AVS Forum banner

Yamaha NS-777 and ....??

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Kini62 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to purchase some Yamaha NS-777 floor speakers for a home theater set up. I will be purchasing the rest of the speakers in that same class for a 5.1 surround sound soon. Right now I am concentrating on the floor speakers and a nice Amp for them. They are 6ohm speakers and I will most likely B-Amp them. What would work best for a receiver? Maybe separates? I'm not sure as this is my first home theater set up other than HTIB.

#2 ·
What is your budget? Are you opposed to factory refurbished receivers? Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer are good options to look at, but it really comes down to what you want to spend. Separates are expensive, given your speaker choice I would probably recommend looking at a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ or better.

#4 ·
I suggest that you consider the Cambridge Audio 551R receiver.

It has plenty of power for those speakers, and its power ratings are REAL power ratings, rather than the evasive misleading BS that most companies put out for power ratings.

It also is by far the best-sounding receiver on the market IMO. Reviews by Home Theater magazine confirm this.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaComa  /t/1459057/yamaha-ns-777-and#post_22985333

Nice to know. I have not looked at the Cambridge Audio 551R receiver.

I was thinking of keeping it all Yamaha or an Emotiva XPA-5 amp and a separate processor, either another Emotiva or an Outlaw.

Well you could look at the Yamaha Aventage line, they will have pre-outs for future upgrades, and seem to be well liked. You would probably be pushing the ~$1000 budget to buy a processor and amp from emotiva, but it would make for a great system.

#7 ·
Skip the Cambridge. It's overpriced and didn't get any better "marks" than the Pioneer Elite SC-61 or 1222K. The Pioneer 1222 at a bout $550 or so (on sale at newegg a lot) would be a great choice. 4 ohm certified and a nice feature set for the money.

But the Emotiva setup would be killer too if you can afford it.

Don't waste your time and effort in bi-amping. It does nothing when the speakers have active crossovers.

Let us know how you like the speakers when you get them. They seem like a great deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.