New DefTechs 450 Disappointing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I enjoy watching older movies and listening to hip hop (weird combination right?). I figured it would be best to buy high quality 2.1 system, and worry about expanding int the future, but I don't feel anything more than a 2.1 is necessary at this point. I recently purchased some Deftech Studiomonitor 450's. Polk subwoofer 505, and an onkyo n616 receiver.

From all the hype I have heard about the deftechs and the price I paid for them, I expected to be blown away. I expected to hear sounds I don't normally hear being more pronounced, and noticeable. This has not been the case. In many cases I need to put my ear near the speakers to listen to it. Even when I tried playing music from CD's off my xbox, the sound was not what I would expect.

When I watch movies, it is similar. Ambient sounds and whispers are very difficult to hear. I am currently playing it off my high end laptop via HDMI. I am using MPC with Reclock audio renderer, and LAV decoders. This was per suggestions I researched online and my brother who is an audiophile. This has happened with multiple movie rips I have, 1080p blu rays for Ted, Raging Bull, Boogie NightsThere will be blood, Taxi Driver to name a few.

Has anyone experienced this with their Def-Techs SM 450s? Does anyone know how I can fix this. I have had the speakers since Mid December, but did not set them up until recently. I fear that my warranty is running out and would like to know what I can do to fix the problem.

Thanks,

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The SM 450's are a relatively small speaker so they aren't going to " rock the house " but you shouldn't have a problem hearing them, unless you are sitting 15 feet from them.

You could try hooking up a CD player directly to the Onkyo without going through the computer or xBox. The Onkyo should be able to deliver the power the SM 450's need especially in 2-channel mode. You'd want to set the receiver to a 2-channel mode instead of a surround mode anyway.

I have the newer SM55 ( same configuration as the SM450 ) and use them for 2-channel music when I don't want to fire up the big speakers and the amps. I don't have a problem listening to music in my dining room from where the SM55's are, but my receiver gives them roughly double the power of the 616 in 2-channel mode.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have the 450's and use them as surrounds. When I first got them I tested them as mains and no problems hearing them at all. I would question the laptop connection.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I would question the laptop connection too...when you said:I am using MPC with Reclock audio renderer, and LAV decoders. ..that might be where your problem lies...sometimes less is more...smile.gif

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #5 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

I would question the laptop connection too...when you said:I am using MPC with Reclock audio renderer, and LAV decoders. ..that might be where your problem lies...sometimes less is more...smile.gif

I see no problem with the decoders and software he is using. LAV Decoders are highly recommended by the HTPC users (same with MPC). The only thing that may be of the SLIGHTEST concern would be reclock since it changes the pitch of the audio I believe.

OP, how do you have your speakers set up? Are you using any sort of room correction? From the looks of it the NR616 is using Audyssey 2EQ.

I have a feeling maybe the speakers aren't properly set up.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #6 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Sounds to me like some surround mode is enabled and the proper audio is missing since you're only running two speakers. Kind of like having a 5.1 signal going to two speakers and not having the receiver setup correctly. You wouldn't be hearing the center channel dialogue as there is no center channel. So you'd be hearing what's supposed to come from the left and right speakers but no dialogue coming from them as It's trying to output from the missing center.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I have the def tech sm450s in a 2.1 music/tv set up...and I have no issues hearing dialogue or detail! It would appear there is some sort or processing issue going on, as suggested by others!
In fact, the speakers are clear and detailed, hit both the lows and highs well, and get plenty loud!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

So it is not the power that is a concern, I am in an apartment with an old neighbor. I still turn it up to a good volume. I don't have a CD player, but I assumed the Xbox would have more than enough capability to play it.

The issue arises even when I am not us MPC with the filters.
I am certain it is in stereo mode in my onkyo.

PokeKevin, what do you suggest I do to correct the problem
-I don't know what room correction is
-What can the eq do?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

what are the specs for your set up eli?
post #10 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRoofard View Post

-I don't know what room correction is

Your Onkyo should have come with a microphone. You use this microphone to set up your frequency response based on your room size and speaker placement in the room. Your user manual should be able to help you with running Audyssey. If there is a problem with speaker setup, you would know it right away when running Audyssey and finding out that there are test tones being pumped to non-existent speakers. Audyssey also sets the correct delay and gain based on location from the test mic.

I think 2EQ lets you sample two seat positions. The best way to sample with two mic locations is to place the mic about 18" to the left and right of your ACTUAL listening position if you are on a sofa or loveseat. Sampling one position is OK if there is only one seat in the room.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #11 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRoofard View Post

Hello,

I enjoy watching older movies and listening to hip hop (weird combination right?). I figured it would be best to buy high quality 2.1 system, and worry about expanding int the future, but I don't feel anything more than a 2.1 is necessary at this point. I recently purchased some Deftech Studiomonitor 450's. Polk subwoofer 505, and an onkyo n616 receiver.

From all the hype I have heard about the deftechs and the price I paid for them, I expected to be blown away. I expected to hear sounds I don't normally hear being more pronounced, and noticeable. This has not been the case. In many cases I need to put my ear near the speakers to listen to it. Even when I tried playing music from CD's off my xbox, the sound was not what I would expect.

When I watch movies, it is similar. Ambient sounds and whispers are very difficult to hear. I am currently playing it off my high end laptop via HDMI. I am using MPC with Reclock audio renderer, and LAV decoders. This was per suggestions I researched online and my brother who is an audiophile. This has happened with multiple movie rips I have, 1080p blu rays for Ted, Raging Bull, Boogie NightsThere will be blood, Taxi Driver to name a few.

Has anyone experienced this with their Def-Techs SM 450s? Does anyone know how I can fix this. I have had the speakers since Mid December, but did not set them up until recently. I fear that my warranty is running out and would like to know what I can do to fix the problem.

Thanks,

Richard

I think you might be better of with a AVR with Audyssey XT or XT32. Bass is tighter/more impact, voices are super clear, etc. I run Audyssey Flat and it pretty amazing. The SM450 with a good EQ on the sub should sound pretty good.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

I think you might be better of with a AVR with Audyssey XT or XT32. Bass is tighter/more impact, voices are super clear, etc. I run Audyssey Flat and it pretty amazing. The SM450 with a good EQ on the sub should sound pretty good.

I have read the Onkyo's are pretty good, are receivers that big of a difference when they are such a high level in model?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page