Research overload! Need help and opinions on new HT setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in the process of building my new Theater room. I had the room pre-wired for 5.1 and the projector when we had the house built 4 months ago. I already purchased the Denon 1713 as my AVR and the Klipsch RW-12d.

My biggest issue is that I think I have come to research overload on the rest of the speakers. I started off by going to BestBuy and fell in the love with the Martin Logan Motion 4’s and 8 for the center. They sounded so crisp compared to the Def Tech 800/1000’s that the guy had me listen to first. I also found Audioadvisor.com which sells the Motion 4 and 8 as factory refreshed for a lot less. I can get the Motion 4 for $170 each and the Motion 8 for $200 all with the full ML factory warranty. So I thought all was good. Then I made the mistake of jumping on here and reading post after post on all the different options in this price range. So now I am just not sure. It seems that there are a lot of options I can’t listen to locally like HTD which doesn’t help. Due to the way the room is setup, I can’t do towers so that started to limit my choices even more. I have looked at everything from HTD L2 and L3, Arx A1b, Cambridge Audio S30/50/20, BIC FH65B/LCR, Polk, Infiniti, NHT, etc. Like I said research overload!

So I guess the question is will any of the above options or any you may come up with end up being better than the Martin Logans? I am trying to spend less than $1500 for everything (not necessarily including the AVR/sub but that would be even better). I priced out the ML’s plus the Klipsch sub and AVR and it’s less than $1500. The room is 18x20 and open on the sides and they will be used 40% movies 10% music and 50% xbox. I also totally understand that speakers really come down to preference of sound but I am mainly asking for the best bang for the buck and also because most of these i cant hear in person. I don’t necessarily have to buy it all at once either. Truthfully, I have been considering just buying the fronts and center to start while I save up for the projector since I can just use them in my living room for now.

Any thoughts or help would greatly be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Your over thinking this... Of course, that is the pot calling the kettle black..because I also over think it.

1) If you really liked the speakers
2) They are in your budget range

Then don't over complicate it all... There are a million choices and you can get over whelmed.

No one can dictate what is good to your ears. There is always something "better" or something with more expensive componets that is touted as "better"...

Again...if you liked it and they are in your budget ...dont get confused...get the speakers you like at the lowest price you can.

Not to confuse you further but since you liked the Motion 4's and 8's there is a great great deal going on right now... Newegg has the ML 12 for 249.00. If you like the sound...these are a great deal. tongue.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981006&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3629892&SID=ih-ih
post #3 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Trust me, I have been overthinking this whole thing. LOL. I did see the Motion 12's but i cant do towers due to couch placement/PJ Screen and fear of children knocking one over. The right tower would be partially obstructed based on the measurements i have taken. Plus when i had them prewire the 5.1, i had the wire put 3/4 up the wall for satellites.

I guess its one of those things that since i cant hear some of these speakers such as the Cambridge S30's or the HTD's, it would be great to hear from people who may have heard them compared to the Motions. The S30's are great looking speakers and the larger woofer is what is making them attractive.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
If I took 20 people to a modern art exhibit ...and asked them all what they thought of the art... 14 people might hate it. Thinking their two year old could do better. 4 others may think its really very nice. 1 May like it allot. 1 may love it...and ran to his bank account to see if he could possibily afford it.

Those 14 people that hated it are all laughing at that 1 guy that loved it... What an idiot. Someone glued trash on a friggin piece of card board and called it art..and the guy is going to pay 20k for it!

But ya know what...if he can purchase it...every time he looks at that "stupid piece of trash" he is happy.... Who is right?

Your trying to reach a consensous that your liking "X" brand is "right" for cost / purpose / etc.

I am trying to tell you...you are right. You liked it...so go for it. If you were looking at speakers in the 20k range... I may advise more caution..or even the 2k range..but in this range. If you liked it...just find the lowest price and go for it!

ML has been in business a very long time... You are not the only guy that liked the modern art exhibit. Tons of people own and love the ML Motion series.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but a room that size would benefit from a second sub.

Lucky for you, $280 at newegg right now.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

1 sub will have to suffice for now.

So here is the price breakdown based on the best deals so far

Martin Logan
4 x Motion 4's and Motion 8 Center = $875

Cambridge Audio
4 x S30's and S50 Center = $637

The S30's have a slightly lower frequency range (55hz vs 70hz) but the ML's have a higher range at (25khz vs 20khz). Is this something that will make a huge difference? Has anyone listened or compared these two speakers
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page