Is there a better value than the pl-89s? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I know there are more expensive and better sounding speakers out there, but for the price you can buy them for is there a better deal. They can be had new for about 450 a pair for the bic pl-89 speakers and pic up a matching center for about 150. Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It depends...like everything in speakers and music. Do you like the sound of the BIC? If so, then no...there is no better deal.

Do you really want Towers? Will you consider Bookshelf? Do you have a Sub? How big is your room? What are you going to use to drive the speakers? I take it this is mostly for HT?

Answer these questions and then we can give you alternatives... But we can't give you X is better value than Y...simply because every speaker sounds different and what I like...you may hate.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

It depends...like everything in speakers and music. Do you like the sound of the BIC? If so, then no...there is no better deal.

Do you really want Towers? Will you consider Bookshelf? Do you have a Sub? How big is your room? What are you going to use to drive the speakers? I take it this is mostly for HT?

Answer these questions and then we can give you alternatives... But we can't give you X is better value than Y...simply because every speaker sounds different and what I like...you may hate.
As far as towers go is there a better value. I listen for both music and movies. And know I have no heard them, not possiable with being a direct internet brand.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

I have no heard them, not possiable with being a direct internet brand.

have you checked the "I'll demo my speakers..." thread? It just may be possible. And it's a great resource that deserves more action, IMO. smile.gif

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #5 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

have you checked the "I'll demo my speakers..." thread? It just may be possible. And it's a great resource that deserves more action, IMO. smile.gif
I have looked for that acutally. But the problem is I cant find anybody locally in the dfw area who has any.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
They are a great value and hard to beat. Calling anything the "best value" is impossible. There are just too many variables as has been stated.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #7 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

There is no such thing as "value" when you talk about speakers. Some people will like $250 dollar speaker better than they like $250,000 speakers.

Its all about what you like. Are you asking that given 100 people on the forums would the majority lead you to BIC...I highly doubt it. There are other speakers out there that are generally considered better for the price... Especially when you start talking about horn loaded speakers which allot of people do not like.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981006

I think most people would find something like the ML Motion 12's to be a better value... Or used Klipsch...or a ton of other speakers...
post #8 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Liked: 10
The Energy RC-70's that were on sale the other day for $598 / pair. Nothing will ever come close to touching them at that price. Keep your eyes open and maybe you can catch them the next time the are on sale. They have been discontinued for a while and these are the last of them being liquidated at ridiculously low prices. Originally, they were $2,000 / pair whenever they first came out.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stol3n View Post

The Energy RC-70's that were on sale the other day for $598 / pair. Nothing will ever come close to touching them at that price. Keep your eyes open and maybe you can catch them the next time the are on sale. They have been discontinued for a while and these are the last of them being liquidated at ridiculously low prices. Originally, they were $2,000 / pair whenever they first came out.

Well...would not go that far. Dennis Murphy's every day price on his Phil 2's can be thought to be as good or better deal than that... And frankly it is only a good deal if you like the Energy sound...but yes its a great deal too..if it pops up again.

Anyway...most done consider the BIC to be anything that +1 above HTIB and not very good at all for music...then there are a few that love them. For what any of this is worth.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Well...would not go that far. Dennis Murphy's every day price on his Phil 2's can be thought to be as good or better deal than that... And frankly it is only a good deal if you like the Energy sound...but yes its a great deal too..if it pops up again.

Anyway...most done consider the BIC to be anything that +1 above HTIB and not very good at all for music...then there are a few that love them. For what any of this is worth.

The OP is not interested in more expensive speakers, so please explain to me again why a set of $3,100 towers (which are irrelevant to the OP) are a better deal than a set of RC-70's that were recently on sale for $598 (around his price range).

It appears that he is quite interested in the BIC PL-89's, which means he likes them or thinks they are a great value for their price. He specifically wants to know if anything is better in that price range. The RC-70's for $598 / pair were a tremendous value, and I stand by my original statement whenever I say you won't beat them for under $600. I would love for you to prove me wrong because I purchased a pair of RC-70's for $598 shipped and if there's something better under $600 I want to know before my 30 day return policy is up. biggrin.gif

-OP, do you have a FRY's nearby?
post #11 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I own a BIC FH6-LCR and don't like it. It gets LOUD and that's about it, no midrange and no bass. It's impressive at first because of the volume, but after a bit I got tired of it and went back to my phase one pioneers....so much better!
post #12 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
fwiw,there is no best value but there is a thing called great value in buying speakers. for example the energy rc-70's heres a speaker when it came out was very well liked for it's asking price of around$1700. then the series was discountinued . vanns would have them for $1000 and would occasionally go on sale for $800 and they would sell out in days. so for $600 i would call them a great bargin. itsnot a $600 speaker its actually a $1700 speaker that has been discountinued. thats why buying speakers used is a great value also. imo better cabinets ,drivers and crossovers make for better sound. just my 2 cents

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page