Definitive Technology UIW RLS III Fronts - which center/surrounds should I choose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys,

Initially, I chose 6x Polk RC85i's for front, side, and rear speakers and 1x Polk 255c-RT as the center in a 7.1 surround setting.

I've finally decided on going with Def Tech UIW RLS III In-Wall LF/RF with an Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR. Now I'm looking for a good center speaker to solidify the fronts. The center doesn't have to be in wall but I'd like to stay within a budget of $500 MSRP. From most of what I've read, I think it's best to stay with the same brand on the Left/Right/Center speakers. Thus, I'm interested in the Def Techs DI 5.5LCR and 6.6LCR but not sure if it's better to stay in-wall or out on a center speaker.

Also looking for surround speakers. I took a gander at the Def Tech UIW RSS III for the sides and the UIW BP/A for the rears. Are they worth the price?

I'm willing to mix and match on the side/rears so if there are better/cheaper alternatives, I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks for your time!

ZT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The best match for a center is a RLS III that is turned horizontal (if you can't fit it vertically). Otherwise I would give Deftech a call and see what center they recommend. If your wall is not load bearing, this should be pretty straightforward to install. If it is load bearing you will want a contractor to build proper headers.

I personally think the RLS III SS series are great surrounds but if you need to save some cash the BP/A's are solid for side surrounds and then go with something like this for rears:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-55

I would go with monopole speakers for rears vs bipole if you can.

If you want to save a little money on the rear's the UIW-65's are $289 for a pair here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-UIW-65-In-Wall-Loudspeaker-BBUBOC-/170528657004?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item27b44cce6c

I have bought three pairs of speakers from the seller and they are pristine.
post #3 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

ack_bk,

Thanks for the reply. There's no issue mounting the center UIW RLS III vertically or horizontally. Guess it's just a matter of preference or are there pros/cons either way?

The side surrounds will be in-ceiling, not sure if that makes a difference with the BP/A's or not.

The rears will be in the wall. I took a look at the UIW-65's for $289. Same seller has the UIW-55's for $239. Will the 1" size make a $50 difference?

How about HSU's In-Wall Speakers for sides/rears? They're comparable in price and the specs aren't bad either....

Thanks again!

ZT
post #4 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbnc2012 View Post

ack_bk,

Thanks for the reply. There's no issue mounting the center UIW RLS III vertically or horizontally. Guess it's just a matter of preference or are there pros/cons either way?

The side surrounds will be in-ceiling, not sure if that makes a difference with the BP/A's or not.

The rears will be in the wall. I took a look at the UIW-65's for $289. Same seller has the UIW-55's for $239. Will the 1" size make a $50 difference?

How about HSU's In-Wall Speakers for sides/rears? They're comparable in price and the specs aren't bad either....

Thanks again!

ZT

Vertical is actually preferred for the center channel:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

You want the tweeter about ear level when seated for all three front speakers.

I am actually using the UIW RSS III in-ceiling surrounds and am very happy with them. I think the BP/A's would work, but the UIW RSS III's might be preferred in the ceiling.

I doubt you will notice much difference between the UIW 55's and 65's. The rears are mostly for ambient sound and you wont need them to play too low. So flip a coin smile.gif

For those you want the tweeter at about ear level when standing (or about 2' above the seated position).

The HSU's would probably work, but at the price difference you might as well stick with Deftech so everything is timbre matched.

What sub do you have?
post #5 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... I guess I could only do vertical if I did a projection mount rather than a big screen TV. And I guess even then, it'd take a special screen that wouldn't block the audio. Still undecided on which route to take video-wise.

I appreciate your advice. I'll definitely look more into the Def Techs! As for the sub, it's a Polk Pro DSW 550wi. Got a decent deal on it, ($250 new). Unsure how it sounds though. I've noticed that lots of folks on here like the VSU and SVS subs.

I'll just hook mine up, see how it sounds, and go from there.

Which sub(s) are you running?

ZT
post #6 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm... I guess I could only do vertical if I did a projection mount rather than a big screen TV. And I guess even then, it'd take a special screen that wouldn't block the audio. Still undecided on which route to take video-wise.

I appreciate your advice. I'll definitely look more into the Def Techs! As for the sub, it's a Polk Pro DSW 550wi. Got a decent deal on it, ($250 new). Unsure how it sounds though. I've noticed that lots of folks on here like the VSU and SVS subs.

I'll just hook mine up, see how it sounds, and go from there.

Which sub(s) are you running?

ZT

I highly recommend the projector and screen if you have good light control in the room. It is so much more immersive, and the technology has advanced while the costs have dropped. I am using a 3D 1080p projector and an acoustically transparent screen:

Pres-creen:

Post-screen:

For an AT screen, good projector, mount, etc you are looking at around $2K. Less than $1700 or so if you go with a non-3D projector. For reference that is a 125" diagonal screen.

For subs I went DIY and built four sealed 15" subs. I did use an Hsu VTF-15H sub for awhile and it was solid. I actually owned the Polk sub you have and it is decent. It should get you by until you can upgrade later on. Just beware, this is an expensive habit!
bgbnc2012 likes this.
post #7 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! That's quite impressive! Great looking setup you have there! Roughly $2K on the video setup huh? That's $3K less than the what I was planning on spending on the TV alone!

How tall is your ceiling? That may be my only drawback. I'll have somewhere between 8-9 ft ceilings so it'll be interesting to see how big I can go w/the screen. And projectors... that's a whole 'nother beast! I've got a lot to learn about those things. The lumens, the best brands, the throw ratios... all that jazz.

If it turns out I can go that route, it'll definitely be 1080P with 3D. And I'll have controlled lighting so that's a plus at least.

Haha. You're right about this being expensive. I'm merely just getting my feet wet and am all kinds of giddy. Ridiculous, I tell ya.

I appreciate your help! And thanks for loading up those pictures... that's jam up!

ZT
post #8 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! That's quite impressive! Great looking setup you have there! Roughly $2K on the video setup huh? That's $3K less than the what I was planning on spending on the TV alone!

How tall is your ceiling? That may be my only drawback. I'll have somewhere between 8-9 ft ceilings so it'll be interesting to see how big I can go w/the screen. And projectors... that's a whole 'nother beast! I've got a lot to learn about those things. The lumens, the best brands, the throw ratios... all that jazz.

If it turns out I can go that route, it'll definitely be 1080P with 3D. And I'll have controlled lighting so that's a plus at least.

Haha. You're right about this being expensive. I'm merely just getting my feet wet and am all kinds of giddy. Ridiculous, I tell ya.

I appreciate your help! And thanks for loading up those pictures... that's jam up!

ZT

My ceiling is 8ft. My projector has lens shift which is really nice to have. If you were going to spend a little more this projector would be the one I would recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W7000-300-Inches-Quality-Projection/dp/B006HIKIKQ

Perfect 3D. Plenty of lumens and lens shift. Awesome picture. If I were in the market now, I would buy this one, it had a rough start but BenQ got the issues fixed with the latest firmware. But yes, definitely read up. I like this site:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/

I have the Acer 9500 which I have been happy with, but if I were buying now, I would go with the BenQ. BenQ recently released this cheaper 3D 1080p model which is really solid as well:
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1070-Theater-Projector-Silver/dp/B00A2T6X0K

Feel free to PM me with questions.
post #9 of 49 Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning,

Thanks for the links on the projectors. BenQ is one I've heard a good bit about. I can handle those prices as well.

How far is your projector mounted from your screen? Just trying to get a general idea of the screen size I can go with.

I just purchased 2x UIW RSS III speakers. From the picture, it looks like you only installed one? Or is there another one closer to the windows? Do you use the 65's as your rear surrounds?

Have a good one!

ZT
post #10 of 49 Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good morning,

Thanks for the links on the projectors. BenQ is one I've heard a good bit about. I can handle those prices as well.

How far is your projector mounted from your screen? Just trying to get a general idea of the screen size I can go with.

I just purchased 2x UIW RSS III speakers. From the picture, it looks like you only installed one? Or is there another one closer to the windows? Do you use the 65's as your rear surrounds?

Have a good one!

ZT

Congrats on your purchase!

Your screen size is dependent on how far back you sit in relation the screen. Do you know how far you will be sitting from the screen from your main seating position? I am sitting about 13' back from a 125" screen. This is a pretty helpful calculator based on THX viewing distances. 16:9 will most likely be your screen shape.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

My projector is mounted about 14' back, and it will depend on your projector and screen size. Once you determine what size screen and what projector you are interested in, you can plan the placement. I personally like to keep the throw as short as possible for my projector. The longer the throw, the less light makes it to the screen and bulbs will dim as they age. Also 3D likes as much light or lumens as you can throw at it since, with the glasses on, you lose about 75% of your lumens so a shorter throw is best. The BenQ projectors are pretty flexible in terms of placement. Especially the W7000 since it has lens shift.

I can tell you this. Since putting in the projector my wife (who is not a videophile at all) won't even watch TV upstairs anymore and the kids love it too. Lots of family movie nights and my game days with the guys.

Yeah, that pic does not show it but I have two RSS surrounds on either side of the couch. For my rear surrounds I had scored an crazy deal on a used pair of these (Deftech BP2X speakers):

They are wall mounted. I will eventually replace them with monopole rear surrounds as I am not crazy about bipole rear surrounds, but they do get the job done. I will probably go with in-wall speakers since my wife prefers the clean look.
post #11 of 49 Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link.... I'll be sitting roughly 15'-18' from the projection screen. That's a rough guess... still in the early stages of finishing the basement. I guess a 125" should suffice at that distance. What kind of screen did you end up purchasing? I've seen lots of random screen and border colors which allows for better image quality/deeper blacks I assume. Are there any recommended brands? I guess Draper is a big one... fairly expensive though. Are there any good quality acoustically transparent screens below a $1K? Also, is there a difference in quality between a 16:9 and 16:10?

Have a great weekend!

ZT
post #12 of 49 Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link.... I'll be sitting roughly 15'-18' from the projection screen. That's a rough guess... still in the early stages of finishing the basement. I guess a 125" should suffice at that distance. What kind of screen did you end up purchasing? I've seen lots of random screen and border colors which allows for better image quality/deeper blacks I assume. Are there any recommended brands? I guess Draper is a big one... fairly expensive though. Are there any good quality acoustically transparent screens below a $1K? Also, is there a difference in quality between a 16:9 and 16:10?

Have a great weekend!

ZT

Sitting that far back I would probably go no smaller than 125", and I would definitely push you towards a projector and screen at that seating distance or you will not be able to resolve 1080p with your eyes:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

As for affordable screens, I did a lot of research and went with SeymourAV Centerstage XD. Cost vs performance, you cannot beat it, and lots of guys in the dedicated theater forums have been using it for years very successfully.

http://seymourav.com/screens.asp

Back when I ordered I was able to order the Seymour screen material and the frame from here for about $550 shipped:
http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/products.html

You would want to contact Jamestown to order the screen and understand the lead time. I know I had to wait a good 6 weeks, but it saved me so much money it was worth it. If you are DIY handy you can build your own frame and order the material from Seymour AV yourself. DIY, you are probably looking at about $400 for the material and frame.

I would get black border for light absorption purposes.
16:9 is the aspect ration and is the most common for HDTV format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29

If this is only going to be used for movies you could use an aspect ration of 2:35:1. Hopefully this makes sense smile.gif
post #13 of 49 Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

You're a wealth of knowledge... I surely appreciate your time and info... it's been very informative and a big help.

I'll be using the screen for movies/gaming, mostly PS3. I see there are curved options on the screen as well as a matte white or grey screen. Any insight on that?

If I understand you correctly, you ordered the screen from Seymour and the frame from Jamestown and put it together yourself? Are the Jamestown screens AT?
post #14 of 49 Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're a wealth of knowledge... I surely appreciate your time and info... it's been very informative and a big help.

I'll be using the screen for movies/gaming, mostly PS3. I see there are curved options on the screen as well as a matte white or grey screen. Any insight on that?

If I understand you correctly, you ordered the screen from Seymour and the frame from Jamestown and put it together yourself? Are the Jamestown screens AT?

No problem, we were all where you are once.

I went with white, grey screens are for lower contast projectors, and the projectors you are looking at should have plenty of contrast. I also think the Seymour Centerstage XD screens only come in white.

I actually ordered everything through Jamestown. He ordered the screen material from SeymourAV and then shipped the frame and screen to my house. His assembly instructions were super easy to follow. Two of my neighbors have ordered screens from him as well and we had them assembled and hung within about 30-45 minutes.
post #15 of 49 Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Good evening,

I hope you're doing well. Thanks for the info on the screen... I've contacted the Jamestown Theater Company and will be ordering the screen/frame soon. Because of my goofy basement arrangement, I'm not sure about getting a full 125" screen to fit. And if it does, the low spot on a load bearing wall may force me to mount my projector 6-8' from the screen itself. I was leaning towards a 110" screen but I'm not sure a projector mounted at that distance will even come close to filling that size screen. Will lens shift help me here at all?

ZT
post #16 of 49 Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hello ack_bck,

Just wanted to shoot you an update on the av equipment.

I just received my 3x RLS III's for the fronts/center.
2x RSS III's for the rear
2x UIW 94/a's for the surrounds. Figured I'd go with these since they'll be in-ceilings and have the pivoting tweeters.

I also went with the BenQ W7000 and Marantz SR6007 av receiver.

Now just waiting on Jamestown to complete my screen.

Have a good one... and thanks again for all your info/advice... you've been a great help!

ZT
post #17 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How far behind the listening position are you installing the UIW 94? The directional tweeter is only poseable to 15°.
post #18 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,

They'll be mounted roughly 8-12" to the sides of the sitting area.
post #19 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 AM

Are you using UIW RSS for rear surround and UIW rounds for side surround?

I was actually looking into a similar equipment choice for my living room; however, I spoke to DT customer service and they definitely recommended using RSS for side surrounds and UIW RCS or UIW rounds for rear surrounds.
post #20 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yes... at least that was my initial plan. I called DT yesterday evening and got the same response for the side surrounds, the RSS III's. I guess the sides are more important than the rears?
post #21 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM

More that bi-polar speakers are more appropriate for surrounds to diffuse the sound- but this generally depends on preference. Some people like a more directed sound if there are well defined seating positions.

If the RSS speakers are used for side surround in-ceiling, the drivers should be aimed front/back. If the RSS are used as rear surround, the drivers should be aimed left/right.

RSS could be used for side surround and rear surround; RCS can be used for rear surround. I just didn't want to spend $400 or so extra on rear surrounds that don't get used as often. For me, less expensive rounds are acceptable- I just wish they were fully enclosed due to bedroom space on my upper floor.

Alternatively, I'm debating taking the RLS II drivers and DIY'ing a small sealed box for them- basically a cheap, timbre-matched RCS. With only one speaker, no need for complicated crossovers. I saw the drivers here on ebay.
post #22 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have a pair of UIW BPZ/A ( with 6.5" drivers ) as my back surrounds. They work extremely well for me and really made a difference vs. a pair of SM450 I tried before. I picked mine up for just under $550 for the pair from an Amazon reseller called SquidFly. I think these are discontinued and will be hard to find.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #23 of 49 Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM

When is the install occurring? Are you creating a thread in the general HT forum?

I just checked my wall cavities to make sure I can install the RLS and they'll fit. Getting my trigger finger ready... where did you get yours?
post #24 of 49 Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm currently in the pre-wiring stage. Still a bare bones basement at the moment. The insulation is up but no sheet rock/ceilings. The main construction will begin in May along with the A/V equipment installation. I may do a thread.. haven't decided yet.

I've been fortunate to purchase most everything 35-45% off MSRP. I bought the RLS III's and RSS III's from a Seller on eBay; hometheaterspeakersandsubs

They arrived quickly and new as described via UPS. Very happy with the Seller.

ZT
post #25 of 49 Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Do the speakers appear used at all or refurbs?
post #26 of 49 Old 03-31-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

They look new to me! Here's a couple of photos for you...

def techs 001.jpg 2291k .jpg file

def techs 004.jpg 2377k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg def techs 001.jpg (2.24 MB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg def techs 004.jpg (2.32 MB, 36 views)
post #27 of 49 Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Are you going to paint the grills?
post #28 of 49 Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely not on the RLS' as they'll be installed behind my projector screen.

I don't plan on painting the RSS grills either... but the wife will have the final say.
post #29 of 49 Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM

I just threw down and purchased 3x RLS III and 2x RSS III, Pioneer SC-1522-K, and a Klipsch RW-12D.

Are the UIW 94/A sealed? I haven't picked my rear surrounds yet. Not sure what to pick.
post #30 of 49 Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,

Congratulations on your purchase! That's quite a setup you've got there!

The best I can tell, the 94/a's drivers are sealed in a cast basket... but if I'm not mistaken, it's not completely enclosed/sealed like the RSS and RLS series.

I'll be using a 7.1 setup as well and went with 4x RSS III's for surrounds/rears. The surrounds will be in ceiling and the rears will be in-wall.

If you have a local dealer, you might drop in and see if they have any of the 94/a's and give them a test run.

I initially decided on going with the 94/a's based on my budget but I quickly talked myself out of that. Just told myself if you're going to do it, do it once, and do it right. It's better in the long run to get what you want and be done with it and not worry about second guessing anything, ya know?

Plus, the RSS III's are enclosed and bipolar. My room is a bit spacious so I'm after a wider and evenly spread sound.

I did the same thing on trying to decide on a receiver. Initially, it was a Denon AVR-3313. Then an Onkyo TX-NR818. Then a Marantz SR6007. Finally ended up purchasing a Pioneer Elite SC-65.

My first post on here, I was all settled with a Bose V35 Lifestyle System and an 80" Sharp 3D HDTV. Ready to drop $7-8k on those alone. The member ack_bk helped me out a lot and I ended up spending less money on a much better and COMPLETE home theater system.

Good luck to you in your decision making!

ZT
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Dual 5 25 Two Way Center Channel In Wall Speaker 255c Rt , Polk Audio Rc85i 2 Way In Wall Speakers Pair White , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Definitive Technology Uiw 65 Pair Rectangular Two Way Loudspeaker
Gear in this thread - 255c by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page