Help With Floor Standing Speakers - AVS Forum
Speakers > Help With Floor Standing Speakers
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp 09:40 AM 02-21-2013
It has been a very long time since my last posting and am in need of a little assistance. I am in the market for a new set of floor standing speakers as my current speakers are about 15 years old and are a pair of crap sonys at the time it seemed like a good purchase.

My budget is about 1200$ total for the pair which I could stretch to maybe 1500$ pending on the wife approval factor.

My current system includes a Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver and a Mach 5 Audio IXL 15 Sub. A JBL S-Center and a pair of Klipsch surrounds. I'm in the military so my listning room is always changing shape size flooring etc.

I listen to about 70% Movies and 30% Music with a wide variety of music Nickleback, Frank Sanatra, Skrillex. Jay-Z, My Darkest Days, Theory of a Deadman to name a few.

Given my sub I dont think the low end of the spectrum is a big concern for my floor standing speakers but the mids and highs are. I have looked at a few spekaers in my price range but am looking for more suggestions. There are so many different speaker manufactors out there. I don't know much about B&W nor Energy Speakers but like most am unable to audition most speakers out there. I may be able to go to a local BB Magnolia Home Theater to listen to some Energy or Definitive Technology speakers. Below are a few I have looked at but am open to more suggestions.


Polk RTi A7
Polk RIT A9
Klipsch RF-82 (apparently extremly bright)
HTD Level 3
Wharfdale (which seem to be impossible to get here in the states)
Cerwin Vega XLS-15
EMP Tek E55Ti With E56Ci Center
Swan Diva 6.2 with Diva 5.2C Center

Edit: Added a the EMP and Swan diva to the list
Thank You for the assistance.

Weazy's Avatar Weazy 09:51 AM 02-21-2013
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 09:52 AM 02-21-2013
Well for one thing if your using this 70% for movies, you need to have a matching center. So you need to buy the front 3 speakers. Make sure to buy the center that is from the same company and model line as your floorstanders. Also try to get the center which has matching size drivers in as the floorstanders or at least the center that is supposed to go with them.
Weazy's Avatar Weazy 09:55 AM 02-21-2013
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp 12:25 PM 02-21-2013
Weazy and flickhtguru Thank You for the assist Weazy and flickhtguru. For the price these apparently are amazing, and am under budget enough to match with a 5.2c center channel speaker. Nice!
smasher50's Avatar smasher50 02:34 PM 02-21-2013
fwiw,take a look at the focal 814v's $800 at accessories4less
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp 08:31 AM 02-23-2013
The focals look like a very nice option as well. The one thing I do not like about the swans are the finish, the wife would likely approve a black speaker over a wood color finish.
sdg4vfx's Avatar sdg4vfx 03:02 PM 02-23-2013
The deal on the Focals at A4L - both the towers and the matching center for $1250 - is quite rare. That's a lot of speaker for the dollar.
wlhungdude's Avatar wlhungdude 10:36 PM 02-23-2013
not everyone has had a good experience with A4L. I may be ... no, I'm sure that I am in the minority, but I'd sooner drive down the road tossing dollar bills out my window than ever give them any more business. It'd be less hassle. Nothing against Focal at all.
sdg4vfx's Avatar sdg4vfx 02:23 AM 02-24-2013
Not that I'm pushing A4L - but if you ask, I think most people in the forums would say they have had positive experiences with them.

My genuine condolences to ^^^ that he had a bad experience. Nobody bats a 1000 ...
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 02:32 AM 02-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

not everyone has had a good experience with A4L. I may be ... no, I'm sure that I am in the minority, but I'd sooner drive down the road tossing dollar bills out my window than ever give them any more business. It'd be less hassle. Nothing against Focal at all.

The people that may have had problems with accessories4less were most likely buying refurb receivers. These Focal speakers are brand new with 5 year warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-716v-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-Gloss-Black-Pair/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCALCC814V/FOCAL-Chorus-CC814V-800V-Dual-6-Center-Speaker-Gloss-Black-Each/1.html

I wouldn't be concerned.
smasher50's Avatar smasher50 05:40 AM 02-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

not everyone has had a good experience with A4L. I may be ... no, I'm sure that I am in the minority, but I'd sooner drive down the road tossing dollar bills out my window than ever give them any more business. It'd be less hassle. Nothing against Focal at all.
fwiw, me and my dad had to return brand new onkyo avrs to best by over the past few years because of hdmi problems. and also purchaced a denon avr 791 from ac4l over 2 years ago and it still sounds great with no problems. my point is it does'nt matter where you by electronics they are the most likely purchace to have something wrong with them.you could purchace any piece of electronics from anystore in the world and can't assume nothing is going to be wrong with it.from tosters, tv's, washing machines to that avr.i bet best buy has more avrs returned than ac4l per volume sold.just my 2 cents
wlhungdude's Avatar wlhungdude 03:39 PM 02-24-2013
I can only vote with my $. I gave them a shot based on all the good reviews. I had a bad experience. I understand they had no control over the contents of a box THEY NEVER OPENED ! My problem with them is based on THEIR actions AFTER they were informed of the problem. They didn't try to make it right, to my satisfaction, IN MY OPINION.

If 99 out of 100 people have a good experience, does that make the 1 persons bad experience not valid? You can vote with YOUR $ however you want. I don't want anyone to have a bad experience... this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby. Best of luck to all, whatever your choice.
justindo's Avatar justindo 01:10 AM 02-25-2013
The Focals from Accessories4Less are excellent speakers for the money. I purchased the towers and center from them and am very pleased with the sound and build quality (made in France) for both music and movies. The arrived in perfect condition as well.
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp 10:41 AM 02-25-2013
All Thank You for the Assistance. I think everyone has an instance with an internet retailer or brick and mortar store that temporaily goes mentally insane on customer service. Although, it seems every time I got to BB my customer service expierence is always mind boggaling. As I've read through all of your recommendations I think I've narrowed it down to a couple which I will list below. I have decided to get a center channel speaker as well. As I dive neck deep into this i am mroe the over whelemed. I will not have a seperate amp to power them and will be using my Pioner Elite SC-05 to power them which is listed at 130W at 8 ohm per channel. So I'm trying to undertsand how that will effect these speakers as all of the listed spekaers bellow are 6 ohm except for the foclas. So the list is below along with some comments, thoughts comments and critisim are welcome.

Swan Diva 6.2 + Center $1088 6 ohm 200W
I have read really good reviews on these speakers the only cencern is the finish its brown. I'm also interesed on how these compare to the Arx A5.

EMP Tek E55Ti + Center $1245 6 ohm 200W
I guess I'm in the "old" mind set bigger is better more speakers is better. Ive also read good reviews on these but have some issues in the mid range which along with the highs are my biggest needs ebcause I have a dedicated "nice" subwoofer.

Focals 814V or 716V or 714V not really sure Ive seen what seems like the same model or close to it

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4917-focal-chorus-714v-tower-speakers-pr.aspx

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-716v-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-Gloss-Black-Pair/1.html#!specifications
smasher50's Avatar smasher50 03:25 PM 02-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3dp View Post

All Thank You for the Assistance. I think everyone has an instance with an internet retailer or brick and mortar store that temporaily goes mentally insane on customer service. Although, it seems every time I got to BB my customer service expierence is always mind boggaling. As I've read through all of your recommendations I think I've narrowed it down to a couple which I will list below. I have decided to get a center channel speaker as well. As I dive neck deep into this i am mroe the over whelemed. I will not have a seperate amp to power them and will be using my Pioner Elite SC-05 to power them which is listed at 130W at 8 ohm per channel. So I'm trying to undertsand how that will effect these speakers as all of the listed spekaers bellow are 6 ohm except for the foclas. So the list is below along with some comments, thoughts comments and critisim are welcome.

Swan Diva 6.2 + Center $1088 6 ohm 200W
I have read really good reviews on these speakers the only cencern is the finish its brown. I'm also interesed on how these compare to the Arx A5.

EMP Tek E55Ti + Center $1245 6 ohm 200W
I guess I'm in the "old" mind set bigger is better more speakers is better. Ive also read good reviews on these but have some issues in the mid range which along with the highs are my biggest needs ebcause I have a dedicated "nice" subwoofer.

Focals 814V or 716V or 714V not really sure Ive seen what seems like the same model or close to it

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4917-focal-chorus-714v-tower-speakers-pr.aspx

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-716v-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-Gloss-Black-Pair/1.html#!specifications
fwiw, the focal 814v is the same as the focal 716v but in gloss black. what i heard was supposedly they where made special for a certain store but they went under so the rest of stock is at accessories4less as a discountiued model
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp 02:29 PM 02-27-2013
Well after doing a lot of reading I think I am going to order the EMP Tek E55tis with matching large center. While the Focal's look like a great option the A4L situation brings a little concern to the table as you are not dealing directly with the compant, and it is ovbiously "old stock". Based on many reviews of both speakers either is ovbiously a great choice.

Additionally, I am looking at doing some DIY speaker wire, what size braided sheeth do I need for 12 AWG wire? Lookins at the Techflex PET sheething.

Any recommendations on a 3 or stereo channel amp to run the EMPs on?
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 02:38 PM 02-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3dp View Post

Well after doing a lot of reading I think I am going to order the EMP Tek E55tis with matching large center. While the Focal's look like a great option the A4L situation brings a little concern to the table as you are not dealing directly with the compant, and it is ovbiously "old stock". Based on many reviews of both speakers either is ovbiously a great choice.

Additionally, I am looking at doing some DIY speaker wire, what size braided sheeth do I need for 12 AWG wire? Lookins at the Techflex PET sheething.

Any recommendations on a 3 or stereo channel amp to run the EMPs on?

You shouldn't have any issues with A4L if you needed to use your warranty. I'm sure it's still through Focal. Plenty of users here, including myself, have used A4L and have good things to say. The polyglass drivers used in the 814v are older, but they still make them so you shouldn't have an issue there. Either way will serve you well I'd assume. One user here has both and says they're almost neck and neck. He chose the e55ti over the 814v, but your ears may be different. Can't go wrong with the 30-day free trial from EMP though! Doesn't hurt to try them and if you don't like them, send them back and find something else

12awg is fine. I used Monoprice 12awg in-wall wire w/ techflex and Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs. If you search the thread on "DIY cables..." in this speaker forum, you'll see my post and what I used. It shouldn't be too many pages back so it'll be easy to find. Maybe 3-4 pages back in the thread

Can't help you with amps. Sorry.
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp 03:45 PM 02-27-2013
ousooner thanks for the comments, that was part of the plan as well having the ability to test out the EMPs and if I did not like them I could go with the focal's.I was planning on ordering the wire from monoprice just the standard wire not the in-wall application or should I get the in-wall? What size techflex did you go with to cover the 12AWG Wire 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" I was looking through some of the posts but got lost in the sauce when looking for the specific size used but saw the cable pants idea which I liked.
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp 11:45 AM 03-05-2013
Can I get a little input on if my Pioneer Elite SC-05 will be enough power for the EMP TEK E55ti's or should I get a sepearte amp? the SC-05 is rated at 130W @ 8ohms. Thank You
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 03:50 PM 03-06-2013
That's plenty. You will rarely use 1/4 of that and if you ever needed that much it would be for very short, dynamic peaks. No worries...you'll be fine
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp 12:18 PM 03-07-2013
Well just pulled the trigger on the E55ti's E56Ci Center and E5Bi book shelfs with wall mounts. Daren over at EMP was nice enough to give me a military discount. I would love to do business with these guys again.
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 12:28 PM 03-07-2013
Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully you'll like them! That's awesome they gave a military discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3dp View Post

EMP Tek E55Ti + Center $1245 6 ohm 200W
I guess I'm in the "old" mind set bigger is better more speakers is better. Ive also read good reviews on these but have some issues in the mid range which along with the highs are my biggest needs ebcause I have a dedicated "nice" subwoofer.

I saw this just now and wanted to point out the e55 has nothing wrong with the midrange. The midrange is what constantly surprises me from these. I'm a midrange snob so that's my #1 goal. Highs could use a db on tweeter, but they're still just fine. PERFECT with Audyssey/any EQ as it'll likely bring them up a tad unless your room is smaller.
Up
Mobile  Desktop