Pairing a center with Polk TSI300s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a pair of Polk Audio TSi300 speakers and an Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver and was going to use them with an existing center channel and subwoofer. I bought this (Sonax ML-3609) entertainment center because I thought I had the 18" wide Polk Audio CS1 center channel... unfortunately, I discovered that I actually have the CS2, which is way too big. /facepalm ... so now what?

The newer CS10 and CS20 center channels are also too big, but I see that Polk also has a much smaller TL3 as well as the CSR and CSM (although those two would be a very very tight fit). I mainly use this system for TV/Movies and based on the price of those speakers, I worry that I'd have a crappy center channel (a completely uneducated guess).

So here are my questions:
  • Am I completely mistaken about the quality of the TL3, CSR, or CSM (especially when compared to my CS2) and how well each would compliment the TSi300s?
  • Should I look for someone selling the CS1 still? I'd prefer to avoid this if the CS1 is not as good as the TL3, CSR, and/or CSM.
  • Should I look for a center channel made by another vendor? If so, any recommendations?
  • Should I bite the bullet and buy a different entertainment center? I "only" paid $220 for the stand... not the END of the world, but I would really prefer not to.

More info:
Currently, I have the CS2 sitting on the top of the entertainment center, but it looks hideous and when my new TV gets here this week, it would block the bottom of the screen. Mounting the new TV on the wall is sadly not an option because the wall does not have any studs. Hey, don't look at me like that, I didn't build it.
tongue.gif

I do not have rear surround speakers yet, but if I ever get them, they'll likely be Polk Audio OMW5 or OMW3s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 130
What I would do (and did) is build a shelf so you can mount your center above your TV.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

What I would do (and did) is build a shelf so you can mount your center above your TV.

I'm not sure I would like the look of that, but regardless of what I think, I'm sure she would not approve. smile.gif Do you have a picture?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Don't have a pic on me (at work), but from the front all you see is the speaker grill right on top of the TV bezel. From the side, it looks *a bit* uglier. biggrin.gif

I'm sure someone who has better woodworking skills than me (read: NONE) could make it look nicer, though.

There are shelves and mounts for center channels on top of flat panel TVs, just google Flat Panel Center Channel Mount.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

I found a local guy selling Monitor 70s along with a CS1. I bought 'em all and am VERY happy with it. Now I have much better front L/R speakers, a good center channel that fits perfectly, and my TSi300s serve as excellent surround speakers. Thanks for your help!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page