New Headphones ~$100. Sennheiser HD280 Pro? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, I didn't see any mobile audio or headphone forums anywhere.

I'm looking to replace my headphones, Maxell NC-II with active noise cancelling which have developed a frayed wire near the noise cancelling battery box, and I am looking to upgrade to something a bit nicer. After a significant amount of research, I am strongly leaning towards the Sennheiser HD280 Pro. It is vaunted as an extremely accurate and flat headphone, which sounds perfect to me.

The headphones are used for a significant amount of critical listening in an environment with unfortunate background noise. They are also used for music creation, and for that reason I would like them to be as flat as possible, avoiding artificial boost of any frequency range. The flip side to this argument is that I love my music full of bass, I listen to a lot of electronica. I also particularly like clear and precise highs.

The sound of the HD280 Pro is often described as sterile and antiseptic, which means it might be perfect for flat response when creating music, but it might not be very lively when listening to relax or enjoy. I've also had V-MODA Crossfade LPs recommended to me, but they appear to be a bit bass heavy and more a stylish accessory than for accurate sound reproduction. Does anyone have any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM

Liked: 12
I have the HD280 Pros and they are accurate (ie FLAT frequency response), but without some EQ gain the bass sounds thin. Their overall sound is good, but not great. I would highly recommend saving up a few extra bucks and getting Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. They provide good ambient noise isolation, have excellent low frequency response and sound like much more expensive open back headphones. They also sound very good straight off of your phone or mp3 player. There are coiled and straight wire versions (they sound identical) personally I like the straight wire version. They are usually around $160, but B&H photo currently has them on sale for a great price. Check out the link below for some quality info about headphones, the site is excellent. Happy listening.

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/activity/dj-and-studio.php

Cheers, Joe
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I've read quite a bit on that site actually. Their review was one of the major ones to sway me towards the HD280 Pro. The ATH-M50 looks very good too. I know it's very difficult to grade headphones by statistics, but the graph for the ATH-M50 looks very similar to the HD280 Pro, a bit of boost to the low range and relatively little drop in the higher register. The Sennheiser HD 25-1-II looks very good too, but it looks a bit less rugged (I listen to headphones falling asleep and that usually involves laying on one ear), and they cords aren't replaceable (again, due to falling asleep with headphones on I rolled over my cord quite a few times and I'm sure that's why my current headphones have failed). Not to mention they're more expensive.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post

I have the HD280 Pros and they are accurate (ie FLAT frequency response), but without some EQ gain the bass sounds thin. Their overall sound is good, but not great. I would highly recommend saving up a few extra bucks and getting Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. They provide good ambient noise isolation, have excellent low frequency response and sound like much more expensive open back headphones. They also sound very good straight off of your phone or mp3 player. There are coiled and straight wire versions (they sound identical) personally I like the straight wire version. They are usually around $160, but B&H photo currently has them on sale for a great price. Check out the link below for some quality info about headphones, the site is excellent. Happy listening.

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/activity/dj-and-studio.php

Cheers, Joe
+1 ath-m50's

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #5 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another +1 for the ath-m50's... bought them on Amazon for $124 last week
post #6 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 647
I've seen a lot of praise for the KRK headphone series. I tried the KRK 6400s myself. Their sound signature wasn't for me (a little too neutral for me), but I could see how they would make excellent monitor headphones. If you are near a Guitar Center, you could buy them and return them if you don't like them.

I have a pair of ATH-M50s. If you can get them for around $120 or less, they are a good value. As others have pointed out, they do have a bit of boost on the low end.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

There doesn't seem to be anyplace nearby where I am going to be able to try any of these headphones on. The music store in town is tiny and apparently doesn't have a headphone display. I went to target and tried on a couple of headphones, Beats Studio and Skullcandy Hesh. The Beats didn't have the noise isolation I wanted, were too heavy, and cost way too much. The Scullcandy were a bit flat on the bass sections. I threw the Skullcandy, Sennheiser, and Audio Technical in this graph to try and map out what's been discussed thus far:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=1493

It would appear that the Sennheisers do have a bit of drop on either side of 100Hz, resulting in very neutral sound, but still sounding a bit flat. The Skullcandy has major drop below 100Hz, as well as bad mid and high range response. The Audio Technica are very similar to the Sennheisers, except they have a bit of boost down around 100Hz. One other factor that I am looking for is isolation, since when I fall asleep listening to music I have my wife right next to me, and she doesn't want to hear the music. The Sennheisers are a bit better than the Audio Technica, and both are worlds better than the Skullcandy.

If I was lucky, I could listen to the two side by side, but apparently I am not so lucky... *ponders*.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Order both the Senns and the ATHs off Amazon. Be sure to get it from Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon (not 3rd party seller/shippers), and you can RMA a pair painlessly. Cost you around $10 to ship a pair back.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 AM

Liked: 16
i got audio technica ATH m50 too. awesome headphone but can't find a 120 buck deal on amazon. i end up getting one on ebay for $141.00 new open box. no regrets!

most of my friends recommended the sony MDR 7506 $80. at amazon. but i based my decision mostly on reviews at amazon and audiophile forums. but i would love to get the sony too.

right now when my funds are low for a good sounding home theater, a HiFi headphone is the best alternative!

XIM edge, ps3, yamaha RX-A1000, adcom GFAii, polk SDA2a, 65" toshiba LCD......more and more to come.....work, work, work!!!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page