AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Watching 7.1 movies on a 5.1 setup (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1459620-watching-7-1-movies-5-1-setup.html)

Kain 02-22-2013 03:50 AM

Do you miss a lot of the effect? I know you don't miss any actual sound but what about the "effect"?

sdurani 02-22-2013 08:35 AM

Since one pair of surrounds cannot be in two places at the same time (at your sides and behind you, simultaneously), the main things you will miss are wrap-around envelopment and rear-vs-side directionality in the surround field.

However, that isn't an excuse to shoe-horn a 7.1 set-up into a situation where it can't be done properly, like if your seating is at or near the back wall. I would rather have a properly done 5.1 set-up than a poorly done 7.1 layout.

eljaycanuck 02-22-2013 08:39 AM

I ran 7.1 for a while and it did provide a more "enveloping" sound. I thought I'd miss it when I went back to 5.1...but I don't.

pokekevin 02-22-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I ran 7.1 for a while and it did provide a more "enveloping" sound. I thought I'd miss it when I went back to 5.1...but I don't.

How could you not miss 7.1! Why did you go back to 5.1? Change in room lay out?

eljaycanuck 02-22-2013 10:05 AM

Long story, but since you asked... wink.gif

The placement of the ADPs was constrained by the way the wall opens out on the left side of the room. The pillar was the only place I could really mount the left speaker. As a result, it placed the ADPs just slightly forward of my seating position. I didn't want to move the seats any farther forward because they would have been a bit too close to the screen for my liking. When one of the ADPs developed a problem with one of its midrange drivers, I decided to sell off the speakers "as is" rather than sink a couple hundred into replacing the driver.

7.1 was pretty cool but, honestly, I don't miss it. I get very satisfying sound from my 5.1 set-up. biggrin.gif

pokekevin 02-24-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Since one pair of surrounds cannot be in two places at the same time (at your sides and behind you, simultaneously), the main things you will miss are wrap-around envelopment and rear-vs-side directionality in the surround field.

However, that isn't an excuse to shoe-horn a 7.1 set-up into a situation where it can't be done properly, like if your seating is at or near the back wall. I would rather have a properly done 5.1 set-up than a poorly done 7.1 layout.

I agree. I tried to shove 7.1 into my room and in the end went back to a proper 5.1 set up.

skidog 02-25-2013 05:23 AM

So how many feet behind the seating area is recommended for the rear speakers?