Best 5.1 setup for under $2500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie here. Looking for opinions for a new speaker set (under $2500) for home theater. Room is 12 ft wide by 19 ft long with 2 rows of home theater seating. Considerations:
- Preference for front is floorstanding as long as they are sturdy
- Surrounds will be mounted on rear wall (approx 1-2 feet behind last row of seating)
- Usage will be 100% movies (no music)

Also, am I right to think that none of the on wall sets can compete against normal (thick) speakers?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 847

For that budget, I'd look at the PSB Image series. Here's a very positive review of a 5.1 system based on the Image T6:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/psb-image-t6-speaker-system

The reviewed system comes in at $2625, just over your budget. If that's simply too much, consider the step-down T5, C5 or C4 center, and B5 or B4 bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. Alternatively, you could use the S5 bipole surrounds, which would give you a more diffuse surround soundfield than the bookshelf speakers. In your case, a diffuse soundfield might be better since they will be only 1-2 feet from the back row.

For a discussion of the relative merits of bipole, dipole, and monopole surround speakers, see our poll here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457894/do-you-prefer-bipole-dipole-or-monopole-surround-speakers

The subwoofer in the HomeTheater.com review was the SubSeries 5i subwoofer, but I don't see it on the PSB website, so it may be discontinued. I'd get the largest one you can afford (and fit in the room) after buying the rest of the speakers.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #3 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
fwiw, 3 chase home theater pro-10's for front and 2 m-1's for surrounds and a ss 18.1 sub with amp. approx. $2500 shipped

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #4 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Your room is not very wide. Are you using a projector and screen? If so, what is the width of the screen? If it is a TV, how wide is it?

On-wall I would avoid for mains. In-wall or in-room would be the way to go. But in a narrow room craming large speakers in the corner is not good.

You room will dictate the speaker choice IMHO. Give us the above and we can make a good recommendation.

Also, I really question your surround placement. With two rows stick the side surround speakers slightly behind the front row and ahead of the back "splitting the difference". Wife for 7.1 if you have at least a foot or more on the back wall.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I will check out the PSB speakers at a local dealer.

You're right - my room is not that wide. I am aiming to install a projector and a 100 - 110 inch projector screen.

I might be able to stick the surrounds on the side walls in between the 1st and 2nd row, but it brings a few other complications (as always!). I was not sure that 7.1 was worth it given that I will not have much room behind the 2nd row? Maybe wire for it anyway and then wait and see?

Does anyone have a point of view on the definitive tech BP8040 speakers and their surround sound partner the SR8040? The front speakers are pretty narrow which might help with my room size...

Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Ascend 170 SE Surround and 340 SE for L/C/R = $1220 dollars with shipping
Sub = Klipsch RW-12d on sale - $299 at Newegg.com (Sale is fairly frequent event.) You probably want to do this x 2 - 600 (other options exist like SVS / HSU etc)

Now you did say you prefer towers so here are other options:

Aperion INTIMUS 5T HYBRID HD -- Full 5.1 system comes right under your $2500 buck limit (if you dont like it..shipping is free both ways.)

Another option:

E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers Black (pair) $250.00
E55Ti Tower Speakers Black (pair) $795.00
E56Ci Center Speaker Black (each) $450.00

$1700 Shipped then you can get the two Klipsch subs.

Tons of options...these are three great ones. I would probably recommend the EMP Tek option most given your requirements but they are all great options.

Heck you can go with HSU package as well (no towers though):

1 VTF-15H Subwoofer
4 HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speakers
1 HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel speaker

$1829

Don't forget second hand... can pick up allot for 2500 -- Audiologon, Ebay, Craiglist ...Listen, Listen, Listen then buy what you love.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsheppard View Post

Thanks for the help. I will check out the PSB speakers at a local dealer.

You're right - my room is not that wide. I am aiming to install a projector and a 100 - 110 inch projector screen.

I might be able to stick the surrounds on the side walls in between the 1st and 2nd row, but it brings a few other complications (as always!). I was not sure that 7.1 was worth it given that I will not have much room behind the 2nd row? Maybe wire for it anyway and then wait and see?

Does anyone have a point of view on the definitive tech BP8040 speakers and their surround sound partner the SR8040? The front speakers are pretty narrow which might help with my room size...

Thanks

A 110" diagonal screen will be about 103" wide when you include the frame and border. A 12' wall is 144" wide max. You don't have much room. I would personally go with some narrow tower or bookshelf speakers, but another option (which I did in my room) is an acoustically transparent screen with in-wall speakers (building a false wall would be an option too for in-room speakers but you lose a good 2-3' of length which won't work for you). This allows you to put the in-wall speakers directly behind the screen with optimal placement (especially the center channel which can be vertical vs horizontal).

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

You can get a good 100-110" screen using SeymourAV Centerstage XD screen material and frame for about $500. You can also get some good in-wall speakers well within your budget. I would plan about $1500 for the speakers and that leaves you enough for an HSU VTF-15H sub or PSA XV-15 sub.

For speakers I would look for an enclosed in-wall speaker like the Deftech UIW RLS III speakers and some matching Deftech surrounds. In your situation I would avoid the BP8049 speakers, due to being so close to boundary walls. Those speakers are bipolar and need a good 1-3 feet to breathe to sound their best (they tend to sound muddy to close to walls). The Deftech Mythos towers are narrow and might be a good fit.

As for your surrounds, it can't hurt to wire for the rear back speakers for now. For the side surrounds to save space you could go in-wall, or on-wall. I would definitely put them on the sides though, that is where 5.1 is intended to be and how movies are mixed.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 744
A lot of people like the DT BP8040 speakers. However, if you are buying them for the subs, that might not be a good choice. Running dual subwoofers would definitely be a good idea with two rows of theater seating (dual subs can create a smoother frequency response throughout the room). But best to have the option of placing them where they work best, rather than having them attached to the towers. It may be that where the towers are is not the best location in the room.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM

I am now thinking that in-wall speakers are the way to go. Will provide a much cleaner look. Can anyone provide recommendations for the best option within my budget? They must be enclosed.

Many thanks
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page