klipsch rs42-II vs axiom qs4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi from australia, new here. anyway am just about decided on the qs4 for four surrounds, as i like idea of their flush wall mounting brackets and also dont have to tilt speakers down and have brackets, reason is my rooms only 4metres bye 3.5metres and speakers will need to b high up(8ft on wall and each speaker b approx 1.5metres from listening position),but my point really is i dont have option in small city im in to listen to either brand of speakers i like. but if people think klipsch are far superior for my smaller room id def listen to sum1 here with lot more audio experience than me, but the sound doesnt have to be super great, as anything is far better than that super crap i have at moment as surrounds. but if people think the axioms are good too for audio id pick them as like i said i like idea of their wall mounts and they just looks much nicer ..id be ordering via the net(which doesnt bother me) as we get ripped here in oz., thank you anyone and excuse my poor typing skills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 23
The klipsch has a lower frequency response but other than that they will both perform about the same. I think you would be happy with either. If you said they are going on a back wall 8' behind the couch I would say klipsch, but if you said the couch is on the back wall, than I would say axiom, because of the bottom firing woofer. hope that makes sense, just my own pesonal thoughts. As far as install, I think the axiom would be quicker and easier as it comes with a bracket for on wall install. I have 1 rs42 and 1 axiom qs4. My advice is too get the size you want now so your not left wondering, why didn't I get the rs52 or the qs8, but I know that budget always come into play. I would set the crossover & 80 for the klipsch and 100 for the axiom. Hope that helps and good luck with everything and again I think you would be happy with either one you pick.smile.gif
Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

The klipsch has a lower frequency response but other than that they will both perform about the same. I think you would be happy with either. If you said they are going on a back wall 8' behind the couch I would say klipsch, but if you said the couch is on the back wall, than I would say axiom, because of the bottom firing woofer. hope that makes sense, just my own pesonal thoughts. As far as install, I think the axiom would be quicker and easier as it comes with a bracket for on wall install. I have 1 rs42 and 1 axiom qs4. My advice is too get the size you want now so your not left wondering, why didn't I get the rs52 or the qs8, but I know that budget always come into play. I would set the crossover & 80 for the klipsch and 100 for the axiom. Hope that helps and good luck with everything and again I think you would be happy with either one you pick.smile.gif

Can you explain the bottom firing woofer a little more? I am looking at the Axiom too ...for my surrounds. I am still debating on direct speakers on the back wall vs. surrounds on the side wall.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM

Well with the axiom qs speakers you have a top and bottom woofer' so I felt with a couch flat on the rear wall that you get a little more sound as opposed to a forward facing surround. I felt if the wall is 3 ft. from the couch then either speaker works well. If my wall was 8 ft behind my couch I might lean towards the klipsch, hopefully that makes sense. I have both speakers mentioned and its just personal opinion, the way I think best suits me. With side surrounds though this doesn't really apply for me.

I gave the rs42 to my son and kept the axiom in my secondary system as my couch is directly on the rear wall. My main system is a 9.2 with all paradigm studio speakers and I admit its nice to have all matching speakers if you listen to a lot of music. Hope that helps and not just confuse you more.smile.gif
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
tyvm for replies guys. reason i was leaning towards the axioms like i said is im fairly close to back wall from couch,less than 4 ft and bout 3ft from side wall( not 100% sure), , so john or any1 else u dont think the qs8s be overkill???? or say soudn worse than qs4s cos im in a small room, i get wot ya saying, incase i move in future and have a bigger room n want sumthing bigger i alredy have them,diff in price between the two isnt that much of problem 4 me i was just worried the larrger ones wouldnt sound as good ina small room, thanks again all
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidean View Post

tyvm for replies guys. reason i was leaning towards the axioms like i said is im fairly close to back wall from couch,less than 4 ft and bout 3ft from side wall( not 100% sure), , so john or any1 else u dont think the qs8s be overkill???? or say soudn worse than qs4s cos im in a small room, i get wot ya saying, incase i move in future and have a bigger room n want sumthing bigger i alredy have them,diff in price between the two isnt that much of problem 4 me i was just worried the larrger ones wouldnt sound as good ina small room, thanks again all

I'm using the Q4's in my 16x21 living room with very good results...the Q series is one speakers I would have confidence in recommending to others on any forum. If you read the comments from the Axiom crowd they'll likely push you towards their larger speakers like Q8's....I messaged a few privately and they mostly told me the Q4's would suffice and why I bought them in the end.

Good luck in you decision... Bill...smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM

When I mentioned the qs8 it was just to get to to think about it, you know your self better than I do. For me I am the type to purchase a speaker and then wish I had gotten the next one up the line. Its cheaper in the long run for myself just to do it right the first time, again thats just me. Like I said, I have paradigm studios 9.2 system in a 12 x 15 ft room...I am overkill!! Either qs4 or qs8 will work for you. your choice. I think you will be happy either way.smile.gif
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have 2 QS4s on my back wall about 6 feet behind my couch. They work really well as their design really enhances the surround effects. The 4s are not inadequate in any way in my setup - in fact, they sound much bigger than they are. I feel no reason to upgrade to the QS8s.

Furthermore, Axioms' included powered T-Bracket is the slickest way to mount a speaker flat on a wall that I've ever experienced...

TAM