Central Iowa Spring Audio GTG - JTR/Bamberg/Seaton/Salk/GR Research - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 284 Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I don't know, but he looks skinny for him. Must have been off the creatine at the time or doing a lot of cardio.

I think I just didn't feed him any breakfast that day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 284 Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 148
A lot of people have posted reviews, notes and thoughts of the day yet a lot of people haven't. Any more reviews out there?
post #273 of 284 Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Just read all the comments, thanks to all involved and those taking the time to comment.

These GTG, this grass roots level stuff is really quite heart-warming, and wonderful to read. The complement of loudspeakers at this meet seemed pretty much spot on for HT, also with an eye on great performing, high value two channel offerings too. That context is powerfully helpful in auditioning loudspeakers. Sure, there could've been a couple more of the popular choices, but wow, what a group this truly was.

Great read. Any surprises for me? Yeah, I'd thought the LS-6 would've garnered higher subjective ratings, so I'm curious as to all that was at play there. The pattern control and high quality compression driver of the Noesis is clearly a good combo ... I'd enjoy hearing them. Being Seaton Catalyst owner, the comments about their full range response are no surprise to me. Being fully DSP optimized w/full time alignment, and smooth response top-to-bottom, they possess a coherency and subjective speed that can be elusive in other approaches. I'd enjoy hearing the Bamberg, and the Salks I'd love to hear ... I really don't remember ever hearing them.

Great job, the bar has again been raised, there's a great deal to be proud of here.

Also, I love reading the "demo on Saturday, buy on Monday" testimonials smile.gif

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #274 of 284 Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Congratulations Dragoson! You are going to love it man, but you already know that. smile.gif

Very very cool, I was bummed for Jeff that so many left before the JTR demo but it looks like it sure was worthwhile.

I'm curious - what size is your room and can you post pics of your current setup? I'm very jealous of your soon to be surrounds...

My wife is even excited for them now after discussing it and telling her about each of the speakers, isn't that nuts? biggrin.gif

My room is about 14.5 W x 33 L x 8 H. It's a nice space and I actually bought the house because it was the biggest basement I could find in the area during that time (With a HT in mind of course!).

Excuse the mess, I've been moving everything out to rip out the rest of the drywall so I can figure out the best way to soundproof the area. I'm going to rotate from the current setup and build a false wall for an acoustic screen to hide the speakers behind, probably from a 118 16x9 screen to a 140-150 inch 2.40:1 curved screen.

post #275 of 284 Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #276 of 284 Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

They hear em, they buy em ...

Congrats Dragoson cool.gif

Yep, you tried to tell me! Your comments in our previous discussion were pretty spot on to what I heard. It was still a tough decision as there were strong points for each of the speakers but after talking with the wife and looking at price/performance the JTR's stood out with the Catalysts right behind them. It came down to having a front soundstage only or having the whole 5.1 set-up for our budget.

Anyways, I appreciate all the input and advice! cool.gif
post #277 of 284 Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Going with a Seymour screen?

Yeah, seriously considering the Seymour Center Stage XD material. Going to dig into the screen materials and frames a bit more in the next couple of weeks.
post #278 of 284 Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good choice. A Seymour screen is on my very short list when (and if) I go AT. Chris is a great guy and has been to two of our GTG's.
post #279 of 284 Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Last Thursday I finally had a chance to connect my LS6 speakers again. A week without hearing them in my room was long enough! I had a chance to listen to them for about 1 1/2 hours. I listened to part of Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky Tour - Live in Bergen (2010). Telegraph Road sounds tremendous!

ALMFamily - I see you were at the Lone Star Audio Fest this past weekend. Can you tell us what differences you heard with the Bamberg's in a different setup?
post #280 of 284 Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Dragoson,

Your room length is phenomenol. Easily fit a couple rows and a bar at the back if you desire. A great place to start with soundproofing is thesoundproofingcompany.com. And hold off on any more gear purchases until you get your entire room layout done bc things can change dramatically during the design process.

Those JTR's are gonna rock for sure.
post #281 of 284 Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Dragoson,

Your room length is phenomenol. Easily fit a couple rows and a bar at the back if you desire. A great place to start with soundproofing is thesoundproofingcompany.com. And hold off on any more gear purchases until you get your entire room layout done bc things can change dramatically during the design process.

Those JTR's are gonna rock for sure.

Other than ceiling height same dimensions as my room. Going to be fun, you starting a build thread or did I miss that?
post #282 of 284 Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Other than ceiling height same dimensions as my room. Going to be fun, you starting a build thread or did I miss that?

Yup, it is in my sig. Check it out.

I went ahead and hired 2 contractor/carpenters that I know to help me on the weekends. We just finished with the clips/channel double drywall and green glue and are taping and mudding. So the floor treatment and stage and riser are next!

After the Omaha GTG I went back to my room and tried to figure out how I could do a bar in the back but it wasn't even close.

We just talked about doing a KC theater tour and I think it will happen sometime. Hopefully later in the year.
post #283 of 284 Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Last Thursday I finally had a chance to connect my LS6 speakers again. A week without hearing them in my room was long enough! I had a chance to listen to them for about 1 1/2 hours. I listened to part of Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky Tour - Live in Bergen (2010). Telegraph Road sounds tremendous!

ALMFamily - I see you were at the Lone Star Audio Fest this past weekend. Can you tell us what differences you heard with the Bamberg's in a different setup?

Apologies - I have been playing catch-up for the past couple weeks. If you would like, you can check out my thoughts here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/forum-announcements-news/67314-2013-lsaf-official-show-report-joe-alexander.html

The Bambergs are post #15.
post #284 of 284 Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 66
thought some that were on this thread might be interested in the GTG Im having in November.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493603/se-wisconsin-jtr-gtg-2013#post_23806436

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page