Optimal surround speaker placement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys just gonna be moving in a couple weeks and need some placement advice. The system will be going into a living room and was wondering how right on the sides of the seating area (at ear level) would be. They are Energy bipole/dipole CR-10's and are in a 5.1 setup. Thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
In my opinion, a couple of feet above ear level and at least several feet away from the nearest viewer to each side would be ideal. Don't put them right next to the seats if you can avoid it--with surround speakers, distance is your friend. If they were monopoles, I would have suggested putting them slightly behind the viewers (in a 5.1 system), at least experimentally to find out how that sounds to you, but dipoles/bipoles should be placed directly to the sides (90 degrees).
post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes I didn't mean right beside sorry...what I meant was on the walls to the sides (in line with) the seating area.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

Yes I didn't mean right beside sorry...what I meant was on the walls to the sides (in line with) the seating area.

That's what I figured, given your exact wording, but I still like to cover every possibility, which is why I also mentioned monopoles while I was at it. People tend to learn by example, and I've seen all too many examples of home theater setups in electronics stores that practically stick the surround speakers in people's ears. rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In my current place I have them slightly behind and about 6-7' high. At my gf's place (where I'm moving) I won't have the same luxuries of hiding speaker wires, so I'd like to have them as low as possible. They will be mounted probably about 4-5' off to the side of the main listening area.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

In my current place I have them slightly behind and about 6-7' high. At my gf's place (where I'm moving) I won't have the same luxuries of hiding speaker wires, so I'd like to have them as low as possible. They will be mounted probably about 4-5' off to the side of the main listening area.

Ear level in terms of height is technically fine, so you could do that if it would help hide the wires, but if you'd prefer the surrounds a bit higher, like I do, for a more "3D" sense of envelopment, so to speak, then put them as high as aesthetics will allow for.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

Ear level in terms of height is technically fine, so you could do that if it would help hide the wires, but if you'd prefer the surrounds a bit higher, like I do, for a more "3D" sense of envelopment, so to speak, then put them as high as aesthetics will allow for.

Ya my problem is they will be mounted at about the middle (length) of the wall. With the wires running up from the bottom to the speaker. In wall wiring is impossible as its a rental, but at least I'll be using white cables to at least match the white walls.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page