need help, choosing to stay with my klipsch rf-52s or going to energy cf-70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a oportunity to upgrade my klipsch rf 52s front and center speakers to energy cf series

currently i have rf 52 ii and rc 52ii and would be going to energy cc10s and rc 70s

my main thought are i would be going to a 3 day system instead of a 2 way with klipsch and i would get a cleaner sound from the dome tweeters

also bigger bass drivers

dont get me wrong i love my klipsch's and still not 100% if i should do the move ?

what are your guys thoughts?

stick with the klipsch or move to energy ?

thanks for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarg37 View Post

i have a oportunity to upgrade my klipsch rf 52s front and center speakers to energy cf series

currently i have rf 52 ii and rc 52ii and would be going to energy cc10s and rc 70s

my main thought are i would be going to a 3 day system instead of a 2 way with klipsch and i would get a cleaner sound from the dome tweeters

also bigger bass drivers

dont get me wrong i love my klipsch's and still not 100% if i should do the move ?

stick with the klipsch or move to energy ?

thanks for all your help

Well even though I haven't heard either, I know they sound drastically different.

By the way, you need the RC-LCR center which goes for like 400-500$..

I would say it would be more of a lateral move in terms of sound quality. More experienced peoples will probably chime in.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

also bigger bass drivers

If you love the Klipsch then dont move. There is no point. Just because you see a new TV 70% off..but your current TV is in great shape and you like it...don't go buy the TV just because it is a "good deal".

Save your money for something else.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Well even though I haven't heard either, I know they sound drastically different.

By the way, you need the RC-LCR center which goes for like 400-500$..

I would say it would be more of a lateral move in terms of sound quality. More experienced peoples will probably chime in.

thanks for you input i can go with the rc lcr center instead and go with the cf 70 for the towers,

i know they will sound differently in a good or bad way =<, i wondering if its worth the trouble ?

speakers will be ran off my yamaha aventage a2000 ,
post #5 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

i also might have a chance to pick up some monitor audio rs6 used also,
post #6 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

thanks for you input i can go with the rc lcr center instead and go with the cf 70 for the towers,

i know they will sound differently in a good or bad way =<, i wondering if its worth the trouble ?

The RC-LCR center is from a totally different series than than the CF-70. Different sound and different look. I've had the CC-10 (center that matches the CF-70) as well as the CF-70s. I also currently have the RC-LCR with my other Energy RC speakers.

The CF-70 is the best of that series as far as sound goes. It is a little bit bright which makes it good for movies. The RC speakers are discontinued so getting those would be difficult but generally the CF towers would be better for movies and RC better for music. Although I love my RC speakers for both. Higher quality than the CF towers.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #7 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Either go with CF-70 and CC-10

or

RC-LCR and RC-70

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #8 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/548446170/energy-v5-2c?s_c=site_search

People from the Energy thread say that they are happy with a V5.2C in between their RC70s
post #9 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Don't understand why people are fueling your upgradeitis when you are happy with your Klipsch? Newer does not = better especially since you never said you heard the Energy.

Anyway...have fun with whatever you decided.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Don't understand why people are fueling your upgradeitis when you are happy with your Klipsch? Newer does not = better especially since you never said you heard the Energy.

Anyway...have fun with whatever you decided.

Fueling upgradeitis is why we're all here, is it not? tongue.gif

Naw, I really agree though, if you're happy with what you have you keep it. Although if you were wanting to try out a different sound, do what I did: just purchase a pair of bookshelf speakers from that series or manufacturer and try it and then if you like it purchase the bigger speakers in that series and then use those first bookshelves as surrounds or heights or something.

post #11 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You need to listen to them next to your Klipsch. I have to say, I am not keen on the Energy CF series. They did nothing for me. Just my opinion..
post #12 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you input guys

My main point was going from a 2 way to a 3 way system

Also the energy has bigger drivers compared to my rf52

Also going to a dome tweeter instead of a horn design

The main question are these an upgrade move from my rf52s that I have
post #13 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
IMHO, I would say it would be an upgrade going from your Klipsch(RF-52) to the Energys. How much is up to YOU and your ears...I've had a couple different pair of Klipsch as well as a couple different Energy set ups including the center mentioned above....Both very different sounding from each other. If you "love" your Klipsch, stick with them and save yourself the hassle/time/money of changing your speakers out. If you are not happy with your Klipsch, then you WILL NOT stop until they are gone...I've been in your position a few times. I wouldn't worry about the size of the drivers too much, there are plenty of speakers out there that use smaller drivers and have NO problem filling a room and getting LOUD with wonderful sound. I am currently using a 2 way monitor style speaker(with matching center) and they fill my 16X23 foot room with wonderful distortion free sound...So, size ISN'T necessarily better either. I don't know what your room looks or sounds like, but before I would spend more money on speakers, I would make sure my current speakers are placed properly in my room...I spent a couple hours last weekend just moving my speakers around and finding the optimal placement...It DOES make a big difference. Room treatments can have a large effect on your sound as well...Just sayin... In regards to a 3way compared to a 2way design...there are always trade-offs. Personally, I prefer a 2way style monitor WITH a sub. I like the way my monitors just disappear in my room, compared to the "floor standers" that I have had. YMMV

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #14 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
OP, do you have a sub?
post #15 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

i do have a sub, im runing dual rw12 subs currently

room is a meduim size living room,

i just ran to best buy to hear one in person and they did sound pretty good but they dont carry klipsch reference series in there magnolia section so i couldnt do a side by side comparison

they did sound on the bright side but nothing different then the horns on the klipsch,
post #16 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Anyway you can buy the Energy towers for an in home demo with the option to return?

I like Energy speakers and own the RC-50 towers. It seems to me what you are contemplating is more of a lateral move within the same speaker class where listening preferences will be the biggest determining factor. These are just different sounding speakers. Some people will like the Energys better; some the Klipsch.

You already said that you like your Klipsch. So unless you can compare the Energy sound side by side with the Klipsch, I would wait until you can make a significant upgrade.

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 52

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page