Axiom m80 Similar sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody out there who have heard the Axiom M80s know of a tower that has similar sound qualities?

Or know of speakers in the same price range that are also comparable? Someone told Paradigm has a close sound to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Do you own the Axioms?

If you looking for towers in the M80s performance range and price range, look at Paradigm Monitor 9 or 11, Polk RTi A9s, HTD Level 3, ARX A5, Klipsch RF62/82, Monitor Audio silver RX6, PSB Image T6, NHT tower. Each will have there own sonic signiture.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Here is an AH review of the M80s V2s from a few years ago - V3s are the current model with some minor changes:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/axiom-m60-v2

As for comparable sound, I can't give you any specific examples; however, most towers that I auditioned last year at that price point measure quite accurately (according to the builder) & sound somewhat similar, but each have their own signature sound. It's up to the listener to choose what they like best...

TAM
post #4 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If you like the M80's why would you not just buy those? Or am I missing something here?
post #5 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I have been auditioning the M80 v2s that are my friends. Really fell in love with the sound. Encountered an issue with the tweeters crackling and we have pretty much narrowed it down to the crossover.

Now I'm torn with replacing the crossover and keeping the v2s or buying the m80 v3s new. But in the meantime I want to entertain other speakers as well.

I have auditioned KEF q900s, they sounded good but wasn't my cup of tea. I have heard the Paradigm s8s at a friends, boy do they sound good. Way out of the price rangoe of course, but hearing those has made me curious about Paradigm as well.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM

It's funny that after I posted above, I reflected back on how 'tower speakers' have changed since I became an audio enthusiast in the late 1960s. Towers then were squat, wide & quite homely as contrasted to the slender, elegant towers of today. We thought that they performed wonderfully, especially when we were 'rockin' but now it's kinda laughable. Of course, you had to have a set with at least 12" woofers & 15" was even better or you weren't a real man, or so we thought, ha! Now an 8" driver is considered to be large.

Over the years I migrated away from towers to sats & subs as for me they are just nicer looking in any home that I've owned. Good sats accompanied by a small, powerful, accurate sub or two can be wonderful for music at moderate levels. With bigger subs, they can perform admirably for HT as well. Towers still are preferable for most with systems in bigger rooms though.

Enough ramblin on...

TAM
post #7 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Mrgreg: I now recognize your queries from the manufacturer's forum.

You could save yourself a bunch of bucks if you really like them & by obtaining some new parts to bring them back to new. It shouldn't be too complicated to accomplish...

TAM
post #8 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mrgreg View Post

I have been auditioning the M80 v2s that are my friends. Really fell in love with the sound. Encountered an issue with the tweeters crackling and we have pretty much narrowed it down to the crossover.

Now I'm torn with replacing the crossover and keeping the v2s or buying the m80 v3s new. But in the meantime I want to entertain other speakers as well.

I have auditioned KEF q900s, they sounded good but wasn't my cup of tea. I have heard the Paradigm s8s at a friends, boy do they sound good. Way out of the price rangoe of course, but hearing those has made me curious about Paradigm as well.

I would say audition more speakers, but if you like the Axiom's get them. Aperion offers free shipping both ways on their speakers (risk free) as does EMPTek:
http://www.emptek.com/e55ti.php

EmpTek are made by RBH Sound which is a very solid company and you have no risk if you try them, don't like them, and want to ship them back. Some other companies I would consider for local auditions would be Deftech, PSB, and Goldenear.

I actually like the Kef speakers myself, but everyone is different smile.gif

Also, how much would it be to have Axiom repair/replace the crossover? That may be the cheapest route...
post #9 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

The crossover is reasonably priced, but that coupled with purchasing the speakers themselves will put me to close to the brand new v3s price range. Also Axiom only has crossovers for the v3s so I would most likely need to replace them on both towers since the crossover frequencies on the v3s were different.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The crossover is reasonably priced, but that coupled with purchasing the speakers themselves will put me to close to the brand new v3s price range. Also Axiom only has crossovers for the v3s so I would most likely need to replace them on both towers since the crossover frequencies on the v3s were different.

Why would you be responsible for replacing them? Shouldn't the guy who is trying to sell the speakers be on the hook? I am also not sure how wise it would be to change out the crossovers to the newer versions unless there were no other changes to the components of the speakers. Also, your friend should be willing to lower the price considerably IMHO for speakers that are no longer under warranty and are used (and not properly working). Speakers typically don't hold their value well at all. I would not pay more than 40-50% of the original price for working ones, probably much less for ones that require the crossover to be repaired or replaced.

I am with you. At that point if you really like the Axioms and want them, just buy the new ones that have a warranty.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

. But in the meantime I want to entertain other speakers as well.

I'd second what Ack said and try out the Aperion towers. Free shipping both ways and you'd be very surprised at how much better the fit and finish is compared to the Axiom. The key is to try and listen in your room to give all the speakers a fair chance. Listening to something on a retail floor isn't the best environment and a well treated highend show room doesn't come close to being like most peoples living rooms.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM

Yup, I wouldn't buy them if they have issues that aren't taken care of before the purchase, unless he wants to give them up for really cheap or preferably for nothing. I'd pass I think. That opens you up to searching lots of brands which can be a lot of effort but can also be an enjoyable exercise if you like that sort of thing.

BTW, Axiom's fit & finish is just fine as has been commented on numerous times in reviews over the past couple of decades. The 9 various new Ax's that I've bought over the past year (both vinyl & real wood - all B Stock) are virtually flawless even under close inspection; however, I noticed that 1 of my wood M3s had a small, almost invisible flaw in the veneer (probably out of the veneer factory) that I wouldn't have even noticed without closely looking nor would I have classed it as B Stock. Obviously, the factory thought differently.

B Stocks from any manufacturer can be a great way to save some bucks...

TAM
post #13 of 15 Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's advice. Decided against the hassle of the busted crossover and doing business with really good friends. So I went ahead and listened to quite a few other brands.
Listened to:
Klipsch rf7 II
Paradigm studio 60s
Revel F206- these sounded great, out of my price range for now

Both pairs of Golden Ear towers
Focal 714v
Focal 726v
Focal 836w

I decided on the Focal 726v, listened to the same tracks on all the speakers and felt the imaging was just incredible to my ears. The Focal 836w took that imaging a step further, could of sworn the center channel was on type effect, but was out of the price range. The Revel speaker I feel was the same situation, little bit more than I wanted to spend. The Klipsch was just too much for me, think it is great If you are having a party and want to go all out!
Although I was pleasantly surprised that the Focal 726v played incredibly loud, louder than I had expected they would. I could definitely see how people would like the Golden Ears, salesman even told me they are their biggest seller right now. I sat there and couldn't decide if I like them or not. I don't think the whole powered sub in the tower is for me, I felt it took away from the rest of the performance. I understand you can turn the gain down on the sub but then what are you buying it for was my thinking. I thought the detail was good, but almost felt like at one point they were muffled a bit.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats, Focal is good stuff. Seems like you made an informed purchase.

Enjoy!
post #15 of 15 Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM

When I was shopping for speakers last year, I auditioned several Focal tower models. They were certainly as competent as their competitors in their price range - similarly good IMHO; however, in the end I ended up with Axioms (M22s - each with its own sub for HT).

Good choice - enjoy....

TAM
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page