Cheapy 2.0 Speaker suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Life happens and I had to get rid of my Polk Audio Monitor 5.1 set up about 6 months ago due to money and a baby. Now the time has come to purchase speakers again, but I'm going for a different type of set up. I live in an apartment and don't want to hassle with rear speakers (I had the wires run through the crawl space in my old setup when I was in a house). So, I'm going for a 2.0 setup. I have $200 to spend on speakers. I can do either floor standing or bookshelf. An AV store near me has a set of Boston towers on sale for $99 a piece, or Polk bookshelves for the same price. I'm also considering Sony SS-F6000's off of Amazon, or Fluance AVFR 3 way dynamic compact towers, but I am open to anything.

My main use is for movies and TV. The speakers in my LCD are terrible and I have tried and returned more sound bars than I care to admit. So I really just want a pair of speakers that will give me okay sound without breaking the bank. I may eventually expand this to a 5.1 setup or just add a subwoofer, who knows, but those are all plans for down the road. Right now a stereo set up is all I'm looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM

Liked: 15
Have you check The infinity's 163. Those sound really good IMO. I currently have cheap polks tsi100 and the 163's sound better
post #3 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
fwiw, boston acoustics a250's( white with black grills) $99 ea. at accessories4less

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #4 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them both out.

After looking at prices, man thats a killer deal on those A250's. And I love the white color! Those may be the ticket. Wish somewhere near me had them so I could go hear them, I'm always leery of buying a speaker I have never heard in person. I'm pretty sure it is the CS 260 II that the shop near me has for $99. They look like the CS line, not the A line.

Looking at the Boston CS 260 II vs the A250, they look fairly similar in most specs, the big difference being that the woofers of the CS are 6.5" w/ Graphite injected cones while the A gets 5.5" with ceramic/glass fiber cones. I'm not real well versed in what different cone materials mean. I noticed the A, with its smaller woofer, has a response range 1 hz lower than the CS with its larger woofer. I can only assume that the smaller woofer can get (unnoticably) lower due the difference in cone material. Will the cone material also have an impact on the quality/type of pass produced (tight vs. boomy)? What other differences will it make?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
If you have a Best Buy near you, take a look at the Pioneer FS52, they are very well liked and they sound very good. You can get BB to price match them for $100 each and may be a good option.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #6 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them both out.

After looking at prices, man thats a killer deal on those A250's. And I love the white color! Those may be the ticket. Wish somewhere near me had them so I could go hear them, I'm always leery of buying a speaker I have never heard in person. I'm pretty sure it is the CS 260 II that the shop near me has for $99. They look like the CS line, not the A line.

Looking at the Boston CS 260 II vs the A250, they look fairly similar in most specs, the big difference being that the woofers of the CS are 6.5" w/ Graphite injected cones while the A gets 5.5" with ceramic/glass fiber cones. I'm not real well versed in what different cone materials mean. I noticed the A, with its smaller woofer, has a response range 1 hz lower than the CS with its larger woofer. I can only assume that the smaller woofer can get (unnoticably) lower due the difference in cone material. Will the cone material also have an impact on the quality/type of pass produced (tight vs. boomy)? What other differences will it make?

I think you'd be fine with either of those Boston speakers. Since you're not getting a subwoofer right away I'd recommend the towers over a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Afro GT
post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

If you have a Best Buy near you, take a look at the Pioneer FS52, they are very well liked and they sound very good. You can get BB to price match them for $100 each and may be a good option.

Where are they available at $100 for Best Buy to price match? If I can get them at $100 a piece they are the winner, otherwise I'll have to beg and plead with my wife to extend the budget or go with the boston's
post #8 of 9 Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
If you do consider bookshelf speakers, the Cambridge Audio S30 is really quite remarkable in that price range - $220 from Amazon. I use them, 2.0, in my bedroom.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

If you do consider bookshelf speakers, the Cambridge Audio S30 is really quite remarkable in that price range - $220 from Amazon. I use them, 2.0, in my bedroom.

+1

I used to own a pair of these. At $220, they are very good speakers, especially for their smaller size.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page