Bowers and Wilkins 683 - an honest review. - Page 8 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Bowers and Wilkins 683 - an honest review.

Speakers

McStyvie's Avatar McStyvie
11:34 PM Liked: 78
post #211 of 277
05-17-2014 | Posts: 884
Are you using the old version htm61?
That one had known issues. Could be the tiny sweet spot on it that so many have complained about.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Stephen Sutton's Avatar Stephen Sutton
01:59 AM Liked: 17
post #212 of 277
05-18-2014 | Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

That one had known issues. Could be the tiny sweet spot on it that so many have complained about.

Well it is a htm61 series 1. It's also a floor model as only my 683's that I got for 1k for the pair were brand new out of the box. My htm61 and 685's are floor models. My svs pb 1000 subs are brand new. Like I said though the dialog enhancer set to high does make a huge difference though on the center speaker
Chise's Avatar Chise
06:39 AM Liked: 95
post #213 of 277
05-18-2014 | Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

Nothing is wrong with htm61s1, go on manuals settings on your receiver just turn it up couple numbers from the audessey settings.
memphis2050
08:48 PM Liked: 0
post #214 of 277
07-20-2014 | Posts: 21
Hey guys, I have a question for the guys with amp experience. I have a Marantz 6007(110w per channel claimed) and i have the HTM61, 683's, and M1 rears. While watching the movie "Star trek" when the romulan ship is getting sucked into the black hole my center channel i beleive was distorting. Also Clover field has very high db scenes which i like to play loud. I sit about 12F away. id like to get more power for more volume,less strain on my receiver and better clarity. I was trying to decide between the Emotiva XPA-5 which is 200wx5 in 8ohms and 300wx5 in 4ohms or the XPR-5 which is 400wx5 8ohms and 600wx5 in to a 4ohm load. i know i wouldnt push the amp all the way but the nice head room would be nice and the fact that i wouldnt be straining the amp as well would be nice. Not only that but once i get the chance to upgrade to the 800D series then id be set. not any time soon though lol. But then again would the XPA-5 give me what i want with out coughing up to much money?? Help please. lol

Room dim are 10'x24'x9 i know i know not to big.
macddmac's Avatar macddmac
11:40 PM Liked: 18
post #215 of 277
07-20-2014 | Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2050 View Post
Hey guys, I have a question for the guys with amp experience. I have a Marantz 6007(110w per channel claimed) and i have the HTM61, 683's, and M1 rears. While watching the movie "Star trek" when the romulan ship is getting sucked into the black hole my center channel i beleive was distorting. Also Clover field has very high db scenes which i like to play loud. I sit about 12F away. id like to get more power for more volume,less strain on my receiver and better clarity. I was trying to decide between the Emotiva XPA-5 which is 200wx5 in 8ohms and 300wx5 in 4ohms or the XPR-5 which is 400wx5 8ohms and 600wx5 in to a 4ohm load. i know i wouldnt push the amp all the way but the nice head room would be nice and the fact that i wouldnt be straining the amp as well would be nice. Not only that but once i get the chance to upgrade to the 800D series then id be set. not any time soon though lol. But then again would the XPA-5 give me what i want with out
coughing up to much money?? Help please. lol
Are you running a sub?
Peekaboo2k's Avatar Peekaboo2k
11:55 PM Liked: 14
post #216 of 277
07-20-2014 | Posts: 10
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a question for the guys with amp experience. I have a Marantz 6007(110w per channel claimed) and i have the HTM61, 683's, and M1 rears. While watching the movie "Star trek" when the romulan ship is getting sucked into the black hole my center channel i beleive was distorting. Also Clover field has very high db scenes which i like to play loud. I sit about 12F away. id like to get more power for more volume,less strain on my receiver and better clarity. I was trying to decide between the Emotiva XPA-5 which is 200wx5 in 8ohms and 300wx5 in 4ohms or the XPR-5 which is 400wx5 8ohms and 600wx5 in to a 4ohm load. i know i wouldnt push the amp all the way but the nice head room would be nice and the fact that i wouldnt be straining the amp as well would be nice. Not only that but once i get the chance to upgrade to the 800D series then id be set. not any time soon though lol. But then again would the XPA-5 give me what i want with out coughing up to much money?? Help please. lol

Yes definitely!! I have a XPA-5 powering my B&W-tower 683's,center htm 61 and my 685's with allot of head room remaining, the reason I say that is because I use to power my 683 with my UPA-7 its 120 watts@8ohms per channel it fell like the 683 needed more ommph/power especially when watching movie with allot of action scenes and explosions also need to say I like to listen to music and watch movies pretty loud almost all the time. The UPA-7 is no slouch!! but i can tell the 683 needed a little more juice/power to get the full dynamic range out of it.Once i got the XPA-5 WOW!!! big difference.I like being able to crank up the volume and not worry about clipping,and damaging these speakers which the XPA-5 delivers. I just bought 2 Emotiva XPA-1's mono amps should arrive tomorrow. I bought them mostly for music purposes and I got a amazing deal on them not because I'm not happy with my set up now. Will let you know how the 683's sound with the Emotiva XPA-1's. MY Room dim are 12'x16'x9

MY set up
Yamaha RX-A3010 Pre/Pro@ 11.3
Emotiva UPA-7&XPA-5 Amplifier
SPEAKERS
B&W HTM-61 Center,
B&W HTM 683 Front Left& Right
B&W HTM 685 Surrounds
B&W HTM 686 Rears&Front Presence
Yamaha Speakers Rear Presence
2 Klipsch Synergy 12 Sub(DIY SUB RISER)
memphis2050
11:06 AM Liked: 0
post #217 of 277
07-21-2014 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekaboo2k View Post
Yes definitely!! I have a XPA-5 powering my B&W-tower 683's,center htm 61 and my 685's with allot of head room remaining, the reason I say that is because I use to power my 683 with my UPA-7 its 120 watts@8ohms per channel it fell like the 683 needed more ommph/power especially when watching movie with allot of action scenes and explosions also need to say I like to listen to music and watch movies pretty loud almost all the time. The UPA-7 is no slouch!! but i can tell the 683 needed a little more juice/power to get the full dynamic range out of it.Once i got the XPA-5 WOW!!! big difference.I like being able to crank up the volume and not worry about clipping,and damaging these speakers which the XPA-5 delivers. I just bought 2 Emotiva XPA-1's mono amps should arrive tomorrow. I bought them mostly for music purposes and I got a amazing deal on them not because I'm not happy with my set up now. Will let you know how the 683's sound with the Emotiva XPA-1's. MY Room dim are 12'x16'x9

MY set up
SPEAKERS
B&W HTM-61 Center,
B&W HTM 685 Surrounds
Thanks bro. I appreciate your help.
memphis2050
11:08 AM Liked: 0
post #218 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by macddmac View Post
Are you running a sub?
Yes I am. I am using a Bic america F-12. Sounds pretty good. And it's only half way up on the amp volume. And I think the receiver doesn't have it to loud either.
adrummingdude's Avatar adrummingdude
12:51 PM Liked: 18
post #219 of 277
07-21-2014 | Posts: 97
Quote:

I have had an XPA-3 driving my 683's/HTM center channel combination, and it was a beast. I'm sure the XPA-5, especially if your main consideration is movie watching, would be more than enough power for you. The difference between it and even a strong inboard receiver amp is pretty vast.

By the way, I love the audio in that Star Trek film! Another good one is the new (remake) of Total Recall. Pick that up if you haven't already. There are some bass drops in the opening sequence which will make your neighbors call the cops on you.
memphis2050
01:34 PM Liked: 0
post #220 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I have had an XPA-3 driving my 683's/HTM center channel combination, and it was a beast. I'm sure the XPA-5, especially if your main consideration is movie watching, would be more than enough power for you. The difference between it and even a strong inboard receiver amp is pretty vast.

By the way, I love the audio in that Star Trek film! Another good one is the new (remake) of Total Recall. Pick that up if you haven't already. There are some bass drops in the opening sequence which will make your neighbors call the cops on you.
Thanks man. I appreciate your input. And yes, star trek does have good audio. And I was never even a star trek fan lol. I don't think I have seen the new total recall but trust me I'm going to look into it. Thx again
memphis2050
11:23 PM Liked: 0
post #221 of 277
07-22-2014 | Posts: 21
Ok i have another question lol. What if i i get the XPA-3 to power my 683, and htm 61 and leave the Marantz powering my M1 rears. The marantz is said to throw 110w rms and the M1's are rated at 100w. Would that be good or would it still go back to a receiver not being able to power speakers efficiently and control the speaker the way a amp would?
Chise's Avatar Chise
11:36 AM Liked: 95
post #222 of 277
07-23-2014 | Posts: 1,293
Quote:

MY set up
SPEAKERS
B&W HTM-61 Center,
B&W HTM 685 Surrounds
My friend thats a lot for small room,hey go for it.
11:05 PM Liked: 14
post #223 of 277
07-23-2014 | Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
My friend thats a lot for small room,hey go for it.
yes and no, I realize the more wattage I put to the B&W's the better the sound it produces also like I said before I like to listen to music and watch movies pretty loud almost all the time.
bears t2's Avatar bears t2
05:41 AM Liked: 14
post #224 of 277
07-24-2014 | Posts: 41
Memphis have you given up on the xpr5 or are you happy with the xpa5 at this time.. I thought about the xpr5 also but didn't want to lay out getting a 20amp plug and switch put in my box. I wasn't sure that the xpa5 would be enough. Ive got an avr also an onkyo818 with 135wpc but id love to have more power for my 683 and htm61 also.
memphis2050
08:24 AM Liked: 0
post #225 of 277
07-24-2014 | Posts: 21
Well usually i like to go big or go home. lol but in this case i wanted to make sure i wasnt going over board either. And then since id have to get a dedicated 20amp circuit ,which is not a problem cause i have a 30amp right now, id still have to re wire my other equipment. And ive been jumping in and out of other forums where people have had similar setups and were satisfied when upgrading to the xpa 5 or at least a 200w rms amp compared to their receiver. the say the amp controls the speaker better then the receiver and the extra head room is great. And from what i have read a amp is way stronger then the receiver, i mean thats its only job, power the speaker. And i want to upgrade because my receiver say that its 7.2 but the specs are diff every where. For example on the marantz website and other ones to its says 110w rms(2 cahnnel driven). And yet other people say its 110w rms all channels driven. So does Marantz tech support but the he continued saying something like " every channel has a dedicated two amp in it except for the center" which confused me. Idk man im stuck lol. I want an amp to increase the performance of my set up but i dont want to waste the money and get a small difference in performance.
12:50 PM Liked: 14
post #226 of 277
07-24-2014 | Posts: 41
Oh it wouldn't be a waste that's for sure. You would be getting 200 for sure or 400 depending on the amp your thinking of. Your avr is only getting I think in the neighborhood of 65 for real on all channels as opposed to what they say it is. ATI or Emotiva, Classe, Parasound all are real watts LOL. And as said by peek it has made a BIG noise on his stuff. GOD 400 watts Id get that just to freak out the 1st time I turned it on LOL.. Id be AFRAID to turn it up any.. Let me put it this way I saw a rep from B&W last night with the 805 Maseratis little bookshelves that cost 10k... anyway he had them connected to a 300w per channel Classe amp and had them cranked to -20 to -15 and they were BEAUTIFUL sounding and he said hes had them connected to a 1200w per channel amp before and they were amazing!!!
Just to give you an idea.. Well I'm not going to get either till this spring anyways, I'm just trying to figure it out like you I guess. More and more I'm liking the XPR5 this week anyways LOL.
Chise's Avatar Chise
01:26 PM Liked: 95
post #227 of 277
07-24-2014 | Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Well usually i like to go big or go home. lol but in this case i wanted to make sure i wasnt going over board either. And then since id have to get a dedicated 20amp circuit ,which is not a problem cause i have a 30amp right now, id still have to re wire my other equipment. And ive been jumping in and out of other forums where people have had similar setups and were satisfied when upgrading to the xpa 5 or at least a 200w rms amp compared to their receiver. the say the amp controls the speaker better then the receiver and the extra head room is great. And from what i have read a amp is way stronger then the receiver, i mean thats its only job, power the speaker. And i want to upgrade because my receiver say that its 7.2 but the specs are diff every where. For example on the marantz website and other ones to its says 110w rms(2 cahnnel driven). And yet other people say its 110w rms all channels driven. So does Marantz tech support but the he continued saying something like " every channel has a dedicated two amp in it except for the center" which confused me. Idk man im stuck lol. I want an amp to increase the performance of my set up but i dont want to waste the money and get a small difference in performance.
By getting 20 amp line with Furutech power outlets with the amp you are getting its going to bring those speakers alive.
memphis2050
09:09 PM Liked: 0
post #228 of 277
07-24-2014 | Posts: 21
Lmao thx Bears, i appreciate it. So the speakers CAN take way more then they are recommended right.

Yea im lookinf inot furutech to. And im just trying to figure out whats the best bang for the buck. The wifey is on my ass a little about spending more money lmao. She says its fine already. She doesnt understand lol. I want the XPR-5 but like i said, others claim to have great sound with the XPA-5 and the XPA-3. But i also think about my rears if i get the XPA-3. Not only will they not get amplification but ill want another amp for them later as well lol.
03:37 PM Liked: 14
post #229 of 277
07-25-2014 | Posts: 41
Well after sleeping on it last night I think I'm going to get the xpa5 this spring instead of the xpr5. The reason? I rent. And if I move I would again have to have a 20amp line run and I don't know too many landlords that would let that happen. For the additional 200 its worth getting the 5 channel amp right off. And I don't want my Onkyo to use anymore of its amps after my debacle with it last year. I could use that extra money to get a UMC-200 from Emotiva and dump my 818. I'll just have to see how it plays out this spring. Did you say you just have 5.1? I'm running 7.1 right now. What is in your setup now? And believe my wife doesn't understand either but she lets me get what I want when the tax check comes in if I don't go too crazy with it. And I get a GREAT deal LOL...
memphis2050
09:37 PM Liked: 0
post #230 of 277
07-25-2014 | Posts: 21
Wise man. Thats a good reason. It would be a hassle getting the 20amp line. Wifey tries to understand and doesnt say not but she does ask if i need and and if we have enough to spend later lol. See i have 2 kids and im about to take one to disneyland which, isnt cheap but its his first time, and then then we are going to baptize my daughter. Oh and dont forget the little bday partys lol. Oh and that was my same thinking to, $200 for the 5 channels is a better deal. Even the wife thinks so. I might just get the XPA-5 myself and wait till i upgrade my speakers to get a bigger amp, like a mac hopefully lololol. I used to run 7.1 but 90% of movies if not more are 5.1 so im running that. My marantz is a 7.2 though so i have the option.

My set up:
Marantz SR6007
HTM61 center
683's towers
M-1 sides.

I got 4 M-1's With the tower stands of craigslist for $280.
05:34 AM Liked: 14
post #231 of 277
07-26-2014 | Posts: 41
Hey the reason I went to 7.1 was all the Disney movies LOL.. I don't think 1 of them isn't 7.1. And yes there is the WAF to contend with also. I'm an empty-nester but can understand your situation. You can always get your toys later. Do stuff with yours kids now while they want to be with you, 1 day they wont want to even be near you LOL (teenagers). I read quite a few reviews last night and thought yea 200w is enough for the 5 speakers and let the 818 handle the 2 backs. Then I could get a pair of SVS PB-2000 and let my wife have the old one. I'd be a happy camper for sure I believe till I want new rears LOL and so on and so on.. How come it never stops?? But I love it all with a passion. And I dont know about a Mac but maybe a Classe or a Rotel or Parasound.. Wow there I go again LOL have a great weekend kids lets keep this alive ok? Love my 683's..
Chise's Avatar Chise
07:51 AM Liked: 95
post #232 of 277
07-26-2014 | Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Wise man. Thats a good reason. It would be a hassle getting the 20amp line. Wifey tries to understand and doesnt say not but she does ask if i need and and if we have enough to spend later lol. See i have 2 kids and im about to take one to disneyland which, isnt cheap but its his first time, and then then we are going to baptize my daughter. Oh and dont forget the little bday partys lol. Oh and that was my same thinking to, $200 for the 5 channels is a better deal. Even the wife thinks so. I might just get the XPA-5 myself and wait till i upgrade my speakers to get a bigger amp, like a mac hopefully lololol. I used to run 7.1 but 90% of movies if not more are 5.1 so im running that. My marantz is a 7.2 though so i have the option.

My set up:
Marantz SR6007
HTM61 center
683's towers
M-1 sides.

I got 4 M-1's With the tower stands of craigslist for $280.
Some folks I've dealt with just brought power outlets itself and was satisified with it, for me I wanted the best I could get out of my gear, But always had dedicated line in my basement but the power outlet was home depot brand now I'm using that for something else. But since I had the my set up in the basement which are 683S1 towers HTM61s1 center and 685S1 for surrounds I've been thru five Recievers till I settle with Pioneer SC-37 with Audioquest power cord, for real I'm just getting started.
07:40 PM Liked: 14
post #233 of 277
07-26-2014 | Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears t2 View Post
Well after sleeping on it last night I think I'm going to get the xpa5 this spring instead of the xpr5. The reason? I rent. And if I move I would again have to have a 20amp line run and I don't know too many landlords that would let that happen. For the additional 200 its worth getting the 5 channel amp right off. And I don't want my Onkyo to use anymore of its amps after my debacle with it last year. I could use that extra money to get a UMC-200 from Emotiva and dump my 818. I'll just have to see how it plays out this spring. Did you say you just have 5.1? I'm running 7.1 right now. What is in your setup now? And believe my wife doesn't understand either but she lets me get what I want when the tax check comes in if I don't go too crazy with it. And I get a GREAT deal LOL...
I use to have the XPA-5 powering my L&R 683's center HTM 61 and my surrounds did a fantastic job its a really good amp, you will not regret it, and you will hear a significant improvement in sound.
07:42 PM Liked: 14
post #234 of 277
07-26-2014 | Posts: 10
Quote:
I use to have the XPA-5 powering my L&R 683's center HTM 61 and my 685 for surrounds did a fantastic job its a really good amp, you will not regret it, and you will hear a significant improvement in sound.
04:31 PM Liked: 14
post #235 of 277
07-27-2014 | Posts: 41
Quote:
I use to have the XPA-5 powering my L&R 683's center HTM 61 and my 685 for surrounds did a fantastic job its a really good amp, you will not regret it, and you will hear a significant improvement in sound.

So Peek what is your setup now? And how are the 683's handling the 400 w of extra power now? Wow from 200 to 600. I'm confused by the 683's. They say 8ohms but I read that they dip below 4 quite a lot. So I've been running my 818 at 4 ohms instead of 6. What do you do? What are you using to power your center channel? And just in general how does it sound now? What size is your room and do you have any pics of your your new setup?
I'd love to hear that. Congrats on your new toys.
memphis2050
09:41 PM Liked: 0
post #236 of 277
07-28-2014 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Hey the reason I went to 7.1 was all the Disney movies LOL.. I don't think 1 of them isn't 7.1. And yes there is the WAF to contend with also. I'm an empty-nester but can understand your situation. You can always get your toys later. Do stuff with yours kids now while they want to be with you, 1 day they wont want to even be near you LOL (teenagers). I read quite a few reviews last night and thought yea 200w is enough for the 5 speakers and let the 818 handle the 2 backs. Then I could get a pair of SVS PB-2000 and let my wife have the old one. I'd be a happy camper for sure I believe till I want new rears LOL and so on and so on.. How come it never stops?? But I love it all with a passion. And I dont know about a Mac but maybe a Classe or a Rotel or Parasound.. Wow there I go again LOL have a great weekend kids lets keep this alive ok? Love my 683's..
Lmao we watch a lot of disney movies to and i never even noticed that they were 7.1 lol. I guess im selfish and only care about what im watching. I mean after all we the men are the only ones appreciating it lol. the wife and kids just watch and dont care if its out of the tv speakers or surround. Although my son is starting to run back inside when I put a loud war movie. But then i have to turn it down or off.
02:31 PM Liked: 14
post #237 of 277
07-29-2014 | Posts: 41
Now my wife is funny about it. She says she doesn't care about it but, we watched Rio 2 3d (which I think is 1 of the best 3d movies to come out this year!!! It was beautiful) and it's at -10 and she's hooked!!!! And then 2days later can't understand it LOL.
Check your specs on the Disney movies all or most I believe are 7.1 and if not I've seen quite a few that are now 7.1.
memphis2050
11:15 PM Liked: 0
post #238 of 277
07-31-2014 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Now my wife is funny about it. She says she doesn't care about it but, we watched Rio 2 3d (which I think is 1 of the best 3d movies to come out this year!!! It was beautiful) and it's at -10 and she's hooked!!!! And then 2days later can't understand it LOL.
Check your specs on the Disney movies all or most I believe are 7.1 and if not I've seen quite a few that are now 7.1.
Thank you, I will check them out. Now i need to put up another 2 more speakers and get an amp for them lol.
06:03 PM Liked: 14
post #239 of 277
08-02-2014 | Posts: 41
Had a chance to check your movies sir? And I'm hoping that it's not a lot of work to get all that stuff out to connect up. And if ya got it all done how does it sound?
memphis2050
10:39 PM Liked: 0
post #240 of 277
08-03-2014 | Posts: 21
lol yes i have. They are almost all 7.1. I think toy story wasnt. Bu then again thats Pixar right and i dont think they are affiliated with disney. I havent put the speakers up yet, too much working and i have to run the cables also to the rear. Not sure how im going to do that yet. But where there is a will there is a way right lol.
Tags: Bowers Wilkins

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread