of those audiophile terms that leaves me scratching my head. Like Carp I would interpret that as meaning bright or harsh. The 212 does have a significantly upgraded CD and so should be a bit smoother on the top end than the 228. My 212's have excellent midrange/high frequency and I think everyone who has heard them would describe them similarly.

It seems a lot of people stay on the fence for these purchases and based upon the dollar amount I understand their trepidation. Hearing them is the only way to know if they are for you and anything else is a leap of faith.

HToM

post #290 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I'm waiting for a pair of the 228's, and thats my plan to use the DSPeaker AntiMode 8033S-II.
The only problem i see at this point is, that i don't know how to cut the frequency for the 228's at 60-80, because i only use a 2-channel pre amp
and a power amp.

What happens if i drive the 228's in full range?
post #291 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I added some room treatments and re-ran a full Audyssey for the umpteenth time this week. I also removed the attenuators from the 212's and sure enough Audyssey set them to -12db. I ended up leaving them off and bumped my ref level to -5db. Listened to some MC music and preferred Audyssey off. Then watched Zero Dark Thirty last night (Audyssey off) and the sound was stellar. Looks like Audyssey will be off for the time being.
Not to push you but it would be great to see the 212's and 228 done in the rosewood finish ... cool.gif
I just got off the phone with Jeff a little bit ago and I ordered them in black. As much as I wanted to get the rosewood finish, the black were kinda growing on me and I was also trying to stay under 6K. Now the dreaded wait!!
post #292 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I just got off the phone with Jeff a little bit ago and I ordered them in black. As much as I wanted to get the rosewood finish, the black were kinda growing on me and I was also trying to stay under 6K. Now the dreaded wait!!

cool.gif
The standard finish is fine and tough as nails. No worries about bumping or scratching them and I think they use the baltic birch 13ply that is much more durable than the pretty MDF with wood veneer.

HToM

post #293 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cool.gif
The standard finish is fine and tough as nails. No worries about bumping or scratching them and I think they use the baltic birch 13ply that is much more durable than the pretty MDF with wood veneer.
A similar finish on my PSA XV-30s. Be nice to keep it all uniform.
post #294 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Forward is one of those audiophile terms that leaves me scratching my head. Like Carp I would interpret that as meaning bright or harsh. The 212 does have a significantly upgraded CD and so should be a bit smoother on the top end than the 228. My 212's have excellent midrange/high frequency and I think everyone who has heard them would describe them similarly.

It seems a lot of people stay on the fence for these purchases and based upon the dollar amount I understand their trepidation. Hearing them is the only way to know if they are for you and anything else is a leap of faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

What I meant by forward was do they have a deep soundstage? I know the JTR's are probably much different than the Tektons, but when A/B-ing the M-Lores to the Phil 2s (even though level matched), the Phil's soundstage was much deeper (and wider as well). It felt like with the Tektons the voices and instruments were closer even though at the same volume level. I know the Phils have an open baffle design so that could be the main contributor. I'm not a huge fan of audiophile language, but it can be difficult to describe sound.

I'm thinking of moving my Phils to a two channel room and getting the 228HT LCR for my HT.
post #295 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

What I meant by forward was do they have a deep soundstage? I know the JTR's are probably much different than the Tektons, but when A/B-ing the M-Lores to the Phil 2s (even though level matched), the Phil's soundstage was much deeper (and wider as well). It felt like with the Tektons the voices and instruments were closer even though at the same volume level. I know the Phils have an open baffle design so that could be the main contributor. I'm not a huge fan of audiophile language, but it can be difficult to describe sound.

I'm thinking of moving my Phils to a two channel room and getting the 228HT LCR for my HT.

I think the depth thing is one of those three dimensional descriptors that I never really understood about audio. Jim Salk credits a speakers dispersion characteristics and off axis performance as main factors in creating a wider and deeper soundstage. The Noesis 60/40 horn actually produce a narrower dispersion pattern than the coaxial based Triple 8's and 12's yet, they have better off axis performance within that pattern and to me have a wider sound presentation.

In any case, LCR's playing MC audio will have a much different sound presentation than a 2 channel stereo system and so many of the traditional stereo terms are not really interchangeable IMHO.

HToM

post #296 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 PM

I don't do a lot of MC audio listening. I'd use the JTRs for the theater room, but we do a decent amount of two channel listening there as well.
post #297 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

I don't do a lot of MC audio listening. I'd use the JTRs for the theater room, but we do a decent amount of two channel listening there as well.
Quote:

Then I'd say that your idea of using the Philharmonic's for 2 channel is a good one. I did not enjoy multichannel music until I had well matched MC speakers and then found some well recorded MC music (Steve Stevens - Flamenco. A Go Go DVD-A comes to mind). Now 90% of my music listening is to live Bluray recordings with good Dolby or DTS MC audio.

HToM

post #298 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

[quote name="VicTorious1" url="/t/1458711/jtr-noesis-228ht-the-best-speaker-you-never-heard-of-for-1100-pricepoint/270#post_23116253"
I'm thinking of moving my Phils to a two channel room and getting the 228HT LCR for my HT.[/quote]

I think that is the way to go. You will not be dissapointed by the 228's and you already stated in another post, how much you like the Phil2's. You will have the best of both worlds.
post #299 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

228HT are EXCELLENT for home theater!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #300 of 551 Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

That is a pretty good idea,and one I might toy with if I don't like what Audyssey does to the 228's. For now, I hope I like it. I don't want to buy anything else. I still have to pay the contractor to hide my Triple 8 surrounds.

I have not run Audyssey yet, so I do not want to speak poorly of it without hearing the result. I am just saying that the system, including the sub, sounds great, even without it.
Quote:

RMK, I seem to remember you running a sub eq in addition to Audyssey for your Orbit Shifters in the past. Are you still using it?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 212ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page