Mirage Nanosat from Bose Acoustimass IV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello,

This weekend I purchased the Bose Acoustimass 4 due to the wife's requirements of the rear speakers having a small presence.

I have been playing with the set all weekend and have come to the conclusion that for my setup (small/mid size living room) the accoustimass/bass module isnt powerful enough. While I do like the look (and even sound) of the 5 other speakers, I dont think I can live with the weak bass perfomance in movies and music.

I did some research and it looks like the Mirage Nanoset would be a comparable substitute in terms of speaker size my wife would be OK with. A few questions about the set:

- Will this perform as well as the bose set which is about three times more exp. (mainly need at least comparable satelites and much better sub)
- I see I am supposed to put the rear channels upside down to direct the sound to the listening area - is the logo on the speakers able to be turned as well?
- would you all recommend upgrading the stock speakers to the Nano CC (Center) or OmD-5 (front L / R)?

Thanks in advance to anyone able to help.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 View Post

I did some research and it looks like the Mirage Nanoset would be a comparable substitute in terms of speaker size my wife would be OK with.
The Mirage may be of higher quality, but there remains a basic law of physics that says you can only get so much out of small speakers. Most women tend to approach speakers much like they do shoes, they don't care if they sound/feel good, just as long as they look good. So long as the feet they're hurting are their own they can wear what they want, but when the ears that they're hurting are mine that's where I draw the line.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

The Mirage may be of higher quality, but there remains a basic law of physics that says you can only get so much out of small speakers. Most women tend to approach speakers much like they do shoes, they don't care if they sound/feel good, just as long as they look good. So long as the feet they're hurting are their own they can wear what they want, but when the ears that they're hurting are mine that's where I draw the line.

Thanks for the reply. As mentioned - I was happy with the Bose 5.0 speaker performance, just not the sub. I was just hoping to make sure that by switching to the nanosats that I won't lose speaker performance and will hopefully gain sub performance with the sub that comes with the Nano.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
post #4 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1173
I wouldn't be surprised if the Mirage satellites are better than the Bose, since they have tweeters. But as for the sub, you're not going to rattle any teeth with an 8 inch driver in a box that size.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have experience with the nanosats??

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
post #6 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
There are all sorts of problems with the Bose speakers; more than I can go into easily. The Mirage Speakers are also not good-sounding speakers IMO.

I recommend that you sell them and get the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system. It is very attractively priced right now, and performs well.

It has a MUCH more capable subwoofer, and speakers that are large enough (though still fairly small) to provide much better overall sound.

I think it would meet your needs and sound much better than what you have
post #7 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I recently replaced some Nanosats in my secondary HT setup (replaced by Mirage OMD that used to be in my primary setup). My living room is average size (19 x 17 maybe?), and the nanosats just didn't cut it. They will sound better than the Bose, but you really need something bigger than microsatellites if your room is any bigger than a shoebox. I kept the 8" Nanosat sub around for awhile, but eventually decided to replace it with an inexpensive 12" sub. Since I use both of my HT setups a fair amount, I'm much happier with this arrangement.

I would try to bargain with your wife to see if you can least move up to mid-sized bookshelf speakers. You will be much happier in the long run.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 13
I just purchased the nanosats and I'm in Luv with these little gems. I'm pairing them with 12 velodyne sub and crossing them over at 100hz. I have a large open space living room and the omni directional tweeters fill my listening area with no issues. It's replacing some Athena bookshelfs.

Think before you speak....
post #9 of 9 Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 PM

Liked: 77
Could you just keep the Bose set that you're happy with but replace the sub with an SVS SB1000? It is a pretty attractive little sub woofer but I bet it would give you significant improvement.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page