looking to buy good bookshelf speakers, getting very confused - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok, so I am on the market for a pair of decent bookshelf speakers possibly later buying a matching center channel.

My budget is approx $1000. But I am not certain that I want to spend that much, or if I should spend more. I'd like to try to hit the sweet spot in terms of "most bang for buck value" if that is even possible.

But the more I read about different speaker systems, the more confused I seem to get. I am looking for some suggestions about how to choose between different speakers when most of them are not available to listen to in a local store, and auditioning them in your home costs money (at least the cost of shipping both ways) in most cases. This can cost $80 per audition, and after a few auditions you may as well have bought another pair of speakers almost.

Here are some speaker systems that I have read about (in no particular order) and looked at:

Ascend Sierra-1
Ascend CMB-170SE
ArX A1b
Aperion Versus Grand
SVS Ultra Bookshelf

Polk RTI A3
Klipsch RB-61 II

Questions: Is it important to "go with the same brand" for a center channel? Do you really get more "value" going with a smaller internet direct ship brand rather than a big name "big box store" speaker company? Do I need a 6.5” woofer?

Are there other speaker brands that I should consider?

To be honest, I have already ordered a pair of the Arx A1b's but they have not arrived yet and they do have a 30 day trial period... so I am still looking around and the more I read about different speakers the more confusing it gets unfortunately... so I am looking for some friendly consumer advice to the questions that I asked above.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Basically you have done your research. If you give us some more insight as to what you are driving these with? What kind of music you listen to? Are looks important to you? What did you have previously.

I have reordered your choices by cost group ...which does equate somewhat directly to SQ. Aperion and SVS are free shipping both ways...

Since it is zero money to try...I would suggest you give a set of Aperion Grand Versus speakers a try. Great speakers for the money.
SVS also ships free, but I have heard varies reviews on their bookshelf. They generally make a good product though.

Dennis Murphy Philmonitors are something you should look at. Talk to Dennis...he is about as honest and straight forward a guy as humanly possible. I have actually had him tell me NOT to buy his stuff several times and has saved me a ton of money...who tells you not to buy their stuff? Anyway...just do a search under him. Worth the gamble in my book.

Ascend Sierra -1 never heard a bad thing said about these.

700+
Ascend Sierra-1
Aperion Grand Versus
SVS Ultra
Dennis Murphy Philmonitors

400+
Ascend CMB-170SE -- I bought these for surrounds...so yes theya re great speakers but not in the speakers you ahve in your 700 dollar range.. Would you be perfectly happy with these...maybe. Can shoot low and try these...may be worth the "gamble).
ArX A1b (have not heard...but read they are very nice if a tad laid back)

Not great bang for buck IMO

Polk RTI A3
Klipsch RB-61 II
post #3 of 36 Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yes you want the same brand of center channel as your main speakers, and you actually want the matching center channel, not only from the same brand but the same series of speakers.

say you got polk speakers and you just get any old polk center channel, it probably wont blend in perfectly with your main speakers unless you get the one that is made to go with your main speakers.

rear speakers on the other hand, i dont think they really matter than much as far you can almost use any old set of descent speakers on the rears and they always seem to sound fine in a surround system, maybe some people will not agree but i dont find it important to have matching rear speakers but i do find it important to have a matching center channel speaker. i am not into surround sound any more because i listen to lots of much and only watch a movie every now and again. but i did my research one surround sound systems because at one point in time i decided to get one but eventually just went back to 2 channel which i find sounds plenty good for movies and cost allot less, i don't need a load of speakers and i don't need to run wires all over the place.

Amplifier: Cambridge Azur 651A, Denon DRA 397
Speakers: polk TSX 330T, Definative BP6B, Energy C200
Music: Sonos Connect
Movies: Sony Blue ray player
post #4 of 36 Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Basically you have done your research. If you give us some more insight as to what you are driving these with? What kind of music you listen to? Are looks important to you? What did you have previously.

I have two home theater setups in my house. One uses a Denon 1913 with the Klipsch 600 5.1 system. I am unhappy with the center channel in the 600 system, I feel that it misses a lot of details at low volumes sometimes. My other setup uses a Denon 1613 with a Polk RM6750 5 surround speakers and a Polk PSW110 subwoofer. I am fond of the Polk sound in the RM6750 and I feel that the 3.5" woofers really make a difference in comparsion to my 2.5" Klipsch 600 woofers. I have had other speaker setups in the past, but none could be categorized as "audiophile quality".

I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. I have a huge collection. These days I mostly listen to classical music while I work, and Jack Johnson style of music socially. I also listen to some of the stuff that is popular on say top 40 radio. Sometimes classic rock, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I play video games, which I would be doing with the new speaker setup.

Looks are important to me, sure. But they are not essential. I don't want to dramatically over pay just for a nice looking cabinet.
Quote:
I have reordered your choices by cost group ...which does equate somewhat directly to SQ. Aperion and SVS are free shipping both ways...

Since it is zero money to try...I would suggest you give a set of Aperion Grand Versus speakers a try. Great speakers for the money.
SVS also ships free, but I have heard varies reviews on their bookshelf. They generally make a good product though.

Dennis Murphy Philmonitors are something you should look at. Talk to Dennis...he is about as honest and straight forward a guy as humanly possible. I have actually had him tell me NOT to buy his stuff several times and has saved me a ton of money...who tells you not to buy their stuff? Anyway...just do a search under him. Worth the gamble in my book.

Thanks I will look into Dennis Murphy, and the Aperions.
Quote:

Ascend Sierra -1 never heard a bad thing said about these.

700+
Ascend Sierra-1
Aperion Grand Versus
SVS Ultra
Dennis Murphy Philmonitors

400+
Ascend CMB-170SE -- I bought these for surrounds...so yes theya re great speakers but not in the speakers you ahve in your 700 dollar range.. Would you be perfectly happy with these...maybe. Can shoot low and try these...may be worth the "gamble).
ArX A1b (have not heard...but read they are very nice if a tad laid back)

What do you mean when you say the Arx A1b are "a tad laid back"? I am not sure that I understand your point...

in general I am trying to understand what differences do you "hear" between the 700+ speakers and the 400+ speakers? What I am saying is that I want to get the best speakers that I will appreciate what they have to offer while listening, but I don't want to spend extra money for bragging rights etc with very hard to notice added audio value.

Quote:
Not great bang for buck IMO

Polk RTI A3
Klipsch RB-61 II

Why is that? I am interested to know.

General Question: what difference does the size of the woofer (2.5" or 3.5" or 5" or 6.5") have on the quality of sound coming out of the speakers?

EDIT: I just noticed your location. I live in Center City Philly. smile.gif
post #5 of 36 Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post

yes you want the same brand of center channel as your main speakers, and you actually want the matching center channel, not only from the same brand but the same series of speakers.

say you got polk speakers and you just get any old polk center channel, it probably wont blend in perfectly with your main speakers unless you get the one that is made to go with your main speakers.

rear speakers on the other hand, i dont think they really matter than much as far you can almost use any old set of descent speakers on the rears and they always seem to sound fine in a surround system, maybe some people will not agree but i dont find it important to have matching rear speakers but i do find it important to have a matching center channel speaker. i am not into surround sound any more because i listen to lots of much and only watch a movie every now and again. but i did my research one surround sound systems because at one point in time i decided to get one but eventually just went back to 2 channel which i find sounds plenty good for movies and cost allot less, i don't need a load of speakers and i don't need to run wires all over the place.

Thank you! I personally like surround sound for home theater movies and video games. My house came pre-wired with rear speaker wires for the surround sound, so that was cool and I don't need to look at the speaker wire. It is great.
post #6 of 36 Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfD View Post

Ok, so I am on the market for a pair of decent bookshelf speakers possibly later buying a matching center channel.

My budget is approx $1000. But I am not certain that I want to spend that much, or if I should spend more. I'd like to try to hit the sweet spot in terms of "most bang for buck value" if that is even possible.

But the more I read about different speaker systems, the more confused I seem to get. I am looking for some suggestions about how to choose between different speakers when most of them are not available to listen to in a local store, and auditioning them in your home costs money (at least the cost of shipping both ways) in most cases. This can cost $80 per audition, and after a few auditions you may as well have bought another pair of speakers almost.

Here are some speaker systems that I have read about (in no particular order) and looked at:

Ascend Sierra-1
Ascend CMB-170SE
ArX A1b
Aperion Versus Grand
SVS Ultra Bookshelf

Polk RTI A3
Klipsch RB-61 II

Questions: Is it important to "go with the same brand" for a center channel? Do you really get more "value" going with a smaller internet direct ship brand rather than a big name "big box store" speaker company? Do I need a 6.5” woofer?

To be honest, I have already ordered a pair of the Arx A1b's but they have not arrived yet and they do have a 30 day trial period... so I am still looking around and the more I read about different speakers the more confusing it gets unfortunately... so I am looking for some friendly consumer advice to the questions that I asked above.

Thanks!

Paradigm studio 20s
post #7 of 36 Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Questions: Is it important to "go with the same brand" for a center channel?!

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the Internet says that a matching center speaker is important, so who am I to disagree. I think the idea is that timbre matched speakers offer a offer better clarity than mismatched.
Quote:
Do you really get more "value" going with a smaller internet direct ship brand rather than a big name "big box store" speaker company?

There are some companies that have made a pretty good reputation selling Internet direct: HSU and SVU subs, Outlaw and Emotiva amps. Yet I wonder with certain brands whether the success is due to good advertising and trendy Internet buying. I don't think the forementioned audio companies offer products that are consistently formidable across the entire line. Though HSU subs are a pretty awesome value, based on one review I've read, I don't feel that HSU bookshelf speakers are a great value. Polk Audio and Klipsch seem to offer pretty good sound for a low price.
Quote:
Do I need a 6.5” woofer?

Probably not. If you are using a subwoofer, a four or five inch mid/woofer will crossover well enough. Of course, the extra cone size moves a little more air, and, all things equal, will offer deeper bass.
Quote:

... the more I read about different speakers the more confusing it gets unfortunately...!

Ain't that the truth. Until you actually start listening to speakers, I don't see where an extensive list is going to help much. Most speaker specs offer very little information. Reviews are generally positive and rarely offer anything that would allow a listener to make a healthy comparison between two different models. Based upon my experience with Polk Audio's Lsi9, I could recommend the $499 discounted Lsi7, but you would have a hard time finding a matching LsiC center speaker.
post #8 of 36 Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndersAVS View Post

Based upon my experience with Polk Audio's Lsi9, I could recommend the $499 discounted Lsi7, but you would have a hard time finding a matching LsiC center speaker.

Thank you kindly for all your comments. I had one question after reading your post: what is it in particular that you like about the Polk LSI series?
post #9 of 36 Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 AM

I don't have much time to write at the moment. But I'm guessing you would probably want to read the detailed Lsi7 review at the Stereophile website.

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/795/
post #10 of 36 Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Polk LSi are very good speakers, I recently sold a pair of LSi9. However, at 4 ohm they aren't the easiest to power.

The more you research, the more people who weigh in on this thread, the more confused you will get. I guarantee it. tongue.gif

There are a kajillion speakers in your price range, the list you have so far are commonly recommended. Having recently done some research in bookshelf speakers, and being particularly attracted to the sound typical of British speakers I have recently purchased Kef Q300 (b-stock from accessories4less run about $470, new $650) that have had very positive reviews and comments from the avs crowd

Whathifi review

hometheaterhifi review

Others to audition/consider:

B&W 685
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1/10.2
Focal Chorus 706V's

I own the floorstanding Philharmonic Audio 2's, probably the best speakers I will ever have. I don't know anything about the monitors other than the great reviews I've seen from those of us who praise Dennis Murphy's talent.

post #11 of 36 Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
B&W 685!
post #12 of 36 Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Liked: 11
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Goldenear Aon 3's. They aren't "pretty," but man are they impressive. I ended up selling them when I moved on to my Magnepan 1.7's, but in all honesty, I wish I would've kept them. Fantastic sound, surprisingly deep, well-controlled low end.

post #13 of 36 Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Monitor Audio RX-1
http://www.soundadvice.com/Monitor-Audio-Silver-Series-Bookshelf-Speakers-RX1-Priced-Per-Pair-P1215.aspx

Focal 706
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-41246-focal-chorus-706v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

And, Snell K7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snell-K7-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-New-Old-Stock-Never-Used-/390550688428?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5aeea292ac

Their center shows up on Ebay from timme to time

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #14 of 36 Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

What do you mean when you say the Arx A1b are "a tad laid back"? I am not sure that I understand your point...

I based that comment on the thread where someone compared the Arx A1b vs the CMD 170SE. Not from personal experience. May want to read that thread smile.gif

Until you start listening ....it is going to be hard to narrow down. I found I really like a soft dome tweeter compared to a metal one...in almost all instances. Now that lead me to planar...that lead me to ribbon tweeters...which lead me to my purchase.

When I heard the planar tweeters in the ML ...wow. The click of metal when a gun was firing in a move...awesome. I heard about 10 speakers A/B and there was nothing remotely as clear.

Then I read about the negatives of planar, cost and space...which lead me to ribbons...which made me happy. So..listen as much as you can to narrow down what you like...and dont.

It took me 7 auditions and 30 different speakers till I realized I didn't like the Klipsch... There were a few things that nagged me but finally I was able to pin point them. There were some things I really liked about them too!

Anyway... my .02
post #15 of 36 Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 PM

What do I like about the Polk Audio Lsi speakers? It would be easier to state what I don't like about the Lsi9: finding 24-26" stands that won't tip easily with the tall, 33lb speaker, and occasional bass boominess.

The boominess is only present with a few recordings, but at a certain bass frequency (I haven't isolated) and those recordigns with a thick bass signal in that frequency range. Otherwise, frequency output is well-balanced.

Any shortcoming in the bass is by far surpassed by smoothness, detail, and life-like tonal qualities. With a good recording, the speaker is never harsh or causing fatique when played at high volumes. Its been noted in reviews of expensive bookshelf speakers that poor recording quality is magnified by the speaker's detailed rendering, but I find that the Lsi9 is more foregiving of the harshest qualities, such as sibilance, distorted snares and cymbals. Crackle, pops, and hiss from old timey recordings will probably be more noticeable with any high end bookshelf.

With high quality recordings, the Lsi9 captures the subtlies in the instruments, such as the breath traveling into the wind instruments, the tautness of the drum membrane, or the silky, metallic ring of drum cymbals. Instruments sound more life-like than the less expensive speakers that I've owned and heard.

Another brand that I *highly* recommend is PSB. I own a pair of CS1001 outdoor speakers $550 pair, which resemble PSB's Image indoor model. The PSB is another very well-mannered speaker that renders plenty of life-like detail. It can't play as loud as the Lsi9, or reach the level of detail in the uppermost frequency range, but bears healthy resemblence otherwise. The detail and dynamic punch is excellent. The Imagine B is easier on the amp than the Lsi. Though your Denon's should power both with no problem, they would probably run a little hotter providing current to the Lsi because of its lower nominal impedence.

Crutchfield has a 60 day money back guarantee with free shipping and I recommend that you pick up a pair of PSB Images and compare side by side with the Arx. Other than jacking up the credit card cost initially, you've got nothing to lose. Its the best way to make a decision when buying mail order.

http://www.crutchfield.com/fg_37900_FFBrand%7cPSB/PSB-Bookshelf-Speakers.html
post #16 of 36 Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Which PSB do you recommend? B4? B5? B6? or just B?
post #17 of 36 Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

I listened to all the PSB and Paradigm as well.. (designer from Paradigm started PSB)...I really didn't like any of them..but that is me.

I see your from Philly... I am out in the burbs. I just got my Ascend 170 SE and am waiting on Phil 2's to get here. I also have a Rythmik FV15HP...

Hit me with a PM if ya want to come on over. My Onkyo 818 gets here tomorrow... My Phil's about a week.

Also a few nice audio stores next to me in Jenkinstown and World Wide Audio is around the corner.
post #18 of 36 Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Which PSB do you recommend? B4? B5? B6? or just B?

The B6 has the largest mid/woofer, so it is preferable in terms of SPL 's (volume measured in decibels) and flexibility in subwoofer crossover setting. The B4 might require a slightly higher subwoofer crossover setting (90-100Hz), than the others and won't play quite as loud. If you like to listen in two channel mode minus sub, then the B6 will output deeper bass.

Looks as if you and Newbie could have fun comparing a few models, but I feel it would be better to listen in the comfort of your own digs without any distraction, and without concern for room differences. The latter, room modes, reflectivity, and so forth, might be a matter of splitting hairs and have little influence. Trying to compare with distractions *could* be a problem.
post #19 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I listened to all the PSB and Paradigm as well.. (designer from Paradigm started PSB)...I really didn't like any of them..but that is me.

I see your from Philly... I am out in the burbs. I just got my Ascend 170 SE and am waiting on Phil 2's to get here. I also have a Rythmik FV15HP...

Hit me with a PM if ya want to come on over. My Onkyo 818 gets here tomorrow... My Phil's about a week.

Also a few nice audio stores next to me in Jenkinstown and World Wide Audio is around the corner.

Wow. You are going to have a rocking system pretty soon. And thank you for the invitation. My wife and I have an infant son in the house, so it might be hard to take you up on it right away. Although I would like to hear your speakers... Anyhow, I could PM you as you offered. Thanks very much for the kind offer!

I noticed World Wide Audio also has a store in Ardmore, which is closer to me. I haven't been successful at finding good Audio stores in or closer to Center City Philadelphia (other than Best Buy). But I admit that I could have looked harder so I don't know for sure.
post #20 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Ascend Sierra-1
Ascend CMB-170SE
ArX A1b
Aperion Versus Grand
SVS Ultra Bookshelf

Polk RTI A3
Klipsch RB-61 II

Thanks!

I have a set of he 61II's and matching center. They are ok,but I'm not very impressed. If your strictly a movie buff,they are great. But for rock and roll,I find them annoying. For lack of a better term, they just sound like the treble is turned up all the way. They are ok at medium to lower levels, but crank them up and you will shortly turn them back down. I have them on a 4520 Denon/OPPO 103 and whats left from my previous M&K Surround system .It was a 5.1 and I turned it into a 7.1 with heights and two M&K Subs. My next investment will be different main speakers.I'm thinking Ascend Serria Towers or something similar.....
post #21 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone listened any two or more of the following three speaker systems

B&W 685B $650 @ BB
Arx A1b $300 ID
Sierra-1 $850 ID

I would be interested in any comparisons. Thanks!
post #22 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Have you read this thread? Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE vs Arx A1b

So the Arx are same class as the 170s. Then you can google and find comparison of the CBM-170 SE to the Sierra-1s to get an idea how much of an upgrade they are, such as http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4812-CMT-340-vs-SIERRA-1.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #23 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Have you read this thread? Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE vs Arx A1b

So the Arx are same class as the 170s. Then you can google and find comparison of the CBM-170 SE to the Sierra-1s to get an idea how much of an upgrade they are, such as http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4812-CMT-340-vs-SIERRA-1.

Thank you. I read the first thread. And I didn't know about the second link, I appreciate it.

I was also curious about the possible comparison to the B&W speakers.
post #24 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndersAVS View Post

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the Internet says that a matching center speaker is important, so who am I to disagree. I think the idea is that timbre matched speakers offer a offer better clarity than mismatched.
There are some companies that have made a pretty good reputation selling Internet direct: HSU and SVU subs, Outlaw and Emotiva amps. Yet I wonder with certain brands whether the success is due to good advertising and trendy Internet buying. I don't think the forementioned audio companies offer products that are consistently formidable across the entire line. Though HSU subs are a pretty awesome value, based on one review I've read, I don't feel that HSU bookshelf speakers are a great value. Polk Audio and Klipsch seem to offer pretty good sound for a low price.
Probably not. If you are using a subwoofer, a four or five inch mid/woofer will crossover well enough. Of course, the extra cone size moves a little more air, and, all things equal, will offer deeper bass.
Ain't that the truth. Until you actually start listening to speakers, I don't see where an extensive list is going to help much. Most speaker specs offer very little information. Reviews are generally positive and rarely offer anything that would allow a listener to make a healthy comparison between two different models. Based upon my experience with Polk Audio's Lsi9, I could recommend the $499 discounted Lsi7, but you would have a hard time finding a matching LsiC center speaker.

LSi7 are 400 a pair refurbished from polk audio. Not bad at all.
post #25 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Newbie, I have another question. Since you got the Ascend 170's, why did you go with the Phil 2's rather than the Ascend towers or Sierra-1? Just curious...
post #26 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:

Thank you. I read the first thread. And I didn't know about the second link, I appreciate it.

I was also curious about the possible comparison to the B&W speakers.

Have you tried Google? I found these threads in a few seconds:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386720/my-comparisons-energy-veritas-v5-1-polk-lsi7s-b-w-685bs-and-ascend-sierra-1s
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4694-Sierra-1-NrT-Upgrade-Review

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #27 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 562
"Though HSU subs are a pretty awesome value, based on one review I've read, I don't feel that HSU bookshelf speakers are a great value."
I have to disagree. You should read a few more reviews. I own a pair of the Hsu HB-1s and they are fantastic speakers for the money. They have great low end extension as well as good mids and highs. They can sound a little veiled but not with all material. Are they the best speakers out there? No. Would I recommend them to the OP with his stated budget? Nope. If the budget were only $300-$400 I'd absolutely recommend them. But given the budget I'd look at the KEF R300s and Paradigm Studio 20s. Both are much better in every way except the bass, especially the midrange and top end. Hsu knows bass though.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Good reading. You are better @ google than me it seems. smile.gif

I went to BB to listen to the 685s, and now I am leaning towards the 683 towers... biggrin.gif
post #29 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I would check out the new Sonus Faber Venere book shelf speakers. Just a bit over the $1000 price.smile.gif
post #30 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 AM

Liked: 10
I spent many years listening to many different speakers. After painful trips to many different stores and listening to many speakers I found a line I like. The Paradigm studio line. I bought a pair of studio 100 v3, a pair of studio 40 v3, studio cc570 v3 and a servo 15 sub. I had all this in an old Yamaha RXV 995 till this past year. I went back to the Hifi house to make an upgrade on the system. When I was in the store my brother was with me and he liked the sound if the paradigm line as well. He ordered the studio 60 and took home a pair of the studio 20s v5. We hooked them up and both of us were amazed at the sound the had. I wound up buying 4 of them for a second system in the home for the kids. I love the sound they give us with a good sub on the old RXV 995. I would at least go listen to these speakers. Good luck. Btw my upgrades are a Anthen PVA5 amp, an Intergra DTR 80.3 processor and an Oppo DBP 95. Can't complain about any of the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page