I need a serious advice about speakers under $2000... Ascend, Arx, Aperion any many more.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi guys...
After joining this forum couple weeks ago, all I am doing is reading and reading and having hard time to make up my mind.

Here are few facts:
- AV receiver Pioneer SC 1222K
- I also have Rythmik LV12R Direct Servo subwoofer

I want to build 3.1 or 3.0 system at this point and then add surround speakers (2 in the back) in future.

I want to stay under $2000 - thats a total maximum including Rythmik sub I already have. So $1500 for speakers. OR $2000 if I return Rythmik sub and get 3.0 system under $2000.

I do live in apartment complex. I know the walls are thin and U can hear thru them. I am not going to blast my system LOUD but during a day, I dont mind crank it up slightly, when watching some good movie or listen music. Here is my floor plan: (I am on 3rd floor and have hight ceilings):

I got the Rythmik LV12R without thinking/checking dimensions of it first! This thing is huge but sounds great. I am still able to RETURN IT, if I want but time is running.

With me living in apartment and having limited space, that sub is taking a lot of space, and for sure it took some space away from putting floor stand speaker there:

Also it is more powerful than I need, I think smile.gif

So I started looking into speakers which would work the best in my case.. I am considering few options:

1. return Rythmik sub and get set of floor stand or good bookshelves with stands 3.0 system without sub. That would free space for stand floor speakers and not over power with low bass from sub. That would be the $2000 option for set of 3 speakers.

2. keep Rythmik sub and add some good bookshelves speakers. that would be still 3.1 option with me having sub already.. Problem here is: where else I could move that sub to perform well and not take space for possible floor stand with speaker?Also, that would limit my budget down to $1500 since I wouldn't have $$$ refund for Rythmik sub. I could maybe stretch that up to ~$1650 if the option is good.

Now, would 3 x Ascend Sierra1 NrT work as option 1 (I also would need to add stands, since my bookshelves will be to small to fit them inside ?
would that give me enough bass sound to be happy while watching movies and not alert other neighbors?
Or should I keep rythmik sub and ad 3x Arx 1b speakers?

Or should I go with Aperions without Rythmik sub option and get floorstands and center?

Any advice welcome.

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Keep the Rythmik Subwoofer and go with 3x Arx A1b bookshelfs. I like tower speakers and own the Arx A5s and they have great bass but I couldn't do without a quality subwoofer. If I had the choice between towers only or bookshelfs and a subwoofer I would go the bookshelf and subwoofer route.

Bass wise the Arx A1b and Sierra bookshelfs would have the same bass output. Arx is described as very powerful bass for a small bookshelf. I'm partial to Arx speakers though and an owner so obviously I lean toward the Arx speakers.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/65546-arx-a1b-a2b-speaker-review.html
post #3 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Are you opposed to used? There is two different sets of LCR's JTR Triple 8ht's for sale in the classifieds. I've been researching different brands for months and months as I'm about to upgrade my LCR set up in my theater room and I have to say that after all of the research that I've done JTR speakers are a pretty amazing product.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449859/3-jtr-triple-8s-1-900-shipped-price-drop
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1459210/jtr-2012-triple-8-ht-lp-x3

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #4 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Liked: 21
^^^^^ very nice speakers but the low end bottoms out at 75HZ, meaning you DEFINITELY will need your Rythmik or equivalent sub for decent bass.........

If those shelves are adjustable, you could use either the ArxA1b's or Ascend Sierra-1's there.....Arxs are rear ported but you could plug them......would lose out on their excellent bass qualities, but the sub will take care of most of that............
post #5 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

^^^^^ very nice speakers but the low end bottoms out at 75HZ, meaning you DEFINITELY will need your Rythmik or equivalent sub for decent bass.........

If those shelves are adjustable, you could use either the ArxA1b's or Ascend Sierra-1's there.....Arxs are rear ported but you could plug them......would lose out on their excellent bass qualities, but the sub will take care of most of that............

These shelves ARE NOT adjustable (its cheap IKEA ;o) ) so.. I will get stands for my new speakers.. thats not an issue. I may have to find new place for rythmik sub.. if I get stands for speakers
Not sure if I could put it to left side agains this wall, instead of right corner where it is now?

Also, there is major price difference between Sierra's and Arx's..

post #6 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally between the Sierra's and the Arx's, I would go with the Sierra's. They have a long history of being amazing speakers.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #7 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Tekton is another very well spoken of ID speaker that would probably be worth taking a look at.
http://www.tektondesign.com/products.html

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #8 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Personally between the Sierra's and the Arx's, I would go with the Sierra's. They have a long history of being amazing speakers.

If the OP wants to go without subwoofer then yes go with the Sierra's. As the Sierras are 3x the price of the Arx A1bs so they really aren't in competition with each other, I myself would rather have a subwoofer.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 637
For movie watching, you will lose something if you get rid of the sub and use towers instead. I would go with the bookshelves.

post #10 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

For movie watching, you will lose something if you get rid of the sub and use towers instead. I would go with the bookshelves.

YES, more and more I read into it.. I'm setting myself for keeping that sub, since so far it worked really well and its great quality sound. Also I would have to loose around $100 for shipping fees.

So, lets say I have +/- $1500 for bookshelf's with stands and center channel.. which BRAND to go with?

I am so confused.. there are sooo many choices.

Right now I am going thru The Audio Insider Arx and Swan.. not sure whats better or newer technology..
post #11 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub4bearin View Post

YES, more and more I read into it.. I'm setting myself for keeping that sub, since so far it worked really well and its great quality sound. Also I would have to loose around $100 for shipping fees.

So, lets say I have +/- $1500 for bookshelf's with stands and center channel.. which BRAND to go with?

Right now I am going thru The Audio Insider Arx and Swan.. not sure whats better or newer technology..

I have the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs, and they do live up to their reputation. So I would assume that the rest of the Ascend line does as well.

Given how much you are investing in your front 3.0, pick your favorite two speakers from your research and order just the left/right pair of each. It would be worth the $30-$40 for return shipping to do an in home demo of two different ones and keep the ones you like. Not to mention, it's fun to do the comparison, a good part of the overall experience of building your new audio system. Just the front left/right pair will tell you what you need to know. Then order the matching center after you return the other pair.

Meanwhile, don't worry about "newer technology" for speakers. There's no significant advancement that outclassed speakers recently. Good speakers from 10 years ago are still good speakers today (and would still sound good).

post #12 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes most speakers don't use any kind of "new technology, but still sound good. XBL2 tech that the Arx uses has been around for about 10 yrs, Swan use basic tech thats been proven, Ascend 170/340 uses Audex "gel" woofers thats pretty much been around for 20 some years. But they all still sound good, its whether you like the sound signiture of each one.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 691
As someone mentioned earlier , tekton speakers are top notch and affordable . I just bought the Oriel 10 tower for 850 and they go down to 32 hz. At 98 db efficiency a decent receiver will go reference level. I got the pendragon centre which is another 800 which is slightly over your budget . My system plays huge sound and I am really happy. You could get the lore model with centre channel for 1500 shipped . The only downside to tekton is no free returns and orders take 4-5 weeks to get to you. My old lcr was b&w for 1500 and the tektons are a massive upgrade .
post #14 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 239
My top recommendation would be the Gallo Acoustics Classico speakers; a pair of CL-2 speakers for $800 plus the matching center speaker for $600.

They have a unique new type of tweeter (a patented Gallo design) that is just amazing in its sound quality and wide dispersion, plus some high-performance main drivers that are pretty impressive.

I have the CL-3 s and they are just simply awesome!

Home Theater did a review of a 5.1 system with these speakers, and they were very impressed.

Your subwoofer is excellent; don't get rid of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub4bearin View Post

post #15 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 18
How do the Arx A3 or A5's compare to the Sierra-1's ? Thanks!
post #16 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The Sierra 1s are a solid choice for sure. The Arx speakers are well under budget.

The Aperion Verus Grand are solid speakers that have a free 30 day trial (you pay no shipping even if you return them):
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/verus-family/verus-grand-bookshelf-speaker

These Deftech's are sold as well and under budget:
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-SM55-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B005XXMN6I/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1361848440&sr=1-3&keywords=definitive+technology

If I had to pick, I would be leaning towards the Sierras. Top of the budget.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
The Sierras would be nice for sure. You could also go with the Ascend towers and add the center channel later.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page