Need some home theater & speaker advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a very crude drawing of my current home theater setup.

My equipment is as follows...
TV: Sony 60" LED TV KDL-60EX645
Front Left and Right Speakers: Yamaha NS-A100XT

Center Channel: Bose VCS-10

Subwoofer: JBL 15" PSW-D115

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-6230
Apple TV rigged up with XBMC for media playback

so I have about $750-$1000 to upgrade my system. I would like to finally add the two rear surround speakers that I am missing. Also possibly upgrade/replace my receiver. Given my hodgepodge of speaker brands, what would you recommend for rear surrounds and a new receiver? Keep in mind I would need speaker stands so thats probably $100-$150 off my budget. Thanks

These are what I have been checking out so far...
The Denon 1913 & Harmon Kardon HKTS-30SAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
For a good sound system, it's important for your front three speakers to timbre match. This generally means three of the exact same speaker, or a center channel from the same manufacturer that is a good match (often the same speaker line).

Have you considered buying the matching center? Best I can tell this is supposed to have a similar tweeter NS-444C.

Or for that matter, if you could move your Yamahas to surround duty, investing in a new front sound stage would be the way to go. No need to buy speaker stands then, either smile.gif

post #3 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
About all I can say is...don't build on a non-stable foundation. If you have a good mix of music and HT then the foundation of your system is your L/R. If you listen to mostly HT then the foundation is center and sub.

I agree with cel4145...use your Yamaha as your rear.

I understand wanting to upgrade your receiver but it sort of like having a better motor without a good car to put it in. Given your setup...try to get the Denon 1713 at a later date. I mention that model for the room correction technology, cost and it is 5.1..which is all you need at this time.

Since I imagine this is mostly for HT from your post above...here are a few suggestions:

I will post next to the ones I have actually heard vs the ones I am recommending on reviews and information in these posts:

(Great Reviews)

EMP Tek
E56Ci Center Channel Speaker - $450 (got you the beefier center for HT)
E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers - $250 (book shelfs - can upgrade to tower eventually and use bookshelf for rear or these are decent so with sub should be fine)

(Heard - Purchased myself)

Ascend

CBM-170 SE Bookshelf Speakers - $350
CMT-340 SE CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER $298

(B-stock is often available ...and you have to add shipping but should hit your budget)

Some people like this one...look into it. I can't fully recommend these but something to think about.

HTD Level 3 Bookshelf -- $299
HTD Center -- $199

(Not heard..just from reviews)
Arx A3 floorstanding loudspeaker $499 or Arx A1b monitor loudspeaker $299
Arx A2b center / LCR loudspeaker or Arx A1b monitor loudspeaker, single - $209

Aperion (Heard) - busts your budget a little but these are world class. Shipping is included.
VERUS FORTE SATELLITE SPEAKER PAIR $449
OPEN BOX VERUS FORTE CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER $409

Then you can go more conventional like Klipsh referance. I have seen these go used for a whole 5.0 system for 500-700. You have Polk which are popular.

Tons of choices but you can take it from here.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

+1

Any of those speakers would be a great choice. The Internet speaker vendors offer a nice value over traditional brick and mortar store speaker products since they don't have to work a middleman into the price.

post #5 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Unless you need more HDMI inputs or 3D, don't worry about replacing the receiver. The one you have is just fine. If you can use the towers for surrounds, spend the entire budget on the front three speakers.

David
post #6 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

ok got... leave my receiver alone right now and upgrade the fronts and the center channel. Don't the Yamaha tower speakers seem a little big to be surround rear speakers?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriusjt2 View Post

ok got... leave my receiver alone right now and upgrade the fronts and the center channel. Don't the Yamaha tower speakers seem a little big to be surround rear speakers?

LOL There are people on the Energy owners thread running entire 7.1 setups with towers all the way around smile.gif

So yeah. They are often too big to conveniently place in a room, and often you might not get a lot more benefit buying towers in a speaker line over the smaller speakers for surround use. But since you already have them . . .

post #8 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

+ 1 to cel4145 again...

You got them... You have a budget you have to hit. Use them for now and upgrade those latter. Using them as surrounds will allow you to invest in your front sound stage which is where you need to put your bucks for now.

Since you were going to put bookshelf on speaker stands anyway...now you are good to go.

After L/C/R -- you can get better receiver with good room correction THEN replace your rear speakers.

I think once we get you a good front sound stage...we will start you wanting to get a better sub..but if it sounds good to you...then why bother?

There is no "right"...there is only your enjoyment in listening to the speakers.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

+ 1 to cel4145 again...

You got them... You have a budget you have to hit. Use them for now and upgrade those latter. Using them as surrounds will allow you to invest in your front sound stage which is where you need to put your bucks for now.

Since you were going to put bookshelf on speaker stands anyway...now you are good to go.

After L/C/R -- you can get better receiver with good room correction THEN replace your rear speakers.

I think once we get you a good front sound stage...we will start you wanting to get a better sub..but if it sounds good to you...then why bother?

There is no "right"...there is only your enjoyment in listening to the speakers.

yea I think the sub is good for now, its old but it is big and puts out some serious bass.

tell me if this setup would be any good

surrounds... http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-II-Reference-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker/dp/B0040L3DAO/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362014778&sr=1-11&keywords=klipsch+speakers

fronts... http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-II-Reference-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B00414ULNM/ref=sr_1_35?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362014932&sr=1-35&keywords=klipsch+speakers

center... http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Reference-Center-Channel-Loudspeaker/dp/B0040QMTK4/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362015170&sr=1-12&keywords=klipsch+speakers

that would put me at about $1120. I might be able to scrounge up the extra cash. think its worth it?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A lot of people like Klipsch, and a lot don't. They use a horn tweeter that many find a little too fatiguing. If you have heard them before and like them, then go for it.

I would recommend starting with the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE for left/right and the CMT-340 center to start, then add new surrounds later. They each have two 6.5" drivers (compared to 4.5" in the Klipsch towers). I'm listening to the bookshelf version of them right now (1 6.5" driver instead of two). They are awesome. One thing in favor of the CMT design is that you get three of the same exact speakers for the front, only one configured to be turned its side. Three the same is the best soundstage.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Go listen to the Klipsch...if you like them...they are extremely popular and you probably can pick up a used set cheaply. Just make sure you stay in the reference line ...dont get icon etc.

+1 yet again to what cel4145 is saying, but only you can tell what you like. You seem reluctant to go ID speakers...so go listen and figure it out.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page