$1000 for Front Stage - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

Did I say somthing wrong in my post? nope, anything untrue, nope. So you get upset that I have my own opinion which differs from yours? You said that emp sounds alot like the studios because some guy on some forum said so, and you thinks thats credible?
Do you do this to everyone who has a different opinion from yours? Do $800 dollar speakers sound like $4000 speaker, In my opinion no. I remember reading in audioholics from jean I believe, that if someone tells you that a $400 dollar bookshelf sounds like a $1400 bookshelf, then they are probaly smoking something. I am sure Emp speakers are very cable and they are very nice looking and are a great price, and I'm sure many happy owners also. If i've said anything untrue in my statement or previous post than prove me wrong, just don't use statements like "some guy on some forum" Doesn't matter, me or you, we seem to get defensive when we both just like the hobby? I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers! In a perfect world , we would all get to hear every speaker out there and own some of them, or as many as the wife would let.smile.gif Have a good night.smile.gif


Well to be honest, you kinda started it. You took a sentence from his comment out of context and attacked it. I asked for his opinion on the speakers and he gave it to me.

Louquid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

"There's a user on another forum that compared his e55ti's to Paradigms Studio 100's. Said they were very close to the same and the Studio's are more than 2x the price" Some guy on some forum said this? Now there is some rock solid evidence. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard comments like this, I would have enough money to buy another set of speakers. Its a great way for people to feel good about their speaker purchase. There was another company where owners said they compare to the studios and I found the hard way that it wasn't true when I compared them side by side. I am not saying emp speakers aren't great for the money, as I have not heard them, it's just I don't buy into the premise that "some guy said" or my buddy told me. If I did buy into this then I would have believed my neighbor 10 years ago when he told me bose was the best. The nice thing about Id brands that you can listen in your own home and return them if you don't like them.

It's not like he found some quote on Amazon or something and took it and ran... The whole point of this forum is for people with a common interest to provide help and create discussions. A lot of people come here for advice and use it to make an informed decision. If you don't want to listen to someones opinion then why come to a forum like this...?

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #33 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

Did I say somthing wrong in my post? nope, anything untrue, nope. So you get upset that I have my own opinion which differs from yours? You said that emp sounds alot like the studios because some guy on some forum said so, and you thinks thats credible?

Do you do this to everyone who has a different opinion from yours? Do $800 dollar speakers sound like $4000 speaker, In my opinion no. I remember reading in audioholics from jean I believe, that if someone tells you that a $400 dollar bookshelf sounds like a $1400 bookshelf, then they are probaly smoking something. I am sure Emp speakers are very cable and they are very nice looking and are a great price, and I'm sure many happy owners also. If i've said anything untrue in my statement or previous post than prove me wrong, just don't use statements like "some guy on some forum" Doesn't matter, me or you, we seem to get defensive when we both just like the hobby? I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers! In a perfect world , we would all get to hear every speaker out there and own some of them, or as many as the wife would let.smile.gif Have a good night.smile.gif

You didn't say anything wrong, but you assume that everyone's opinion on speakers is somehow invalid. Well my friend, speakers are subjective....so you're ALWAYS going to have just a persons opinions. You sound like you didn't do any research and just took some guys word for it way too quickly and it backfired. That happens A TON to people, but It's nobody's fault but your own.

When did I say a $800 speaker sounds like a $4,000 speaker? Even if I did....it would be my opinion. And there would be more factors within that like budget, diminishing returns, aesthetics,...this list could go on for awhile. It's seriously not a hard concept to grasp. I highly doubt GENE said that or meant that could relate to every speaker out there. Even then...that's his opinion. I might think a $400 bookshelf sounds better than a $1400 bookshelf. So might you.

I'm not going to "prove you wrong" b/c there's nothing to prove. I provided opinions on his question and that's it. That's all it will ever be in this hobby. This is a friendly forum for people to exchange their feelings on subjective matters. I'm not going to go dig up the life story of some other guy on another forum just to prove to another random guy on here that he somehow has a valid point and we should all take it as fact lol. If you want to look at the guys review or see what he's listened to and how he's heard them, it's out there and not hard. I'm sure I could find it and post it if OP wanted. I merely put that out there as another opinion and outsiders views on this subjective hobby.

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #34 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Member
 
John1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
"Based on past and more recent reviews, the e55's are more on par with the Studio's from Paradigm" You said it, now show me a professional reviewer that states this. You say speakers are subjective and we all have our opinions, except your opinion is not yours, its someone else's. You praise these speakers, and say they sound like the studios with no first hand experience. Do you give people the flip side of the coin, like they came tied for 3rd place in the 1k speaker challenge, losing to the klipsch rf62 and the axiom m60, yet they sound like the studio's. Good one!! Thats why I would trust a professional opinion over yours any day as professionals give the pros and the cons. You say its a friendly forum but you sound anthing but friendly. 1 too many redbulls?
John1400 is offline  
post #35 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

"Based on past and more recent reviews, the e55's are more on par with the Studio's from Paradigm" You said it, now show me a professional reviewer that states this. You say speakers are subjective and we all have our opinions, except your opinion is not yours, its someone else's. You praise these speakers, and say they sound like the studios with no first hand experience. Do you give people the flip side of the coin, like they came tied for 3rd place in the 1k speaker challenge, losing to the klipsch rf62 and the axiom m60, yet they sound like the studio's. Good one!! Thats why I would trust a professional opinion over yours any day as professionals give the pros and the cons. You say its a friendly forum but you sound anthing but friendly. 1 too many redbulls?

Lol......wow.......this has to be literally one of the dumbest posts I've seen.

I said it...so you want me to show you a "professional reviewer" that states the same? Why. So you can have ANOTHER SUBJECTIVE OPINION? You're obviously having a hard time grasping that concept of HELP on a SUBJECTIVE topic. Nothing is right or wrong. Everything is stated to be of help to someone, whether they use it or not is their choice. What I like someone else likely will not.

Why is quoting someone elses opinion a big deal? You just did it in this post lol. Should I get my panties in a bunch? You're a few nuggets short of a happy meal huh? ....that's rhetorical if you couldn't understand that either

I've NEVER stated that I think they sound like Studios. Why would I...I've never heard them. Hence why I said what I did. I certainly don't praise these speakers lol. Are they good? Yes...to me. Are they good for the price I got them at....hell yes...to me. To most others they'd be pretty darn good too I'd think, especially given the BF price. Would you like them? I don't know. I really don't care either. I don't have stock in RBH/EMP. But it's sure nice for newcomers to have another option out there. Sounds like you might have needed one before you got burnt basing all your judgement on someone elses opinion of a speaker. What a poster child for this campaign

So you can look up a review and quote it and somehow "get me"? What's even more funny is that in that "professional" review....the scores obtained that you've based your statement on are from "2 trained listeners and 4 casual listeners". HAHAHAHAHAHA. You realize YOU are the exact definition of a hypocrite. rolleyes.gif



Quote from that review:

"The EMP E55ti's overall score ranked 3rd place but its scoring on midrange and dynamics were higher than every other speaker in this comparison. The Klipsch significantly reduced the EMP highs, bass and imaging rankings when the two speakers were directly compared. The EMPs highest dynamic ranking was when it was directly compared to the Axioms."


Myself and many others would GLADLY take something other than "klipsch highs and bass" any day of the week. Harsh treble and bloated midbass isn't my thing. What's even better is if you would have read any further you would have seen the comments from the reviewers...

Klipsch RF-62 Sighted Listening Comments

Very weak mids and highs are very brash. This speaker is heavily bass biased.
Excessive highs. Singer had too much lisp in her voice. Midrange was very lacking.
Voice has harsher edge than I heard on this speaker before. The bass was clean and deep.
Sound was great but a bit too bright.



Man!! WHAT GREAT HIGHS!!!!

What about this graph? And lets not forget that the e55's are the cheapest of the bunch. Over $300 cheaper than the m60's actually.



Since time was limited, I only asked each listener to offer a final overall ranking for each speaker while listening to them without the grille cloth coverings. The speakers were level matched exactly how they were done in the blind testing. One of our trained listeners was unavailable for the sighted tests which would have likely boosted the EMP and JBL ratings since he scored those highest among the four speakers during the blind tests. The results were averaged are tabulated below.

In this round of testing, the EMP E55ti's appeared to come out on top while the Klipsch RF-62's and Axiom M60v2's ratings dropped most dramatically. I believe the most significant reason for preference changes in the sighted testing had to do with restoring the tonal balance of all of the speakers once the lossy grille cover was removed. Aesthetics may have also played a factor though nobody commented on the appearance of any of the speakers in the comparison since they were sitting so far away and focused more on what they were hearing while note taking.



But wait....what about these reviews from your beloved, and what seems like the only opinion that matters to you?

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/emp-e56ci-e55wi/emp-intro

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/emp-tek-e55ti-first-look

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/system-buying-guides/6k-home-theater-system

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/emp-tek-impression-e5tir/impression-series-listening-tests-and-conclusion (what about even the little guys!)



GTFO Troll rolleyes.gif
Transmaniacon likes this.

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #36 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Member
 
John1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Your really not the most friendly person around here are you? Its really the dumbest thing you ever read? serious? I am a troll? and GFTO? Wow, Is this how you act in real life? Are you 18 years old?, You certainly think alot of yourself. In real life there is always 2 sides to a story, always a flip side, all speakers have pros and cons but you seem to have a problem with my opinions and would rather resort to name calling rather than discuss or debate the subject. I leave you alone and won't respond to you again as I have upset you. Now go post somemore and feed your own ego! cool.gif
John1400 is offline  
post #37 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

In real life there is always 2 sides to a story, always a flip side, all speakers have pros and cons but you seem to have a problem with my opinions and would rather resort to name calling rather than discuss or debate the subject.


Your realize you entire presence in this thread has been about the difference between a normal guy's review and a professional review and how one is invalid. Then you come back and say there's 2 sides to each store and each has it's pro's and con's. That is the complete opposite of what you were whining about earlier. Please answer how one subjective opinion is better than another subjective opinion. How in the world would you get that I have a problem with your opinion when I'm the one providing opinions in the form of reviews to the OP. Your initial and entire argument has been that unless it's a professional review it's meaningless.

So yes...that is the dumbest thing I've seen here in awhile. I've been more than helpful to the OP and in every thread I post in, until someone post something stupid. You're the guy that got upset at someone trying to help someone else out. Again, sounds like you're bitter because someone didn't help you out with your decisions. We've been discussing this for awhile now and you STILL can't seem to grasp the idea. There's only so much I can do before I just have to sit back and watch you look like an idiot

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #38 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

Your really not the most friendly person around here are you? Its really the dumbest thing you ever read? serious? I am a troll? and GFTO? Wow, Is this how you act in real life? Are you 18 years old?, You certainly think alot of yourself. In real life there is always 2 sides to a story, always a flip side, all speakers have pros and cons but you seem to have a problem with my opinions and would rather resort to name calling rather than discuss or debate the subject. I leave you alone and won't respond to you again as I have upset you. Now go post somemore and feed your own ego! cool.gif

Dude, you started off on a rampage with that first post and haven't stopped. Why don't we go back to Louquid's needs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

I keep going back to the Wharfdale's. The Diamond 10.2's are beautiful in my opinion. The towers look even better, but I think logically I'd have to go with the 10.2 bookshelfs.

But, a pair of Focal 706V's would also be awesome. At this particular point in time I'm almost trying to decide between this:

Wharfdale Diamond 10.2 pair - $450
Wharfdale Diamond 10 CM - $450

VS.

Focal Chorus 706V pair -$500
Focal Chorus CC700V - $400

Both sets come out to $900...

I would suggest just ordering the left/right pair of each of the ones you like, and do the in home demo thing. You'll eat $30 or so in shipping as a "demo fee" to return one pair, but well worth it given how much you are spending. Plus it's fun to compare two pairs of speakers in your own home smile.gif

cel4145 is offline  
post #39 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Dude, you started off on a rampage with that first post and haven't stopped. Why don't we go back to Louquid's needs?
I would suggest just ordering the left/right pair of each of the ones you like, and do the in home demo thing. You'll eat $30 or so in shipping as a "demo fee" to return one pair, but well worth it given how much you are spending. Plus it's fun to compare two pairs of speakers in your own home smile.gif
+1 fwiw,you did right on limiting your selections as it can get pretty crazy getting bombarded with 100 recommendations and their opinions. you have to take everyones opinions with a grain of salt pretty much and use them as only a guide.as room acoustics and size has a great bearing on sound as someones speakers that sound good to him in his room and surroundings will sound quite different in yours. same as listening to speakers in a store they might sound good in store but when you get them home in your surroundings youwill find that they don't sound the same as the store.both of those suggestions should sound very good as they come from very well respected speaker makers.( what i do when i look for new speakers is to research maybe three or four of some very respected speaker manufactuers and get a list of ones in my budget,then try to listen to as many as i can at my home. like it was said before there is no better speaker than the one "your" ears like and pretty much the only way to find that out is to try them out in your own home and surroundings. just my 2 cents and goodluck . do a little research have fun with this experience

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is online now  
post #40 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try out the Wharfedales and Focals soon. The more I read about the Wharfedales the more I think I'll like them, and the better I think they look. Chances are I'll go into my demo comparison hoping for the Wharfs to sound better. And I'll most likely think they do, whether they do or not. Ha.

Are there any other suggestions for speakers? Are there bookshelf speakers a tier higher than these that you guys recommend? For example, I see the Ascend Sierra-1's are highly recommended and are double the cost of the Wharf/Focals I'm looking at. Would the Sierra-1's (or equivalent speakers at this level) be that much better?

Louquid is offline  
post #41 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try out the Wharfedales and Focals soon. The more I read about the Wharfedales the more I think I'll like them, and the better I think they look. Chances are I'll go into my demo comparison hoping for the Wharfs to sound better. And I'll most likely think they do, whether they do or not. Ha.

Are there any other suggestions for speakers? Are there bookshelf speakers a tier higher than these that you guys recommend? For example, I see the Ascend Sierra-1's are highly recommended and are double the cost of the Wharf/Focals I'm looking at. Would the Sierra-1's (or equivalent speakers at this level) be that much better?

That's truly one of the biggest and hardest parts about speaker shopping....is speaker A worth it over speaker B for this amount of money? Very tough call and will differ for everyone.

Sorry to clog your thread btw. Wasn't trying to make it go off topic...but ...yeah. Glad we're back on topic

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #42 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

That's truly one of the biggest and hardest parts about speaker shopping....is speaker A worth it over speaker B for this amount of money? Very tough call and will differ for everyone.

Sorry to clog your thread btw. Wasn't trying to make it go off topic...but ...yeah. Glad we're back on topic

Ha yeah it is tough. It's hard to know when to stop busting my own budget.

Louquid is offline  
post #43 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well guys, I finally received the Wharfedale 10.2's. They had been on backorder for the past 2 weeks now. I set them up and quickly realized how huge these bookshelf speakers are. Definitely wider and deeper than my Pioneer floorstanders.

Upon first listen, I noticed these speakers have a much better tweeter than the Pioneers. The bass is also pretty impressive as it hits deep with tight and punchy notes. Listening to a few songs in direct mode (2.0 only) I started to wonder if my sub was playing or not. It wasn't, but the depth of the bass from the Wharfes really had me in a bit of shock here. They definitely hit lower than my Pioneer towers did.

Now, other than the much improved tweeter and bass extension, I really can't hear much else improved over the Pioneers. This is with only 3 hours of listening time though, so I'm not trying to judge them before they really break in and settle down. The midrange seemed just as warm as the Pioneers, while being a bit more revealing. It was easier to hear the detail and didn't quite seem as muffled sounding as the Pioneers. But this area of improvement was only semi-noticeable.

One this that was also surprising was how much more efficient the Wharfes are, despite being rated at 86dB while the Pioneers are 87dB. Doing A/B comparisons I had to bump the gain up for the Pioneers.

I'll be testing them out a bit more tonight and tomorrow.

Louquid is offline  
post #44 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Well guys, I finally received the Wharfedale 10.2's. They had been on backorder for the past 2 weeks now. I set them up and quickly realized how huge these bookshelf speakers are. Definitely wider and deeper than my Pioneer floorstanders.

Upon first listen, I noticed these speakers have a much better tweeter than the Pioneers. The bass is also pretty impressive as it hits deep with tight and punchy notes. Listening to a few songs in direct mode (2.0 only) I started to wonder if my sub was playing or not. It wasn't, but the depth of the bass from the Wharfes really had me in a bit of shock here. They definitely hit lower than my Pioneer towers did.

Now, other than the much improved tweeter and bass extension, I really can't hear much else improved over the Pioneers. This is with only 3 hours of listening time though, so I'm not trying to judge them before they really break in and settle down. The midrange seemed just as warm as the Pioneers, while being a bit more revealing. It was easier to hear the detail and didn't quite seem as muffled sounding as the Pioneers. But this area of improvement was only semi-noticeable.

One this that was also surprising was how much more efficient the Wharfes are, despite being rated at 86dB while the Pioneers are 87dB. Doing A/B comparisons I had to bump the gain up for the Pioneers.

I'll be testing them out a bit more tonight and tomorrow.

Well glad you like certain things about them so far. Does Wharfedale offer a return program in case you want to try another option? It will definitely take more than just a short listening period to start picking out things you've missed (if the speaker is actually better). Best to use songs you're very familiar with and see if there is anything that sounds different (in a good or bad way). Do you have an AVR that has EQ....something like Audyssey MultEQ XT or XT32 from Denon?

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #45 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Well glad you like certain things about them so far. Does Wharfedale offer a return program in case you want to try another option? It will definitely take more than just a short listening period to start picking out things you've missed (if the speaker is actually better). Best to use songs you're very familiar with and see if there is anything that sounds different (in a good or bad way). Do you have an AVR that has EQ....something like Audyssey MultEQ XT or XT32 from Denon?

I bought the speakers from Music Direct, they have a 30 day trial period. Should be relatively easy to return them if I feel I need to.

I have a Denon 791 with Audyssey MultiEQ. I noticed that pre Audyssey, the Wharfedales had a much better sound than the Pioneers. But after running Audyssey the gap between them seemed to narrow a bit.

What would a typical break-in period be for a set of speakers? I'm sure it differs for every speaker though. I know it took about a week of 3+ hour listening everyday to get my sub broken in nicely.

Louquid is offline  
post #46 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Of those that believe speaker break-in has a benefit (I do), 40 to 50 hours seems to be about the maximum amount of time speakers need. Any break-in beyond that occurs so slowly that you wouldn't be able to tell. Leave 'em playing at moderate volumes while you go to work, and you'll have them broken in within a few days.

cel4145 is offline  
post #47 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Paraneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I agree with Cel. Speakers being an electro-mechanical device need time to break in. 50 hours is good and they should start to really open up. This was the case with my Wharfedale Diamond 9's when I had them.

Congrats on the Wharfedale Diamond 10's Loquid. They are really great speakers but very underated here in the USA. Most simply haven't heard them due to Wharfedales poor NA distribution network. They sell very well overseas and have gathered worldwide acclaim. I doubt you will be returning them - while I am sure many would disagree, they are top performers in their price range.

I had a full set of Diamond 9's anchored by the flagship 9.6 towers for several years before I upgraded to Viennas. I sold the 9.6 and .9CM center to a good friend who loved them - so I still get to hear them quite often. I kept the 9.2's and use them as my surrounds. They blend in well with my Vienna Acoustics front three and I really can't see parting with them. I enjoy them a lot. I agree - they are pretty big for bookshelf/stand mount speaker. Especially the depth of them. The curved cabinrts are pretty sexy too. What color did you get?

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Paraneer is offline  
post #48 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

I agree with Cel. Speakers being an electro-mechanical device need time to break in. 50 hours is good and they should start to really open up. This was the case with my Wharfedale Diamond 9's when I had them.

Congrats on the Wharfedale Diamond 10's Loquid. They are really great speakers but very underated here in the USA. Most simply haven't heard them due to Wharfedales poor NA distribution network. They sell very well overseas and have gathered worldwide acclaim. I doubt you will be returning them - while I am sure many would disagree, they are top performers in their price range.

I had a full set of Diamond 9's anchored by the flagship 9.6 towers for several years before I upgraded to Viennas. I sold the 9.6 and .9CM center to a good friend who loved them - so I still get to hear them quite often. I kept the 9.2's and use them as my surrounds. They blend in well with my Vienna Acoustics front three and I really can't see parting with them. I enjoy them a lot. I agree - they are pretty big for bookshelf/stand mount speaker. Especially the depth of them. The curved cabinrts are pretty sexy too. What color did you get?

Yeah, It was very difficult finding reviews or information about the Wharfedales. Most of the articles/forums I found were from overseas buyers.

So far the SQ is substantially better than my Pioneers. So I'm anxious to see how they really sound after they have time to loosen up a bit. I'm a firm believer in break-in now since I witnessed the change in SQ with my sub.

I just can't help but feel my Pioneer floorstanders are tiny in comparison to the 10.2's. Not just in physical size, but also in terms of sound and presence. Everything about the appearance of these speakers makes me happy. I went with the Cherry finish and it really stands out nicely and matches my sub. I'll try to take some pics later when I get home.

Louquid is offline  
post #49 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
The psb b6 and aperion verus grand are VERY. Similar in sound. I had them side by side in my house and not much in difference. Definitely not an improvement one way or the other. Since I already had the b6 paid for I returned the VGb And saved close to 1000$ all said and done

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #50 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
border411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^^Hey Brian...I am going to listen to the B5's and C4 this weekend. I will PM you afterwards. Have to drive ONLY 60 miles to hear them!eek.gif

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub
border411 is offline  
post #51 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

The psb b6 and aperion verus grand are VERY. Similar in sound. I had them side by side in my house and not much in difference. Definitely not an improvement one way or the other. Since I already had the b6 paid for I returned the VGb And saved close to 1000$ all said and done

Yikes. I've actually read similar stories of the Aperion before. That they may be a bit overpriced compared to some other offerings.

Louquid is offline  
post #52 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Paraneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

I just can't help but feel my Pioneer floorstanders are tiny in comparison to the 10.2's. Not just in physical size, but also in terms of sound and presence. Everything about the appearance of these speakers makes me happy. I went with the Cherry finish and it really stands out nicely and matches my sub. I'll try to take some pics later when I get home.

Cherry - Very nice Louquid. My 9.2's are cherry too. Here is a pic of mine sans grills. Yeah, post some pics of yours when you get home. Enjoy them!


Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Paraneer is offline  
post #53 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by border411 View Post

^^Hey Brian...I am going to listen to the B5's and C4 this weekend. I will PM you afterwards. Have to drive ONLY 60 miles to hear them!eek.gif
Awesome lmk!!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #54 of 60 Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

The psb b6 and aperion verus grand are VERY. Similar in sound. I had them side by side in my house and not much in difference. Definitely not an improvement one way or the other. Since I already had the b6 paid for I returned the VGb And saved close to 1000$ all said and done

That actually speaks pretty well for both models. If they're competently designed - and both are - then they should sound fairly alike.

The differences in price are in part due to cosmetics.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #55 of 60 Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Here are a few pics. Don't mind the mess. lol






i listened to them a good bit more last night, strictly in stereo, and it's awesome. I played a few 5.1 tracks that I typically play, but I played them in stereo mode. My wife thought I had all speakers playing and my sub turned down to a reasonable volume. Ha. The soundstage with these is huge.

Louquid is offline  
post #56 of 60 Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Gears....nice biggrin.gif

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #57 of 60 Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Ha. I was actually listening to the soundtrack on Youtube. I let it play when I'm trying to get things done. It makes everything feel epic.

Louquid is offline  
post #58 of 60 Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Your speakers look great smile.gif

cel4145 is offline  
post #59 of 60 Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Paraneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Very nice speakers. Thanks for posting Louquid. I gotta admit, the Diamond series 10 look so much better than the series 9, especially the gloss black baffles. Very cool!

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Paraneer is offline  
post #60 of 60 Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Congrats on the new speakers. They look very very nice, and I imagine sound even nicer. smile.gif

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off