will "nearfield monitors" work well in a larger room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We're going to be moving soon into temporary digs while our home undergoes a major structural and interior renovation. I'm not interested in bringing a full 5.1 HT rig for the rental place, given that the space will prolly not permit it, so I'm bringing 2 TVs (1 for bedroom, and one for den/living room - whereever it ends up) and my sub from the den. I'm planning on doing my radio/music listening off my iphone. I have an "i-clock radio". I have been looking for either a sound bar that has a sub-out (not wireless) or powered monitors - basically, just something that will both do the TV and some music enough in a moderate-sized room.

It seems that the halfway decent sound bars START at 300-400... and go up from there. I really don't care about simulated surround processing (my toshiba tv has a "wide" option that'll work well enough) and music reproduction is equally important. I've really only started considering s-bars over the last couple of days, but after researching the options, i keep coming back to my original choice - the PSB Alpha PS1 powered monitors. i've owned PSB bookshelves before and was quite hapy with them.

Here's a look: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/powered-speakers/Alpha-PS1-Powered-Speaker

The PSBs are 20W x 2, have a sub-out jack (which most, if not all" studio monitors" do NOT), can take RCA stereo lines from my tv and a mini-stereo-jack from my phone, and provide a USB power port for the phone. So all my input/output needs seem to be covered. And when we move back into our home, I can use them with my desktop computer.

My questions are as follows...

From what i've read, the PSBs ARE designed for near-field use. Will they, or any other "studio monitor" work in a larger space and still be "musical" (compared to your typical $200-$300 sound bars) and/or focused?

and given what is probably a more honest power rating and more likely better quality speaker components (as compared to your typical sound bar), should they still be able to fill a moderately sized room with a decent amount of volume?

I know many "pro monitors" sold at guitar center and the like have even more power and are better quality, but the sub-out jack is a big feature for me in terms of simplyfying my set-up in what IS a temporary situation. nonetheless, I'm certainly open to other suggestions. THANKS !!! wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone? smile.gif
post #3 of 3 Old 02-24-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
As the name implies near field monitors are intended for near field listening, generally at a distance of six feet or less. Studio monitors not labeled for near field use are pretty much not different from hi-fi/HT speakers, other than some being self-powered.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page