JTR Noesis 228HT - The best speaker you never heard of for ~ $1200 pricepoint. - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So these 228HT's are pretty fantastic. Could we go back to talking about them?

I have started to focus my attention back on finishing my theater just so I can buy these. After hearing these I feel like Carp did after hearing the 212's, I just have to have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
WARNING

Quit the jabs back and forth or you will be removed from the thread.

K

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #63 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

So these 228HT's are pretty fantastic. Could we go back to talking about them?

I have started to focus my attention back on finishing my theater just so I can buy these. After hearing these I feel like Carp did after hearing the 212's, I just have to have them.

What is stronger, the allure of the Cap 2 or the 228? smile.gif
post #64 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Technically this thread expires March 15 2013 when the price goes to $1199. Till then those who are interestered in this product should be thankful for the Very useful info.
Being a hater is not useful to anyone.
Chris
post #65 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Personal attacks deleted and infractions issued.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #66 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Well that went sideways fast! Hopefully this thread can get back on track.
post #67 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Haha the force is very strong with JTR. I'm actually debating the Orbit Shifter. I was measuring last night to see what my placement options would be.
post #68 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Even if the Cap S2 allure is stronger, I would get the 228's now while they are $600 cheaper, especially since you have experienced them in person.
post #69 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Haha the force is very strong with JTR. I'm actually debating the Orbit Shifter. I was measuring last night to see what my placement options would be.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Orbit shifter or the S2. I personally chose the S2 after talking it over with Jeff but I heard the Orbit Shifter also kicks some serious #$@@# smile.gif
post #70 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yeah, I forgot that you said you were thinking about the OS. Man, that's a tough choice.... I think that's part of why I went with this crazy DIY project. I want OS output and S2 extension. I may not quite get to OS output, I think I'd have to co locate all the subs and I'm not going to do that.
post #71 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

That should be a one and done ... wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Even if the Cap S2 allure is stronger, I would get the 228's now while they are $600 cheaper, especially since you have experienced them in person.

Yeah, that intro price is crazy good. Has me wondering and wanting with absolutely no good reason to even consider them. eek.gifwink.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #72 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Next week we find out what our bonus for the year is going to be. That will be the deciding factor on when and what I am ordering. The 228's are at the top of the list right now due to the fantastic price.
post #73 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

In regards to the OS vs the S2, I am having a really hard time deciding. The S2 allows for more placement options. But the punch in the gut feeling you get from the OS is just awesome. I keep going back to the blind test where I heard the Cap Pro, S1, and OS for the first time and reading my own comments as well as others. Because I focus more on movies and games over music I'm really thinking the OS is the way to go. But at the same time I do listen to music and really want a well rounded system. I really don't think I can make a bad choice.
post #74 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In regards to the OS vs the S2, I am having a really hard time deciding. The S2 allows for more placement options. But the punch in the gut feeling you get from the OS is just awesome. I keep going back to the blind test where I heard the Cap Pro, S1, and OS for the first time and reading my own comments as well as others. Because I focus more on movies and games over music I'm really thinking the OS is the way to go. But at the same time I do listen to music and really want a well rounded system. I really don't think I can make a bad choice.

With my T12s I wonder what the Noesis would sound like in my room. With my HW50 Sony Projector I wonder what Sony’s uber expensive 4K projector would look like on my screen. With the S2 I have never even had thoughts about an upgrade to anything else…feel like I have exactly what I need. I am sure with the Orbit shift it would be the same way. Which ever you choose, you would have an absolute top shelf performer…a win/win smile.gif
post #75 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

I was just looking at your room Frohlich, What made you decide on triple 8's over single 8"s for surrounds?
post #76 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

With my T12s I wonder what the Noesis would sound like in my room. With my HW50 Sony Projector I wonder what Sony’s uber expensive 4K projector would look like on my screen. With the S2 I have never even had thoughts about an upgrade to anything else…feel like I have exactly what I need. I am sure with the Orbit shift it would be the same way. Which ever you choose, you would have an absolute top shelf performer…a win/win smile.gif

Don't go dissing my new yet to be installed projector ... tongue.gifwink.gif

I actually saw the 1000 on a huge (160") Enlightor 4K screen and although impressive, the buy in was just a crazy number. I'm way more into the audio anyway and the excellent color, clarity and contrast of my JVC RS35 was lost on me hence the move to this mid level 3D PJ. How are you liking the 3D?

Sorry to the rest of you for the OT discussion redface.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #77 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Archaea,

Have you received your center channel yet? I'm interested in how movies sound with a matching center with a pair of Caps.
post #78 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just looking at your room Frohlich, What made you decide on triple 8's over single 8"s for surrounds?

Just didn't want to "settle"...and I don't mean that in a negative fashion as the single 8 is an outstanding speaker. I always try to get the most that will fit my budget and if I went with the single 8, I would always question what it would sound like if I went with the Triple 8. I am goofy...just the way my mind works biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Don't go dissing my new yet to be installed projector ... tongue.gifwink.gif
I actually saw the 1000 on a huge (160") Enlightor 4K screen and although impressive, the buy in was just a crazy number. I'm way more into the audio anyway and the excellent color, clarity and contrast of my JVC RS35 was lost on me hence the move to this mid level 3D PJ. How are you liking the 3D?

Sorry to the rest of you for the OT discussion redface.gif

I know..and I love the projector...i really do. I throws a fantastic picture. My mind just likes to play the "what if" scenario. Like I said to Stitch1 above, just the way my goofy mind works. I have a problem, and the first step is admitting it eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #79 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Just didn't want to "settle"...and I don't mean that in a negative fashion as the single 8 is an outstanding speaker. I always try to get the most that will fit my budget and if I went with the single 8, I would always question what it would sound like if I went with the Triple 8. I am goofy...just the way my mind works biggrin.gif

I will be moving my T8's to surround duty soon and your in wall solution, may be just the thing to allow me to save my marriage. wink.gif I think that I will copy you for at least the side surrounds. The rears pose more of a problem since the rear of my theater is an external wall, so I have fewer options. I may have to build something around them.
post #80 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will be moving my T8's to surround duty soon and your in wall solution, may be just the thing to allow me to save my marriage. wink.gif I think that I will copy you for at least the side surrounds. The rears pose more of a problem since the rear of my theater is an external wall, so I have fewer options. I may have to build something around them.

Hey, I can actually take credit for that idea. One of my first posts on the JTR forum was how other owners were mounting their Triple 8 surrounds. Then it dawned on me one day while the contractor was over remodeling the basement, that I could just build them into the wall and have them be flush with the wall. I am anal about symmetry and clean/uncluttered look and that was a solution that would work for my tastes. Glad you like it smile.gif
post #81 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hey Carp, thanks for all of your help. I was happy to see a more specific thread in reference to a specific speaker. It took hours for me to read through the numerous other JTR threads just to get a specific answer to a couple of questions. Being a newbie, I get frustrated at times with trying to locate answers to certain questions which is a fault of my own for having limited patience.. I have asked Carp questions by PM out of fear of embarrassing my self on an open thread and he has been beyond helpful.. So, Biggups to you Carp.. Keep on posting and start as many threads as you like..biggrin.gif
post #82 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

Hey Carp, thanks for all of your help. I was happy to see a more specific thread in reference to a specific speaker. It took hours for me to read through the numerous other JTR threads just to get a specific answer to a couple of questions. Being a newbie, I get frustrated at times with trying to locate answers to certain questions which is a fault of my own for having limited patience.. I have asked Carp questions by PM out of fear of embarrassing my self on an open thread and he has been beyond helpful.. So, Biggups to you Carp.. Keep on posting and start as many threads as you like..biggrin.gif

Cool, good to see you posting here. smile.gif What do you think you're going to go with? Triple 8's, 12's, or the new Noesis 228's? If you have patience I would definitely go with the 228's since you probably won't get them for awhile. Didn't you say your room won't be done for a month or so anyway? My vote is for 228's because a) they sound better IMO b) they are currently cheaper!!!

BTW, those of you that have pre ordered the 228's what is Jeff saying on the time line? I'm guessing it will be quite awhile since the pre-order runs to March 15th. I'm guessing early to mid April?
post #83 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

I just heard that the first batch, of which their are only 9 speakers left, is slated to start shipping on March 15th, the second batch will be a month behind the first.
post #84 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Stitch,

Interesting comment. If you were 75/25 music to HT, and you had the choice of 2 Cap 2400s or 1 OS....which would you choose? I only ask since you've heard them both. Sealed probably not an option for me as my HT will be open to very large area.

Thanks,
Chad
post #85 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Definitely two Cap 2400's. You'll have the same overall headroom, and the benefit of dual subs frequency response smoothing.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #86 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I just heard that the first batch, of which their are only 9 speakers left, is slated to start shipping on March 15th, the second batch will be a month behind the first.

Now he is down to six (or less) as I picked up three 228s after listening to your system.
post #87 of 551 Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

I personally like having a single thread, like the JTR Speaker thread, for all of the discussion about a certain company's products. It has been very easy to keep up with all the JTR Speakers by following the single thread. There is also a lot of discussion common to all speakers that owner's like to participate in such as placement, toe-in, surrounds, equipment, and who is having kids. I don't even own JTR products, but enjoy the daily updates/discussion in the thread.

Agreed. I think someone was a little excited when he decided to make this thread. smile.gif Can you imagine if someone made a thread for every time a manufacturer released a new speaker? Things would just be chaotic and a real mess. This thread should be merged with the main JTR one, especially with a ridiculous title touting a speaker to be "the best" even though this hobby is highly subjective. Not only that, but he finds it necessary to compare two completely different speakers than what this thread is about in the original post; two manufacturers that don't even compete with each other due to different design trade-offs. It gives the impression that someone has an agenda... Is Archaea now working for JTR? If so congrats, but you should put something in your signature. And you probably shouldn't be starting threads and advertising prices. I'm a Salk and Revel fanboy, but I don't start threads every time they release a new product giving price info and claiming they are the best speakers you haven't yet heard. rolleyes.gif The main JTR thread has over 7000 posts and 450,000 views. It's not like no one sees it or it's dying. Just sayin'. wink.gif

-=Flame suit engaged=- (I know RMK won't be able to resist smile.gif) I mean no disrespect, by the way. Jeff is a great designer.

Apparently I missed all the action today, I'm glad I did, but I think I should be able to answer a couple of these questions more clearly publically.

My point in mentioning the Salk vs. JTR 212HT wasn't to cause a fight - not at all. My point was that everyone around here recognizes the Salk as an excellent speaker. I think it is an excellent speaker too (I rated it third in Wisconsin, and my favorite among the audiophile speakers) -- (though I'm not a huge fan of the center channel as it seems to be voiced differently than the towers) Anyway at the Des Moines blind meet the Noesis 212HT statistically tied the accoladed Salk for music and easily bested them for movies in unbiased blind voting of about 10 avsforum enthusiasts at a meet in DesMoines that dlbeck put on. We had a little mini-meet at carps house comparing the 212HT and the 228HT and three of the four people attending felt the 228HT was nearly if not exactly identical to the 212HT for movie performance towards reference volumes, though all four agreed the Noesis 212HT had some level of edge for music performance. Still at half the price -- and offering similar 'top choice" movie performance - the Noesis 228HT are an amazing value! I'm sorry I didn't communicate that more clearly - I will edit the first post to reflect such. My attempt at that comparison was nothing more than to validate value of the 228HT.

Agenda? Yes - to promote a great speaker at a intro (limited time) price, so that fellow enthusiasts can learn more about the product.

Am I working for JTR? - No - just a enthused owner! I get no kickback from JTR.

Where is it noted that you can't start a thread with a intro price in the title?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #88 of 551 Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Cool, good to see you posting here. smile.gif What do you think you're going to go with? Triple 8's, 12's, or the new Noesis 228's? If you have patience I would definitely go with the 228's since you probably won't get them for awhile. Didn't you say your room won't be done for a month or so anyway? My vote is for 228's because a) they sound better IMO b) they are currently cheaper!!!

BTW, those of you that have pre ordered the 228's what is Jeff saying on the time line? I'm guessing it will be quite awhile since the pre-order runs to March 15th. I'm guessing early to mid April?

This is clearly not an easy decision, my heart says Trip 12's because i currently can afford them, but after reading up on the new Noesis 228's my brain and pockets are pushing me in that direction. I guess my mind has been trained that bigger is better, but in this case I'm not so sure.
post #89 of 551 Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is clearly not an easy decision, my heart says Trip 12's because i currently can afford them, but after reading up on the new Noesis 228's my brain and pockets are pushing me in that direction. I guess my mind has been trained that bigger is better, but in this case I'm not so sure.
Your decision is made even harder by the fact that no one, other than Jeff, could even comment on a comparison between the 228 and T12, because I don't think anyone else has heard both speakers.
post #90 of 551 Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha, the perfect solution is to get what I have, the 212's. You get all the crazy headroom and output (most of which you will never use but it's so cool to know it's there!!) from the triple 12 size (and a cooler looking speaker, I love the big speakers) but you also get a speaker that sounds unreal for music. Are you a music guy at all? If so the 212's will put pounds on you as you waste away on the couch listening to them. Oh wait... that's me.

We saw the drivers moving on the 228's, that's just unacceptable. Not enough headroom. tongue.gif

I'm kidding of course, the 228's are awesome and have tons of output. However, if you get the 212's you won't have to wonder what if... there I go again. smile.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 212ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page