Need help with my home theater speak setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
htuser999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am a novice home theater user and had a couple of questions related to the speakers installation and set up.

I am using a Denon 3808CI receiver and plan to connect to Infinity speakers. I have two possible configurations:
6 Infinity (floor standing) P363 and Infinity PC351 for center channel.
or
2 Infinity (floor standing) P363 for front speakers, Infinity PC351 for center channel and Infinity P163BK for surround and rear speakers.

I intend to get a Hsu Subwoofer.

Can you please advice on any pros and cons of the above possible combinations?

Also,
Is it true that I should have the speaker cables having identical length (say for two front speakers) even though the speakers are not at the same distance from the receiver?
What kind of cable should I be using for these speakers?
I had a basic question about banana plugs (I've never used them before). What kind of banana plugs should I be using for the speakers and the receiver?

I would highly appreciate any response from the experts.

Thanks a lot.
htuser999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
jevans64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I generally use the same-length cable for the corresponding speaker pair, like Left/Right, Surround Left/Right, etc. I don't think it matters all that much since Audyssey will set up your delays accordingly.

As far as cables, there is a thread on how to make your own cables. You can also buy ready-made cables from Monoprice, Parts Express, or Blue Jeans Cable.

You can terminate with Monoprice banana plugs, but I think Nakamichi or GLS Audio bananas are better quality.

I don't have Infinity speakers, so I cannot comment on them. As a general rule, I usually recommend using a similar driver configuration for the Left/Center/Right speakers. Looks like the PC351 is the best option you have with the P363 even though it is .75, 3.0, 5.25 vs. .75, 4.0, 6.5.

I have a 5308ci. Beauty of the 3808ci is that you can add an external amp if you need more power.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
jevans64 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by htuser999 View Post

Is it true that I should have the speaker cables having identical length (say for two front speakers) even though the speakers are not at the same distance from the receiver?
The speed of an electron wave through wire is roughly 680 million feet per second. eek.gif I wouldn't worry about getting the wires the same length,
Quote:
What kind of cable should I be using for these speakers?
Copper speaker wire, from the least expensive source. Use this to determine the gauge you need:
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf
Quote:
I had a basic question about banana plugs (I've never used them before). What kind of banana plugs should I be using for the speakers and the receiver?
They're optional, there's no need to use them at all. If you want them get them from the same place as the cable, don't pay more than four dollars apiece.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
htuser999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

I generally use the same-length cable for the corresponding speaker pair, like Left/Right, Surround Left/Right, etc. I don't think it matters all that much since Audyssey will set up your delays accordingly.

As far as cables, there is a thread on how to make your own cables. You can also buy ready-made cables from Monoprice, Parts Express, or Blue Jeans Cable.

You can terminate with Monoprice banana plugs, but I think Nakamichi or GLS Audio bananas are better quality.

I don't have Infinity speakers, so I cannot comment on them. As a general rule, I usually recommend using a similar driver configuration for the Left/Center/Right speakers. Looks like the PC351 is the best option you have with the P363 even though it is .75, 3.0, 5.25 vs. .75, 4.0, 6.5.

I have a 5308ci. Beauty of the 3808ci is that you can add an external amp if you need more power.

Thanks for your response.

Sorry if its a dumb question, but I didn't understand the numbers (.75, 3.0, 5.25 vs. .75, 4.0, 6.5) in your response.

So, in your opinion, when using P363s, would I need an external amp? If so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks again.
htuser999 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,562
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Those numbers are driver sizes, but I think the important thing is that the tweeters match.
And my guess is that the p363 would be driven by most decent avr!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
htuser999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan to use Denon 3808CI.
htuser999 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off