Seeking Your Expertise and Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

First off, I want to say thanks for these forums and to the members. This is a great community with a wealth of excellent information. I am researching to purchase my first home theater setup.

Listening area: 8ft H x 14.5 ft W x 20 ft L (one side opens to a staircase and the kitchen while the other side has a 3 foot recessed area near the window). Listening preference: 75% movies, 15% music, and 10% gaming.

I own a Marantz SR6005 receiver rated at 110W x 7 channels.

My Dilemma: I was originally considering an entry-level system (something like the Polk Monitor or the Infinity P363 series speakers). I’ve instead decided to invest more with the hopes of decreasing the upgrade urge even if it means waiting and piecing my system together bit by bit. Since I’m willing to wait, my long-term budget is a little more flexible but right now I’m looking to spend around 2K on speakers (sub later).

I’ve seen recommendations for the Focal Chorus 814v and CC814v and this option sounds appealing from what I’ve read (efficient and priced well) but I have never listened to them. If I go that route, I’d buy 4 of the towers and the matching center. Are these a good choice or should I hold out for something else?

Unfortunately there are not many audio places near me but I have heard the Paradigm Studio 100’s, Studio 60’s, and Monitor Audio silver series speakers and thought they were excellent. I heard Polk LSi’s too but don’t want something so power hungry to drive.

Is there anything else I should be considering over the long term or should I just go ahead and blindly purchase the Focals?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
You might add your location to your user profile, and then post in the Focal owners thread and see if anyone in your area has some Focals you could go listen to. http://www.avsforum.com/t/709291/focal-jm-lab-owners-thread.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

No advice/opinions on these speakers or recommendations for other brands/models to check out?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 60
hi Glory, and welcome to AVS forums.

Look at the packages from HSU Research. for $1878 shipped, get this:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html

the 7.1 in satin black and a second matching sub later.

I'm surprised others didn't offer suggestions, but don't give up on this forum just yet. Lots of great people and tons of knowledge here.
Joseph

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #5 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Joseph - This does look like a good option. I'm going to read up on your suggestion. I appreciate it!

Thanks as well Cel - I did check out the Focal Forum and asked for opinions on the 814v's but haven't gotten feedback there either.

All the best!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Tons of options...

Aperion, Ascend, EMP Tek, SVS, HSU, Salk, Dennis Murphy Phil'2...list can go on. Those are for internet direct.. Next you have B&M ...you mentioned Focal...there is ML, Maggies, Klipsch, PSB..=

SVS and Aperion free ship both ways.

Once you get a better idea on budget and what you like...we can help you more. Looking at what you put up now... I am leaning towards EMP Tek...lower mid range budget...great for HT. Probably and HSU sub...
post #7 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I'm reading up as much as I can on the recommendations and I'm new to this so there is lots to learn. I want to do some more research and listening before jumping in on a purchase (unless there is a good sale or reason to buy right now).

I see that the Ascends are highly recommended on the forums. The CMT 340s look like they would be a very good value for HT use. Is it worth the upgrade to Sierra-1's if most of your content is movies? If I am interpreting the specs correctly, it looks like the CMT's will run more efficiently than the Sierra line so I'm just wondering what the differences are?

The EMP Tek also looks like a good value. Should I be concerned about powering these with my receiver (speakers are rated at 6 ohms and the advertised specs for the Marantz SR6005 are 110w x 7 at 8 ohms).

Finally - I did get a few responses on the Focal thread which are encouraging indicating that I should be happy with the 814v towers and CC814v center (due to build quality and price).

From the limited listening I've done to date, Paradigm Studio 100's with a CC690 is my dream setup but prices are really creeping up on these so I'm wondering if there are better values with other brands. If I went with this choice, I'd have to piece the system together bit by bit. Also it's rumored that a new version may be announced this September. I wouldn't want to buy now and see the line upgraded so shortly after.

Love these forums!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze View Post

I see that the Ascends are highly recommended on the forums. The CMT 340s look like they would be a very good value for HT use. Is it worth the upgrade to Sierra-1's if most of your content is movies? If I am interpreting the specs correctly, it looks like the CMT's will run more efficiently than the Sierra line so I'm just wondering what the differences are?

I know you said you would worry about it later, but what's your sub budget? Might be better to allocate the difference between the Sierra-1 and CMTs to your sub budget. For instance, if you have room for them, dual subs are better than a single sub because they can create a smoother bass response throughout the room. So for the overall HT experience, your budget might better be allocated there.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #9 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to keep the sub at 1K or less when I buy. I'm planning to start with 1 sub and upgrade to 2 only if I am disappointed with the sound. I'm reading up on them now and considering the HSU VTF-15H but if 2 subs are really recommended then maybe it’s better to opt for a set of VTF-3 MK4’s in the long-run.

Also looking at the Rythmik FV15 but it’s a bit pricier.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

I’ve seen recommendations for the Focal Chorus 814v and CC814v and this option sounds appealing from what I’ve read (efficient and priced well) but I have never listened to them. If I go that route, I’d buy 4 of the towers and the matching center. Are these a good choice or should I hold out for something else?

I think these made-in-France Focal speakers sound as good as any other made-in-China speakers out there. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I own the Focal 826V speakers, among other speakers like Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion3, KEF Reference 201/2, & Philharmonic 3. And I think the Focal 826V sound very good. Very clear mids, smooth highs, and nice soundstage.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd like to keep the sub at 1K or less when I buy. I'm planning to start with 1 sub and upgrade to 2 only if I am disappointed with the sound. I'm reading up on them now and considering the HSU VTF-15H but if 2 subs are really recommended then maybe it’s better to opt for a set of VTF-3 MK4’s in the long-run.

Also looking at the Rythmik FV15 but it’s a bit pricier.

It depends on the total size of your space, not just the listening area, and then how loud you plan to listen. If two subs can provide enough SPL over one and are otherwise equal in low frequency extension, SQ, etc., then it definitely can be better to have two.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page