Optimal surround speaker placement? - AVS Forum
Speakers > Optimal surround speaker placement?
nucl3arboNg's Avatar nucl3arboNg 06:00 PM 02-27-2013
Hey guys just gonna be moving in a couple weeks and need some placement advice. The system will be going into a living room and was wondering how right on the sides of the seating area (at ear level) would be. They are Energy bipole/dipole CR-10's and are in a 5.1 setup. Thanks in advance....

Robert Cook's Avatar Robert Cook 07:37 PM 02-27-2013
In my opinion, a couple of feet above ear level and at least several feet away from the nearest viewer to each side would be ideal. Don't put them right next to the seats if you can avoid it--with surround speakers, distance is your friend. If they were monopoles, I would have suggested putting them slightly behind the viewers (in a 5.1 system), at least experimentally to find out how that sounds to you, but dipoles/bipoles should be placed directly to the sides (90 degrees).
nucl3arboNg's Avatar nucl3arboNg 09:24 PM 02-27-2013
Yes I didn't mean right beside sorry...what I meant was on the walls to the sides (in line with) the seating area.
Robert Cook's Avatar Robert Cook 09:51 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

Yes I didn't mean right beside sorry...what I meant was on the walls to the sides (in line with) the seating area.

That's what I figured, given your exact wording, but I still like to cover every possibility, which is why I also mentioned monopoles while I was at it. People tend to learn by example, and I've seen all too many examples of home theater setups in electronics stores that practically stick the surround speakers in people's ears. rolleyes.gif
nucl3arboNg's Avatar nucl3arboNg 10:01 AM 02-28-2013
In my current place I have them slightly behind and about 6-7' high. At my gf's place (where I'm moving) I won't have the same luxuries of hiding speaker wires, so I'd like to have them as low as possible. They will be mounted probably about 4-5' off to the side of the main listening area.
Robert Cook's Avatar Robert Cook 02:10 PM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

In my current place I have them slightly behind and about 6-7' high. At my gf's place (where I'm moving) I won't have the same luxuries of hiding speaker wires, so I'd like to have them as low as possible. They will be mounted probably about 4-5' off to the side of the main listening area.

Ear level in terms of height is technically fine, so you could do that if it would help hide the wires, but if you'd prefer the surrounds a bit higher, like I do, for a more "3D" sense of envelopment, so to speak, then put them as high as aesthetics will allow for.
nucl3arboNg's Avatar nucl3arboNg 02:16 PM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

Ear level in terms of height is technically fine, so you could do that if it would help hide the wires, but if you'd prefer the surrounds a bit higher, like I do, for a more "3D" sense of envelopment, so to speak, then put them as high as aesthetics will allow for.

Ya my problem is they will be mounted at about the middle (length) of the wall. With the wires running up from the bottom to the speaker. In wall wiring is impossible as its a rental, but at least I'll be using white cables to at least match the white walls.
Up
Mobile  Desktop