Denon 1612 speaker wire? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Beees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got a Denon 1612 and am going to purchase some Cambridge Audio S30s when Amazon gets them back in stock. I am a very new to audio and was wondering what the almighty forum would recommend for speaker wires with this setup. I'm fairly handy, so I don't thinking hooking up the speakers will be a problem, just dont know what size/connections I need. Sorry for being oblivious. Thanks for the help!
Beees is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Monoprice and Blue Jeans are good sources. Use this to figure the gauge requirements:
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Connectors are optional; I don't bother with them.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 873
14 gauge is fine and I love banana plugs for the tidy connection . Lots of places including ebay to get them.
chalugadp is online now  
post #4 of 12 Old 02-28-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 787
monoprice...all you will ever need!

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beees View Post

I recently got a Denon 1612 and am going to purchase some Cambridge Audio S30s when Amazon gets them back in stock. I am a very new to audio and was wondering what the almighty forum would recommend for speaker wires with this setup. I'm fairly handy, so I don't thinking hooking up the speakers will be a problem, just dont know what size/connections I need. Sorry for being oblivious. Thanks for the help!

www.audioadvisor.com has the Cambridge in stock. Same price that Amazon sells them for.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAS30%20%20%20%20%20DKOAK

matching s50 center
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAS50%20%20%20%20%20BLK

14ga speaker wire is fine. Monoprice.com has great quality and pricing.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Beees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help guys. I will pick up some 14 gauge wire for my speakers. I'm waiting for amazon because I have a gift card there. Again, thanks for the help!
Beees is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Beees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After looking at monoprice, is there any difference in the banana plugs?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401

They are all similar in price, I just wondered if there was something I needed to be aware of before I just ordered some (open wire vs. closed wire). As always, thanks for putting up with me.
Beees is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Honestly, after using the Monoprice closed screw plugs and several other banana plugs I've found these are the best banana plugs for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Banana-Fast-Lock-Technology/dp/B006U3O566/ref=pd_sim_pc_3

The monoprice plugs are fine but the Sewell plugs are much easier to use. I also like the Sewell outer casing better since it is non-metallic. They're worth the extra cost.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #9 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,032
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Honestly, after using the Monoprice closed screw plugs and several other banana plugs I've found these are the best banana plugs for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Banana-Fast-Lock-Technology/dp/B006U3O566/ref=pd_sim_pc_3

The monoprice plugs are fine but the Sewell plugs are much easier to use. I also like the Sewell outer casing better since it is non-metallic. They're worth the extra cost.
They even have a rubber grommet where they screw together. Nice touch. I have not used this kind and dont need any now but I will check them out next time.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Member
 
weez82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

They're worth the extra cost.

The Sewell's are a little cheaper per pair then the mono price after shipping is calculated (though not by much). And I agree 100%, the Sewell is much nicer to use

weez82 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by weez82 View Post

The Sewell's are a little cheaper per pair then the mono price after shipping is calculated (though not by much). And I agree 100%, the Sewell is much nicer to use

Maybe where you live but if you buy the mono price plugs in the 5 pair pack they are $7.66 for 10 plugs. He would need 2 five pair packs which is $15.22. Even with tax and shipping for me it would be $22.76 for 10 sets of plugs.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9436&seq=1&format=2

I'd still get the Sewell plugs though.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #12 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
josh6113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Maybe where you live but if you buy the mono price plugs in the 5 pair pack they are $7.66 for 10 plugs. He would need 2 five pair packs which is $15.22. Even with tax and shipping for me it would be $22.76 for 10 sets of plugs.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9436&seq=1&format=2

I'd still get the Sewell plugs though.
I've used those mono price plugs and thought they weren't all that great...fit loose on my binding posts of my 8060-st deftech's.I bought speaker cable with bannanas Already attached...there BFA style I believe...very snug fit.

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
josh6113 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off