Bose CineMate VS Acoustimass 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jakrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully my title warded off any Bose bashing types (most members on this forum) but I doubt it did. I have a question. One that I'm only directing to all ten people on here that don't mind Bose, and have direct experience with it.

BUT, if you're still reading this and are still itching to blast me with all the reasons I shouldn't buy Bose, be polite and consider this first please:

I am buying used.

Okay? Like, at least half off. Probably more. Like $500. And I'm selling some other stuff I don't use anymore. I'm not going to spend over $200 when its all said and done. So the overpriced thing is likely a bit more fair now. With the math out of the way, its all about personal preferences, and Bose is mine. Still need to explode with bashes and alternatives and specs? There's SO MANY other places to post. So....please. And thank you.

Anyway....DEEP BREATH

Hi. First time poster. Tried to find the answer elsewhere in the forum but every time someone asked a Bose question there's only 2 or 3 posts of relevant feedback. It's hard to sift through all the *BOSE SUUUUUUUUCKS*

My question is this:

If you had a choice between Bose CineMate GS series II and the Bose Acoustimass 6 series III, which would you buy? I've heard the Cinemate at Best Buy and really like its sound and its simplicity. But Lately I've been checking out the Acoustimass 6 without the benefit of having personally listened to it. So anyone here heard both?
jakrowe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I would think the larger speakers of the cinemate would sound better. Those tiny 2.5 inch drivers in the acoustimass system are just flat out bad.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
flyng_fool is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
if those are your only two choices get the AM6. You're comparing a 5.1 system vs a 2.1 system. Get the 5.1 setup.

The AM6 has a single 2.5" driver, the Cinemate has two 2" drivers.

So is your out of pocket cost $200 after you sell other stuff? And is your price for the Bose before selling the other stuff $500?

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrowe View Post

If you had a choice between Bose CineMate GS series II and the Bose Acoustimass 6 series III, which would you buy?
The CineMate doesn't have a centre speaker, so dialogue will collapse to the speaker closest to the listener. It also doesn't have surround speakers, so it tries to create the surround effect via processing and bouncing sounds off the side walls. Those are two areas where the Acoustimass 6 has an advantage: dialogue will stay locked to where the actors are on-screen and surround information will come from around you (rather than up front). However, since lots of sounds (including dialogue) leak into the Acoustimass module, try to keep it as close as possible to the centre speaker (directly below if possible).

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Just run it in phantom center mode. It'll be fine.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
flyng_fool is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Member
 
psycholis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did you also read on any of those threads about why this forum hates those speakers? I would say that even at that discount price you're paying too much but I'm probably not adding to this thread. I've heard the acoustimass system because my uncle has them and everything in the sound is congested. Even when it's turned up there's so much stuff missing from the actual movie, you might as well just leave it on the TV speakers. I've never heard the Cinemates so I can't help you on that.
psycholis is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Kind of like going to a fine wine forum and asking which is better, Gallo or Boone's Farm. biggrin.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #8 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Kind of like going to a fine wine forum and asking which is better, Gallo or Boone's Farm. biggrin.gif
I prefer Mad Dog 20/20 myself.......

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
flyng_fool is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrowe View Post

I am buying used.

Okay? Like, at least half off. Probably more. Like $500. And I'm selling some other stuff I don't use anymore. I'm not going to spend over $200 when its all said and done. So the overpriced thing is likely a bit more fair now.


It doesn't remove over-priced when you compare it to what else you could get for $500 used...
Quote:
With the math out of the way,

Not exactly...

Quote:
its all about personal preferences, and Bose is mine.

Why is Bose your preference? It isn't for superior sound and it isn't for superior value, so what is it?

Quote:
but every time someone asked a Bose question there's only 2 or 3 posts of relevant feedback. It's hard to sift through all the *BOSE SUUUUUUUUCKS*

These comments are definitely rude, but not necessarily less relevant in the scheme of providing advice to someone seeking best value for their dollar.

Quote:
My question is this:

If you had a choice between Bose CineMate GS series II and the Bose Acoustimass 6 series III, which would you buy? I've heard the Cinemate at Best Buy and really like its sound and its simplicity. But Lately I've been checking out the Acoustimass 6 without the benefit of having personally listened to it. So anyone here heard both?

If you are set on the path, I would agree with the larger drivers and 5.1 discussion...

...I would still suggest considering other used options in your price range as well, as part of your decision process.

rick240 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrowe View Post

Hopefully my title warded off any Bose bashing types (most members on this forum) but I doubt it did. I have a question. One that I'm only directing to all ten people on here that don't mind Bose, and have direct experience with it.

BUT, if you're still reading this and are still itching to blast me with all the reasons I shouldn't buy Bose, be polite and consider this first please:

I am buying used.

Okay? Like, at least half off. Probably more. Like $500. And I'm selling some other stuff I don't use anymore. I'm not going to spend over $200 when its all said and done. So the overpriced thing is likely a bit more fair now. With the math out of the way, its all about personal preferences, and Bose is mine. Still need to explode with bashes and alternatives and specs? There's SO MANY other places to post. So....please. And thank you.

Anyway....DEEP BREATH

Hi. First time poster. Tried to find the answer elsewhere in the forum but every time someone asked a Bose question there's only 2 or 3 posts of relevant feedback. It's hard to sift through all the *BOSE SUUUUUUUUCKS*

My question is this:

If you had a choice between Bose CineMate GS series II and the Bose Acoustimass 6 series III, which would you buy? I've heard the Cinemate at Best Buy and really like its sound and its simplicity. But Lately I've been checking out the Acoustimass 6 without the benefit of having personally listened to it. So anyone here heard both?
actually i just heard both of them at my local sams clubnot to long ago, but i don't think you'll like what i have to say about them. good luck


p.s by the way just curious why is bose your personal preference

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I have tried the cinemate system and it was just awful. While I have heard the Acoustimas system, it wasn't in an ideal setting or for very long, but it didn't make my ears bleed like the cinemate system did. However and maybe irrelvenat, I have heard several people say the cinemate soundbar is pretty good, as soundbars go. As people often point out in thread involving Bose...it isn't that the Bose stuff is terrible, it is overpriced and Bose makes some riduculous claims in their advertisements (Tweedler technology, so speakers don't need tweeters and "bose technology makes small speakers sound full range")

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jakrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the opinions and facts. I've gotten some surprisingly well rounded feedback here. From some more than others. I might not even need to check out this thread again.

Don't think I don't know how you feel. I get a similar (why would you spend money on that) feeling when someone starts calling a Michael Bay movie art, or when someone asks me why I'd spend more than $10 on a pair of earbuds. I get it, really. It can be frustrating when someone doesn't know how trashy or uninformed their taste is.

All that said, here's my two cents on the Bose thing, to those of you who have offered me your two cents...

Bose is my personal preference for the same reason I like red. I don't start citing the electromagnetic properties or frequencies or wavelengths of that color just so I can support the fact that I like the way it looks. I like the way some of Bose's systems sound. (not the Wave or that TV of theirs. *shivers*) Remember, no matter how quantifiable and measurable something's specifications are, those things offer no guarantees that everyone will hear or see the same thing. There is always another side to whatever your argument is. Even this little war on Bose.

And hey, don't read this article if you don't want to get angry, but it does give out some actual facts that totally disagree with a lot of your guys's facts. Not that it made me love Bose or anything. Still thought I'd pass it along. Two cents.
jakrowe is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jakrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well thanks everyone. I've gotten a surprising amount of well rounded feedback here. To those who gave me their two-cents on Bose in general, here's mine:

Hey, I like red. But I don't start listing the wavelengths and electromagnetic frequencies of the color when I want to justify why I like the way it looks. Hey, I like Bose. Same principle. Preferences. No matter how quantifiable and measurable something is, you can't necessarily add those stats into something that explains why someone likes something.

Addressing the Bose argument more directly for a second... don't read this article if you don't want to get angry. It is an intelligent representation of the other side of this little war on Bose. I found it a while ago and although it didn't totally just make me love Bose forever, it does give out actual facts that disagree with your guys' facts. My two-cents, as promised.

Thanks for the advice and the luck.
--Jak
jakrowe is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrowe View Post

it does give out actual facts that disagree with your guys' facts. My
These are facts:
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #15 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrowe View Post

Hey, I like red. But I don't start listing the wavelengths and electromagnetic frequencies of the color when I want to justify why I like the way it looks. Hey, I like Bose. Same principle. Preferences. No matter how quantifiable and measurable something is, you can't necessarily add those stats into something that explains why someone likes something.

Yes, and no...

If in a discussion of merits of various types of equipment, one states a preference for a certain type but is then either unwilling or unable to state why...

...that is OK so long as said individual is willing to accept that all others involved in the conversation will determine that said preference is based on emotion and belief and no subjectively quantifiable or discussable characteristics...

...but it really is an embodiment of the quote "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts".

Quote:
Addressing the Bose argument more directly for a second... don't read this article if you don't want to get angry. It is an intelligent representation of the other side of this little war on Bose. I found it a while ago and although it didn't totally just make me love Bose forever, it does give out actual facts that disagree with your guys' facts. My two-cents, as promised.

Thanks for the advice and the luck.
--Jak

No reason for one to get angry by reading this article...

...it does paint a very good picture of Dr. Amar Bose as a well intentioned person and researcher...

...but it in no way attempts to debunk the facts that Bose speakers are generally designed to appeal to an emotional reaction in a sufficiently large quantity of people, and that their goal is not accurate audio reproduction, but the effective appealing to the part of the brain to cause this emotional reaction...

..and that accurate reproduction is so far from their goals that they do not provide specs that would indicate how accurately they do reproduce sound.


Guess I'm up to $0.04 now biggrin.gif

rick240 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

...but it in no way attempts to debunk the facts that Bose speakers are generally designed to appeal to an emotional reaction in a sufficiently large quantity of people
You could say that Bose would be to speakers as McDonalds is to food...if a Big Mac went for $19.95, that is. biggrin.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #17 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 947
[quote name="jakrowe" url="/t/1458721/bose-cinemate-vs-acoustimass-6#post_22976988

And hey, don't read this article if you don't want to get angry, but it does give out some actual facts that totally disagree with a lot of your guys's facts. Not that it made me love Bose or anything. Still thought I'd pass it along. Two cents.[/quote]


fwiw,wow, looks like amar is giving some of his stolen money back he amassed from his bose cult following over the years. wow he does have a conscience after all. i always thought he was a criminal but that story proves hes todays version of robin hood( take from the stupid and give to the smart)

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Didn't all those headsets produced for the pilots get sent back to Bose because they were total junk?

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
post #19 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Member
 
rics17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Bose 321 and ACM 10 and at first I liked them both since I never really listened to any other brands. Once I did the difference was night and day. IMO, the modules just make noise since they are not true subs so do not expect to hear good bass. I gave them both a fair shot so I cannot recommend ACM 6 since if 10 is supposed to be an upgrade the 6 shouldn't be better. If it is then okay I am wrong but I doubt it in this case. A year later they are both in their boxes waiting to be sold on Ebay. Thank goodness they have some resale value.
rics17 is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
wlhungdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Kind of like going to a fine wine forum and asking which is better, Gallo or Boone's Farm. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

I prefer Mad Dog 20/20 myself.......

at Bill's post, I thought I'd seen the best one today... then I almost sprayed my keyboard. smile.gif

I thought Bose sounded good once , as well. I had a pair of ... small floorstanders... 301's, I think... but they were stolen in a home robbery some 15 years ago. It took me another 7 or so to even get back into home audio... and I wouldn't even consider their products today.

from my perspective, YMMV
Joseph

...what a long, strange trip its been.
wlhungdude is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Member
 
dat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As to the OP's question, if you're still interested, you just need to decide if you want a 2.1 or a 5.1 layout. The relative pros and cons are obvious. I've not heard either system enough to have preference other than to say if the space they will be used is multi-purpose or formal at all, I'd opt forthe 2.1. In a dedicated home theater room, I would probably try to make the 5.1 work.
dat56 is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Member
 
psycholis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
These threads always blow up but I guess for good reason.. If OP gets nothing from this other than discrete 5.1 is better than phantom 2.1, maybe it's a success? I know my biggest step was going from a stereo system to a true dolby digital receiver and having 'surround sound'.
psycholis is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Newbie
 
chrisfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are sure a lot of Bose threads today. Oh well, I was a sucker for the old AM-5 (the one with two ports) back in the 1980's.
chrisfam is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,258
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrowe View Post

Bose is my personal preference for the same reason I like red.

There's nothing wrong with that if you've tried other speakers and that's what you like. We each have our own peculiar tastes in some things smile.gif

But you are in the wrong place to seek advice about Bose since the answer to your main question above from the very large majority of this community is don't buy either. Save your money for something else. In fact, BIll's statement about McDonald's is tangentially related. If you go to a healthy eating online community that abhors fast food, and then ask them which they like better, the quarter pounder with cheese or the big mac, they'll say neither, too. (I like the big mac, btw). And then they'll explain why you shouldn't eat McDs. And probably quite vehemently smile.gif

So the best place to seek your answer is probably a Bose community forum where people share the same tastes as you in speakers. Asking for advice about Bose on AVS is about as bad as asking which scotch to buy at a MADD meeting (lol).
Canuck31 likes this.

cel4145 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off