Wall Mounts for 20 pound speakers -- Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have my eye's on a pair of of 14 pound each speakers. They do have mount capabilties built in (two built in threaders)...

The company recommends the Omni 20 at about $85 dollars shipped (Ouch! for a set of 250 dollar speakers)

Seems Omni 20 is out of production and had very mixed reviews from other places.

So that brings me to Monoprice - Not great reviews there. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1082804&p_id=6839&seq=1&format=2

So that brings me to Peerless Universal Speaker Mount Spk 811 with mixed reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-Universal-Speaker-Mount-Spk/dp/B000FDWXWK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1LJDOQRQK6OBO&coliid=I6GS4RBDD70LH

I can go with the Pinpoint AM-40B Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker ..but boy they are ugly...

I searched the last hour plus... Seems we have tons of speaker makers out there...we need an ID company to start making high quality wall and ceiling mounts!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Liked: 17
I agree there really is not much of a choice. And the choices that are available are rather weak. Which speakers are you speaking of? The omni 20's can hold well if slightly modified. A trip to your local hardware /home Depot /Lowes/etc...and about $5 (if you already have some tools) makes it a much less stressful install wink.gif
post #3 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I read on Amazon about the Omni 20 and changing out the nut from a allen to a hex...but these things are still about 85 dollars...and then I need to modify them. Since they are out of production almost no one has them any more either...

I guess I can try the Monoprice ..its the shipping that kills you though...bad reviews overall and not pretty..plus like 16 dollars shipping on a 16 dollar item.

I am looking at the Ascend 170 SE and I did post on the Ascend forum before I came here...

Paying 1/3 of the speaker cost just to hang them...makes me want to cry.
post #4 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM

I felt the same way I can relate. I thought that other than building something myself and for my application it was my only path. Have you thought about building shelves yourself? Are you handy
post #5 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Stay far away from the Monoprice ones, I have tried those and they are junk, I was not able to get them to hold their rated capacity. The AM40 Pinpoints work well, although if you are angling your speakers downward you will want to use the screw holes, so you still may need to drill into them. There are these Videosecu mounts, which are really just rebadged AM40s which cost a bit less. I have had success with these too. I don't think they look that bad. Trust me, whatever 15 lbs speaker you are using with them will be large enough to draw a lot more attention than the mount itself. What speaker are you contemplating using with the mounts? Since you may need to drill into the speaker to use with most of these mounts, you may not want to get expensive speakers.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM

The cbm's and htm's have predrilled inserts ready to accept the plates that come with the omni 20's from ascend. Note: from what I've been told not all omni 20 packs come with the needed plates for ascends cbm/htm series
post #7 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think I will go with the AM40 Pinpoints if I can not find something better... If I ever want to switch out my speakers this will let me do it...the Omni Mounts would make that difficult.

I know one person reported having good luck with this instead of drilling...from what I have read most people dont tend to drill into their speakers even if they need some downward angle?

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-Reusable-Adhesive/dp/B001FGLX72/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1LJDOQRQK6OBO&coliid=I2LV7RDTIIIU00

A little worried the Blu Tack will react with my speaker finish and melt it...seen stuff like that happen before..but supposedly he used it fine.

Seriously though... I want to run out and fill this niche... Everyone wants to hang stuff on walls today...and there are almost no options for mounts over 10 pounds... Makes you go ...humm.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Smart choice especially if you do decide to change speakers.

Yup I agree
post #9 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post

I felt the same way I can relate. I thought that other than building something myself and for my application it was my only path. Have you thought about building shelves yourself? Are you handy

I can build a shelf...its not that big of deal. Then I would have to worry about sound isolation and making sure I do something there... right?

And a shelf is bound to be even more oogly and a sore thumb..but may consider it since hardware is 20 bucks from home depot...cant really angle or do anything though..totally fixed. Still very reluctantly leaning to the Pinpoint.
ultimaonliner likes this.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to use shelfs, the pinpoints are much better because you can adjust tilt- that may be important depending on your distance from the speaker. There are a lot of options to make shelfs look nice though. With the Pinpoints, you may not have to drill, but I have used several speakers with them, I have found that speakers with more extensive depth weren't held as firmly with the clamps alone if you wanted to tilt them downward. Again, if you decide on the Pinpoint mounts, take a look at that link I posted to the Videosecu mounts, they are nearly the same exact mounts, just being sold under a different name and $20 cheaper.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am looking at the Videosecu mounts ...one two reviews say these are not as good as the Pinpoints quality wise. I do see the clamps have a long cut out..vs the Pinpoints.

I am all for saving 20 bucks plus... Anyone else use these and like them?
post #12 of 27 Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I have used them both, I can tell you the differences are minute. The differences are the Pinpoints uses 4 screw holes to drill into the stud as opposed to the Videosecu's 3, but seriously the screws are long, so the hold is so strong you do not need 4 holes at all. The Videosecu also comes with anchors which allows you to mount in concrete walls, I don't think the AM40s did. Also, the Videosecu's have cut out slots on the side in case you want to add a security strap. This might be beneficial to you if you want a better hold on the speaker without drilling into it, but the proper strap has to be ordered separately, although you could probably use any nylon strap and buckle from a hardware or camping store. Aside from that, the parts are identical. All in all, I would prefer the Videosecu mounts for the security strap slots, even if they were equally priced. The build quality and parts quality is the same.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Videosecu it is then... I really really really don't want to screw into my speakers though. We should only be talking 20 degree or so angle downward.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 27
If you drive screws into your new speakers, i'm not going to respond to your posts anymore!! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
post #15 of 27 Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone think these will work so I don't need to put a screw in my nice new speakers?

Blu-Tack does mention it is for speaker use...but heck I could mention I am for use by playmate of the year too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FGLX72/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=office-products
http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-88111-Museum-Putty-Neutral/dp/B0002VA9NA/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
post #16 of 27 Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #17 of 27 Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Videosecu mounts now down to $25 shipped with Amazon Prime! That is a terrific deal for a very solid set of mounts.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I use the Videosecu mounts with 17lbs bookshelves mounted high and angled down toward the listening position for PLiiz heights. No complaints here....the provided mounting hardware stinks but that's not a big deal. The mounts are well made and sturdy. I'm confident enough in their quality and application that I did not feel the need to screw into or otherwise secure the speaker beyond on the standard clamp/rubber strip combo.

Avarice
post #19 of 27 Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Holy Crap! I am on the phone now with Amazon. That is a super terrific awesome price! Wow!
post #20 of 27 Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bought a 2nd set just in case...great price, lol.

Avarice
post #21 of 27 Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 10
I'm glad this question came up. I am entering baby-proofing/child-proofing mode and my Paradigm Mini Monitors on stands are just waiting to fall. Hell, the dog's tail is risky!

Anyway, thanks to all for the great info. I'll be trying out the Videosecu mounts in drywall with good, strong anchors found in another thread here at AVS.

Any update from the OP on how this went?
post #22 of 27 Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegrover View Post

I'm glad this question came up. I am entering baby-proofing/child-proofing mode and my Paradigm Mini Monitors on stands are just waiting to fall. Hell, the dog's tail is risky!

Anyway, thanks to all for the great info. I'll be trying out the Videosecu mounts in drywall with good, strong anchors found in another thread here at AVS.

Any update from the OP on how this went?

Yep...I have owned the stands for about 3 weeks now. They went up with no problems. Rock solid. Would buy again for sure. No regrets.

With the Blue Backer and the side mounts they stay in place just fine at a 20 degree down angel as well.
post #23 of 27 Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
Great to know, thanks! Amazon order placed...
post #24 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey guys, regarding the videosecu mount...

I want to place the mounts on the side wall at the front (to avoid attaching through the drapes). Can the videosecu base freely rotate up to 90 degrees so the speaker faces forward parallel to the side wall? I'll be toeing in the speakers - but I want to know the limits of this mount.

This is the one we're talking about right?
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i
post #25 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Keith, yes, the VideoSecu mounts can be rotated to face the speaker parallel with the wall. And yes, that is the mount being discussed.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For the record I'm planning to use this mount for a couple B&W DM602 S2's (19"h x 9"w x 12"d) weighing in at 22lbs. Likely be a couple months before installation.

Thanks shady.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
For a speaker with mounting holes in the back that need to be mounted flat on the wall, a few dollars and french cleats work great:

Several places have very affordable slim metal versions of this.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page