Help with new System problem please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I have a question, its probably basic.

Bear in mind I'm new to this so apologies for any ignorance.

I bought my first home cinema setup a few weeks ago and I'm overall quite happy.

My system is an Onkyo TXNR414 av receiver and Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 speaker package.

For movies and games its perfect but for music the Vector's just don't hit it.

I have decided to replace the left and right speakers with Monitor Audio BX2's and play music stereo through them.

Before I buy I was wondering whether or not this is a good idea and also if I would be better off putting together a hi-fi system (for the same price as the speakers) or just go ahead and add the speakers to my current system.

The bx2's are 300euro. Thanks in advance, all suggestions and advice appreciated.

Mnms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM

Liked: 11
Heya,

Can you describe what exactly is going on that makes you think your current speakers don't "hit it?" for music? I ask simply because it will help dictate whether or not you need new speakers or if you simply need to tweak what you currently have. Or if you get a whole new setup, it will help determine what you might need. So what size is your room and what kind of material in the room (carpet, tile, etc)? What's missing in the sound currently?

For music, and with your budget, you could go towards a nice set of book shelves, or even some entry towers. Either way will probably sound a lot more full and lush and less boomy than your current setup for music. As it is, a lot of the work is probably being done by that woofer since those satellites are 4" woofers basically and cannot dig that deep, so the bigger woofer (which they market as a `sub' woofer) is doing a lot of the work there and probably is boomy I imagine. Get some book shelves or towers that can do more range and it will probably in general sound a lot better depending on your room.

The BX2's are nice, but maybe you can find something with two woofers and a tweeter or horn instead?

I would personally try to sell your current Vector setup, keep your AVR, and re-build a 2.1 setup and expand to surround as you can afford it. I say that because mixing and matching new speakers with your current satellites might not sound very good as they're not going to having matching tone and signature.

Very best,

Source: Pioneer VSX1121 (shopping for an amplifier(s))
Fronts: Polk Monitor 70's x 2
Center: Polk Monitor 70
Side Surrounds: Polk Monitor 50's x 2
Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 50's x 2
Subs: Polk PSW505's x 2
post #3 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks for that,

As I've said I'm no expert but i'll do my best to describe the sound. It's what I would describe as "tinny" as if too much reverb and is certainly not full or warm. It sounds "cheap" and loud with no precision. That's my best effort smile.gif

I have a Logitech 75 euro ipod dock and I prefer music through it. The room is medium sized and far from ideally shaped (I would imagine). It's a converted dormitory so slanted roof. The floor is semi-laminate wood and I could probably do with adding something other than the sofa to dampen the sound.

My reason for choosing the BX2's is that I've been told they wouldn't be miles away from my vectors and would integrate nicely for 5.1 movies//games (timbre matching wise.)

Are they particular speakers you would suggest? I'm living in Ireland and availability can be a problem but suggest away!

Again, thanks for the help.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The V10 speakers you have for your fronts are way too small for good music performance as front speakers.

Buying the BX2 speakers for the fronts is exactly what I would recommend!

That should be a huge improvement for either 2.1 music listening or 5.1 movie listening.

Since the BX2 speakers are rated to go down to around 40-50 Hz, you should set the frequency limit control on your subwoofer to around 50 Hz, so that the subwoofer and main speakers do not overlap with each other too much as this will muddy the bass.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Since the BX2 speakers are rated to go down to around 40-50 Hz, you should set the frequency limit control on your subwoofer to around 50 Hz, so that the subwoofer and main speakers do not overlap with each other too much as this will muddy the bass.

He has an Onkyo TXNR414 which should have bass management. He should use the crossover functionality on his receiver, not the subwoofer.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

If I am to go down the route of simply replacing the front left and right speakers I presume there are none better than the BX2's for tthe price that would integrate well?

Thanks.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update,

Would a pair of radius 90Hd (monitor audio) for an extra 100euro be worth it or would they not fit with the rest of the system?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody? I'm anxious to purchase something soon smile.gif Thanks