looking to buy good bookshelf speakers, getting very confused - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another speaker to listen to is the mini mods by paradigm..... More in your price range at about $500 a pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

LSi7 are 400 a pair refurbished from polk audio. Not bad at all.

Actually, $399 with free shipping for a new pair from an authorized dealer. That is an outstanding price for a pair that were usually sold $700 retail. Definitely worth trying out if a generous return policy is offered.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-Ebony/dp/B0009WY690/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3HSJRC96DLT7I&coliid=I1JAOZ19P2MG28
post #33 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

"Though HSU subs are a pretty awesome value, based on one review I've read, I don't feel that HSU bookshelf speakers are a great value."
I have to disagree. You should read a few more reviews. I own a pair of the Hsu HB-1s and they are fantastic speakers for the money. They have great low end extension as well as good mids and highs. They can sound a little veiled but not with all material. Are they the best speakers out there? No. Would I recommend them to the OP with his stated budget? Nope. If the budget were only $300-$400 I'd absolutely recommend them. But given the budget I'd look at the KEF R300s and Paradigm Studio 20s. Both are much better in every way except the bass, especially the midrange and top end. Hsu knows bass though.

I wasn't knocking the Hsu HB. The main point is that online vendors don't always offer a great value. The HB-1 doesn't have consumers flocking to it because of a great price/performance ratio like the Hsu VTF/ULS subwoofers. You get what you pay for with the bookshelf speaker. Nothing more, nothing less. In an Audioholics face-off listening session, the Polk Audio Monitor, which sells for about $100 per pair, was unanimously chosen over the HB-1. If not for their subs, Hsu would probably have gone out of business.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/bookshelf-speaker-faceoff-2007/round-1-polk-audio-monitor-30-vs-hsu-research-hb-1.html
post #34 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 603
That comparison was with the older mk1 Hsu speakers. Another thing, having heard quite a bit of Polk Monitors and mk 2 HB-1s, there is no way I would go for Monitors, in fact I regard them as only one step above the cheap, hollow Sony speakers. For almost every Polk speaker I have heard, the louder they get, they worse they sound. At a certain point all treble blend together in a hissy mess. In my experience, the opposite is true of the Hsus, the treble is a bit recessed, but separation and soundstage really come out when you turn them up a bit. However, I do think the bass is very well controlled in the RTi towers, but they still have the treble problem, if not to the same extant of the Monitor/Tsi line.
post #35 of 36 Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am comparing Sierra 1s (w/ or w/o NRT) to Klipsch RB61 II and Dynaudio Focus 140s. Comments appreciated.
post #36 of 36 Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndersAVS View Post

Actually, $399 with free shipping for a new pair from an authorized dealer. That is an outstanding price for a pair that were usually sold $700 retail. Definitely worth trying out if a generous return policy is offered.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-Ebony/dp/B0009WY690/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3HSJRC96DLT7I&coliid=I1JAOZ19P2MG28

any idea what kind of speaker stands can hold on this speakers?

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page