MIght have to go inwalls... but need your help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We're in the process of buying a new home. Right now, we're looking at two options, one has an unfinished basement, so I can do what I want with it, but the other (and frankly, the better option in every other way but for the HT) does have a finished basement. The finished basement is set up in such a way that I really can't build a false wall to hide my Thiel MCS1's behind the AT screen. And I don't think I'll fit the Thiel's under the screen or on the side of it.. So, inwalls... always thought that would be too much of a compromise... What about the higher end ones? Any good options? Was looking at the Klipsch KL-7800's for fronts and probably the KS-7802 for surrounds... any experience with those? Any other options that I should consider? I'd like to stay around $3-4k for LCR+4 surrounds if at all possible. Already have all the electronics, subwoofers, etc. so that would be for speakers only.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Those look like pretty nice speakers. Horns are noted for their wide dispersion. I like in walls because they don't make the room look cluttered up with speakers. I built enclosures in the wall for my Paradigm SA-15 R's, surround an surround backs. They sound really good.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #3 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
How large is your room? I own the Deftech UIW RLS II's speakers and am very happy with them. Based on my research and experience with in-wall speakers I would recommend a speaker with either an engineered enclosure, or one that the manufacturer providers a backer box. This is to prevent in-wall sound loss and bleed through to other rooms.

Aside from Deftech I would also look into the Traid in-wall speakers (these would be my top choice, but will push the budget) as well as Episode:
http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/66/Episode-700-Series-Home-Theater-In-Wall-LCR-Speaker

I also really like RBH speakers as well and they offer backboxes with most of their in-walls:
http://www.rbhsound.com/inwall.php

I have my Deftech's behind an AT screen as well and it works very well. Make sure you get three matching vertical speakers and stay away from a horizontal center since it is behind the AT screen.

A quick pic of my speakers before the screen was installed:
post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The section of the room that would be used as a HT is 19x14, but it's open to a space that add that amount of space again. DefTech could absolutely be interesting... used to have a few sets of DefTech speakers. So, DefTech, Klipsch, Atlantic Technology, Triad, Paradigm, B&W... guess I need to start narrow down the list...

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #5 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojan View Post

The section of the room that would be used as a HT is 19x14, but it's open to a space that add that amount of space again. DefTech could absolutely be interesting... used to have a few sets of DefTech speakers. So, DefTech, Klipsch, Atlantic Technology, Triad, Paradigm, B&W... guess I need to start narrow down the list...

Seems like a good list smile.gif

I would throw in Episode as well. If you are looking for more of a musical speaker their ribbon tweeters in their 900 series are excellent.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page