In ceiling speakers for 4-5k budget? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to set up a 5.1 in ceiling setup, for my mother-in-law. Her room is ~15ft wide, ~30ft deep and 9' ceilings. The TV area is in the front half of that room. The TV is a Sharp 80" with seating about 12 feet away. The electrician wired for in-ceiling speakers, and she would like to keep them hidden.

I've been looking at the Definitve Technologies UIW RCS II, for the front three and UIW RSS II for the surrounds, but am looking for all suggestions within the budget. The budget for speakers, receiver, and subs, is $4-5K.

Retail on the Deftechs is ~$3500, looking ~$650 for a receiver, and probably start with one sub from HSU, PSA, Rythmik, or SVS for ~$900-1000 and add a second later if she feels the need. This brings the bill to right about $5K.

Aesthetics (in-ceiling) and sound quality are the most important things. She doesn't want to have to upgrade anything once I have put in the setup. What other speakers should I look at? I can probably push the budget a little.

On a side note, does anyone know of a higher end A/V showroom in the Salt Lake area? I have always done online before.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Aside from Deftech, I would look into Triad:
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html

Will be within your budget. As for Deftech, I own the RLS II and RSS III's and I paid about half the list price via Ebay from reputable sellers than added a Square Trade warranty. If you want to save money, you could go this route for sure.

Episode also makes nice in-ceiling speakers:
http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/49/Episode-700-Series-Home-Theater-In-Ceiling-LCR-Speaker

Triad and Episode, you will want to work with a local installer/seller.

B&W also makes a similar style speaker.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Aside from Deftech, I would look into Triad:
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html

Will be within your budget. As for Deftech, I own the RLS II and RSS III's and I paid about half the list price via Ebay from reputable sellers than added a Square Trade warranty. If you want to save money, you could go this route for sure.

Episode also makes nice in-ceiling speakers:
http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/49/Episode-700-Series-Home-Theater-In-Ceiling-LCR-Speaker

Triad and Episode, you will want to work with a local installer/seller.

B&W also makes a similar style speaker.

I have also looked at Triad, the biggest issue for me is the 8" depth on the Bronze8/LCR. I will have to go and re-measure, but if I remember right, it will take a lot more work to make space for an 8" deep speaker. I think the Episodes are also 8" depth. I forgot to mention, I am doing two similar in ceiling setups, one on the main floor, and one in the basement. I am working on the basement first. The main floor will not have the depth restrictions.

I will look into the B&W speakers.

Thanks
post #4 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2006 View Post

I have also looked at Triad, the biggest issue for me is the 8" depth on the Bronze8/LCR. I will have to go and re-measure, but if I remember right, it will take a lot more work to make space for an 8" deep speaker. I think the Episodes are also 8" depth. I forgot to mention, I am doing two similar in ceiling setups, one on the main floor, and one in the basement. I am working on the basement first. The main floor will not have the depth restrictions.

I will look into the B&W speakers.

Thanks

Gotcha. I have been super happy with my Deftech speakers. So if you do go in that direction, I think you would be happy with them. There are limited options with proper in-ceiling speaker design, in-wall opens up more possibilities.

Here is the B&W:
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Custom_Installation/CI_Series/CCM7.4.html

I have not heard them (I tend to think B&W is overpriced for what you get) but I know several other folks here at AVS have used them and liked them. They also meet the requirement of being enclosed with the proper angle that will give you the best sound possible for in-ceiloing installations.

Depth is under 8" (7.2").
post #5 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

The Triad Silver/6 Sattelites are a new suggestion that I have received. They are the smallest of the speakers that I am looking at. Anyone have any experience with these? Will they be enough to fill the room with sound?

I don't think that she will be watching movies at reference, even though I like to. I think she is most concerned about getting the best sound quality possible for her money.

BTW, I think I'm going to push her budget and pick up two HSU VTF-15H subs from the start.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Triad Silver/6 Sattelites are a new suggestion that I have received. They are the smallest of the speakers that I am looking at. Anyone have any experience with these? Will they be enough to fill the room with sound?

I don't think that she will be watching movies at reference, even though I like to. I think she is most concerned about getting the best sound quality possible for her money.

BTW, I think I'm going to push her budget and pick up two HSU VTF-15H subs from the start.

I would probably take one of the other options based on the size of your room...

Is your mom a basshead? Having owned a single VTF-15H, I would think one would be enough for your mom and you could always add a second one later.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would probably take one of the other options based on the size of your room...

Is your mom a basshead? Having owned a single VTF-15H, I would think one would be enough for your mom and you could always add a second one later.

I kind of thought that would be the case, I'm hoping to make it over this week to measure the ceiling, so I have a better idea of exactly what I can fit in her ceilings.

I am more of the basshead. biggrin.gif

I think that she would be OK with one sub, but when she hears two she will be happy with the results (and extra expense). She enjoys our place when the bass hits and it shakes your pant legs, vibrates the couches, and your body feels it.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
For the best sound quality you can get out of in-ceiling speakers, IMO you want PSB speakers; specifically the CW383 or CW363.

For the best sound quality in a receiver, you want the Cambridge Audio 551R. It has no competition at anything like its price IMO. Read the Home Theater review for a similar opinion.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I kind of thought that would be the case, I'm hoping to make it over this week to measure the ceiling, so I have a better idea of exactly what I can fit in her ceilings.

I am more of the basshead. biggrin.gif

I think that she would be OK with one sub, but when she hears two she will be happy with the results (and extra expense). She enjoys our place when the bass hits and it shakes your pant legs, vibrates the couches, and your body feels it.

LOL, well two VTF-15H's will do that smile.gif

I just recently went with four subs so I understand where you are coming from biggrin.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

For the best sound quality you can get out of in-ceiling speakers, IMO you want PSB speakers; specifically the CW383 or CW363.

For the best sound quality in a receiver, you want the Cambridge Audio 551R. It has no competition at anything like its price IMO. Read the Home Theater review for a similar opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will research the PSB speakers more. It looks like they are an infinite baffle design, and more designed for in-wall installs, is that correct? It looks like I can rotate the tweeter, but not angle it? I am trying to stay with speakers that have an engineered back box as well as having sound aimed at the seating position as much as possible. From what I've read back boxes are preferable for in-wall/ceiling installs.

Quote:

LOL, well two VTF-15H's will do that smile.gif

I just recently went with four subs so I understand where you are coming from biggrin.gif

What subs for your 4 sub setup, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again for the replies/help so far. I know most on here are against in-ceiling, but I have to work with what I got.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will research the PSB speakers more. It looks like they are an infinite baffle design, and more designed for in-wall installs, is that correct? It looks like I can rotate the tweeter, but not angle it? I am trying to stay with speakers that have an engineered back box as well as having sound aimed at the seating position as much as possible. From what I've read back boxes are preferable for in-wall/ceiling installs.
What subs for your 4 sub setup, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again for the replies/help so far. I know most on here are against in-ceiling, but I have to work with what I got.

The PSB's have an engineered back box you can buy separately, but only the midrange is angled, not the woofer. I have had good experiences with PSB, but the other speakers mentioned in this thead are engineered more for in-ceiling installations. I am not usually gung-ho about in-ceiling (I have in-ceiling upstairs) but my speakers upstairs are Speakercraft and not onpar with the ones in this thread. If I had to do in-ceiling, I think you are doing it the right way and you can still get good sound.

My subs are DIY, and offer the equvalent output of three VTF-15H subs. Built and powered all four of them for $1000 smile.gif Plan on adding two more.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have 2 62CS James loudspeaker Inceiling but they have a new line. See attached.

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/index.cfm?page=ceiling

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #13 of 13 Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedonc4 View Post

We have 2 62CS James loudspeaker Inceiling but they have a new line. See attached.

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/index.cfm?page=ceiling

Thanks, I will take a look at the link
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page