Want to match center and surrounds to my DefTech Mythos Ones. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I'm new to the forum! I have a pair of DefTech Mythos Ones I'd like to use as the foundation of a 5.1 home theater. Room is 14 x 15 x 8' and is located in a finished basement. I have the DefTech Prosub 800, which seems like plenty of sub, given the size of the room. I'm running this through a Denon 1909 AVR, which I plan on upgrading soon due to lack of 3D capability, and Epson 5010 projector. I was debating between the Mythos Seven and the Nine for the center channel and the Gem and the Gem XL for the surrounds. Keep in mind I plan on installing sound panels to optimize acoustics. So could I get away with the Mythos Seven with Gem surrounds, or should I go all in with the Nine and Gem XLs? Or are there other center and surround options I'm not considering? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Seriously, not everyone at once! wink.gif

After talking to DefTech, they recommend the Mythos Nine center with the Gem XL surrounds. But that is what I would expect them to say in recommending the better, more expensive speakers. They did say the Prosub 800 should be plenty for that size room. Any thoughts?
post #3 of 3 Old 02-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by agray88 View Post

Seriously, not everyone at once! wink.gif

After talking to DefTech, they recommend the Mythos Nine center with the Gem XL surrounds. But that is what I would expect them to say in recommending the better, more expensive speakers. They did say the Prosub 800 should be plenty for that size room. Any thoughts?

HT usually means you should sink your money into your center and your sub. You are happy with your sub...so go with the better center.

Just a rule of thumb that can be broken 10 ways but:

HT= Center and Sub (Most important)
Music 2.0 = L/R (sometimes sub depending on how low your L/R can go)
Mix HT / Music - Front sound stage L/C/R and Sub
HT + Multichannel sound = All are important

Again, exceptions to every rule like Phantom Center etc etc...but it is a decent rule of thumb to go by.

Also, you normally should stay within same family / brand of your front sound stage...
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page