Which Outdoor Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's still cold around here but I'm already planning for warmer weather.

My family likes to sit out on the deck and listen to music. I am sick of transporting my T-amp and a couple pioneer speakers out to the deck each time.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for good outdoor speakers.

Also, I know this is the speaker section but I'm looking for the best way to stream music from my tablet/phone and control it while we are outside.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking for the same thing right now, outdoor speakers, so I'll be watching this thread smile.gif

As for streaming to outside, I'm planning to use Sonos for that, since I have a couple zones inside the house already.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I have the Polk Atrium sat30s and Sub10. They wire up as 2ch and sound fantastic. The mids and highs are clean and clear and the bass is awesome. If you need bass outside, using a sub is the best way to go. This also helps keep the other speakers smaller and not having to have a monster speaker on the side of the house is a big plus. Looks and sounds great. I was able to find the whole set for $400.
As far as streaming, I have an apple airport express connected to my zone 2 and control volume and everything through my iPhone.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I tried three pairs last summer and chose the PSB CS1001 $550 due to its consistently appealing sound no matter the quality of the recording, level of detail and accuracy, and ability to produce satisfyingly deep bass. Excellent build quality to match the sound.

The Polk Audio Atrium 7 $499 (sale price) was a close runner-up. It played louder, but was a little more harsh with treble when playing poor studio recorded discs. Excellent build quality as well.

The Axiom Algonquin $378 was the worst speaker that I have ever owned. The build quality was horrible compared to the other two models and sound quality was average at best. This is the worst speaker I have ever owned with the exception (maybe) of the Sanyo rack system I owned as a kid.

All of the forementioned employ one inch tweeters, six point five inch mid/woofers, though different materials were used in the drivers.

Playback components involve a PC storing music files connected to AV Receiver with network audio and control, and multi-zone feature to send power to the speaker. Though the Receiver can be used as the player sending audio files over the Ethernet connection, I prefer to use the PC as the player because of the much superior software features. A small netbook pc is used as the controller: allowing remote control of Receiver volume and input selection, and control of the PC's desktop functions.

My experiences are detailed in a thread in this forum, if you want more details.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrosco View Post

So, I'm looking for recommendations for good outdoor speakers.

What type of speaker? Wall mount? If you're looking for landscape speakers James makes a great product.