Episode 500 Series Speaker Bar Vs. Episode 700 Series Tower Speakers - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Should I buy the 500 series setup or the 300, 500, 700 setup?
Sound Bar 500 Setup 0 0%
300, 500, 700 Setup 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very new to the forum and am have gotten a quote to install a mid-line AV system in my new home.

The basement area is a18x36 foot rectangle space with the left side of the space being a 5.1 system (15x18 area) and the right side is a bar area.

The first setup the installer has given me is to have an Episode 500 Series 3-Channel Passive Sound bar (the 55" or larger TV version)
Then for the surrounds would be the 500 Series 6.5in In ceiling speakers with a Martin Logan Dynamo700 sub.

The second setup is for 2-Episode 700 Series tower speakers with a 300 Series LCR medium on-wall center channel and the 500's in the rear again. Should I be concerned with mixing 300, 500 and 700 level speakers?

I listen to a lot of music and will utilize the area for my main movie viewing room as well and had concerns with the separation of sound from the bar as well as how good it would sound for music.

I am looking for opinions on the setup or if you have ever heard the new Large 500 series sound bar in person and if it is has the stunning sound it claims sound for the size. Also asking if the visual cleanliness of the sound bar is worth giving up the sound quality of the full size speakers in this situation?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderV View Post

I am very new to the forum and am have gotten a quote to install a mid-line AV system in my new home.

The basement area is a18x36 foot rectangle space with the left side of the space being a 5.1 system (15x18 area) and the right side is a bar area.

The first setup the installer has given me is to have an Episode 500 Series 3-Channel Passive Sound bar (the 55" or larger TV version)
Then for the surrounds would be the 500 Series 6.5in In ceiling speakers with a Martin Logan Dynamo700 sub.

The second setup is for 2-Episode 700 Series tower speakers with a 300 Series LCR medium on-wall center channel and the 500's in the rear again. Should I be concerned with mixing 300, 500 and 700 level speakers?

I listen to a lot of music and will utilize the area for my main movie viewing room as well and had concerns with the separation of sound from the bar as well as how good it would sound for music.

I am looking for opinions on the setup or if you have ever heard the new Large 500 series sound bar in person and if it is has the stunning sound it claims sound for the size. Also asking if the visual cleanliness of the sound bar is worth giving up the sound quality of the full size speakers in this situation?

Thanks!

I would stay away from the sound bar. That seems like a compromised solution from the start.

The towers would be my choice vs the soundbar, is there no way to get the matching 700 series center channel in you setup?

If not, I would contact Episode and ask if their 700 series tower and 300 series on-wall center are timbre matched. If you care more about aesthetics, Episode also makes some great in-wall speakers that would be better than a sound bar.

Also, have you gotten more bids or listened to any of these speakers before you buy them? I suspect you are spending a lot of money here. I always get at least 3 bids on any work and understand my options. Episode are good speakers, but there are tons of options out there.

Also, what about a subwoofer?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

This is what I was thinking as well... As big as the room is and as much as I'm going to be spending I don't want to spend over $700 on a sound bar.

I just spoke to Episode and they strongly recommended me not mixing the 300, 500 and 700 together as the 700's have a catenary tweeter which is not timbre matched to the 300 or 500 also the drivers are paper molded and the 300 and 500 are polypropylene. Looks like this whole idea is out the window....

I am matching them to a Martin Logan Dynamo 700 Subwoofer which I love the sound of and I will be getting about 50% off list on.

While we are on the subject of other options do you have any recommendations for my situation? I would prefer to have tower speakers for L&R and a wall mountable center channel with in ceiling rear speakers. They will all be powered by a Denon AVR-2113Ci.

Oh and on the multiple quote issue, I am friends with the installer and the dealer so they have showed me the deal I am getting based on the margin... I usually always have 3 quotes provided but I feel pretty confident he isn't raking me over the coals. I do very much appreciate the advice and will hopefully end up with an amazing system!
post #4 of 6 Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderV View Post

This is what I was thinking as well... As big as the room is and as much as I'm going to be spending I don't want to spend over $700 on a sound bar.

I just spoke to Episode and they strongly recommended me not mixing the 300, 500 and 700 together as the 700's have a catenary tweeter which is not timbre matched to the 300 or 500 also the drivers are paper molded and the 300 and 500 are polypropylene. Looks like this whole idea is out the window....

I think you have your answer then smile.gif And I know the installer is your friend, but the fact that he does this for a living and recommended that solution would give me some pause for concern.
Quote:
I am matching them to a Martin Logan Dynamo 700 Subwoofer which I love the sound of and I will be getting about 50% off list on.

Just wanted to make sure you had a sub smile.gif
Quote:
While we are on the subject of other options do you have any recommendations for my situation? I would prefer to have tower speakers for L&R and a wall mountable center channel with in ceiling rear speakers. They will all be powered by a Denon AVR-2113Ci.

Oh and on the multiple quote issue, I am friends with the installer and the dealer so they have showed me the deal I am getting based on the margin... I usually always have 3 quotes provided but I feel pretty confident he isn't raking me over the coals. I do very much appreciate the advice and will hopefully end up with an amazing system!

Too be frank, I am not a fan of mixing in-room and on-wall speakers. They (on-wall) tend to be the worst compromise between an in-room speaker and an in-wall speaker. If you cannot make the in-room 700 center work, I would look into in-wall center options, or even an all in-wall solution.

As for other options I would look around locally and audition KEF, PSB, B&W, Paradigm, Deftech, Triad, and Goldenear. If you are open to an internet direct company, Ascend, Aperion, and SVS are all good options.

Aperion offers a free in-home trial on there speakers. Free shipping both ways.

Something like this:
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/verus-family
post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have only heard the Episodes in my fathers house and haven't auditioned any other brands so its obviously I'm my best interest to listen to a few other options before settling on episodes. I appreciate all the advice and will make sure to stay away from the on wall and bar speakers.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have only heard the Episodes in my fathers house and haven't auditioned any other brands so its obviously I'm my best interest to listen to a few other options before settling on episodes. I appreciate all the advice and will make sure to stay away from the on wall and bar speakers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page