HSU HB-1 MKII vs NHT Classic 3 for in cabinet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Price not withstanding, which of these two would do better installed 'in-cabinet' in an entertainment center? The HB-1 due to the horn design or the Classic 3 due to the sealed design? There is plenty of depth for clearance - at least 17" so a small rear port in the HB-1 should be an issue . Any other in-cabinet speakers worth considering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Rear-ported speakers are typically not a good choice for putting in cabinets.

The HSUs are not typical horn designs. They are soft dome tweeters, not compression drivers. Best not to think of them as horn designs.

post #3 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Cel, the Hsus have the controlled directivity benefits of horn-loading, so yes, they are horn-loaded speakers, they just don't have the hotter treble as most horn-loaded speaker because they aren't using compression drivers. Due to throat which compression drivers use to emit sound, they pretty much have to use an acoustic guide like a horn, but a horn can be used to direct any kind of sound producer, even a large woofer. Check out the old Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" which, once upon a time, were the most widely used speakers in commercial cinemas:

Also, rear porting doesn't really suffer unless the port is seriously blocked. Remember that the port is producing the lowest frequencies of the speaker's tuning point, so as long as their is some space around them, it ought to sound fine due to the lower directionality of bass. You just don't want to totally block or enclose the port area, or else you lose the port's resonance, same as with a ported subwoofer.

In the OP's case, I think the controlled directivity of the Hsu's horn will be less adversely affected by a cabinet placement then the NHT, but it isn't an ideal location for either speaker. The OP may also want to look at Klipsch RB-51, 61, and 81, those are front-ported, horn-loaded speakers which use actual compression drivers. The OP will definitely want to use room correction equalization as any speaker's response is going to affected by that kind of placement. The Classic Threes look awfully nice, but stereophile measured sensitivity at 83 dB, so they wouldn't be a good speaker for anyone who likes their music and movies on the louder side.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Cel, the Hsus have the controlled directivity benefits of horn-loading, so yes, they are horn-loaded speakers, they just don't have the hotter treble as most horn-loaded speaker because they aren't using compression drivers.

No doubt. But I think a lot of people are thinking compression driver and it's benefits when seeing the horn.

Anyway, the choice of the Classic Three vs the HB-1 seems a no brainer here. The Classic Three is different class of speaker.

post #5 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Classic Three is different class of speaker.

I would hope so, given the price difference.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here you go:

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1106nht
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/nht_classic_three.htm

post #7 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146

You only have to look at the ARX A1b vs. Sierra thread to understand brand loyalty is a strange thing....so what if I want a Acura TL when I can have a Civic because its just as good...wink.gif
Quote:

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #8 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

You only have to look at the ARX A1b vs. Sierra thread to understand brand loyalty is a strange thing....so what if I want a Acura TL when I can have a Civic because its just as good...wink.gif

Good point. This is about an equally lopsided comparison here, isn't it? LOL
Billy p likes this.

post #9 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good point. This is about an equally lopsided comparison here, isn't it? LOL

To undiscerning ears, I don't think there will be that great of a difference, to be honest. Once you have achieved a certain set of technical performance levels, laws of diminishing returns set in for most people.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To undiscerning ears, I don't think there will be that great of a difference, to be honest. Once you have achieved a certain set of technical performance levels, laws of diminishing returns set in for most people.

Wow! Just because HSU doesn't make a higher model speaker, now there's no reason for people to buy better in another brand. Talk about brand loyalty eek.gif

post #11 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

Wow! Just because HSU doesn't make a higher model speaker, now there's no reason for people to buy better in another brand. Talk about brand loyalty eek.gif

You do know ShadyHsu...don't you...JK..Shady...tongue.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #12 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Interesting tidbit....the first prototype of the Hsu HB-1's I heard were sealed.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #13 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was referring to the Arx vs Ascend comparison. Since their specs are so similar, you have to wonder how their sound will differ, and whether that difference justifies the price difference. Certainly the NHT will sound a lot different from the Hsu.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was referring to the Arx vs Ascend comparison. Since their specs are so similar, you have to wonder how their sound will differ, and whether that difference justifies the price difference. Certainly the NHT will sound a lot different from the Hsu.

Sorry.

But I think Billy was referring to the Arx vs Sierra-1 thread. The Arx A1bs are comparable to the CBM-170 SEs, not the Sierra-1s.

post #15 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the replies and input... My reason for considering the HB-1 was for the controlled directivity since they have to be placed in an entertainment center and are in a large room. The Classic 3's no doubt sound better circumstances not withstanding, and in my application their sealed design is a plus, but I was wondering if the lower sensitivity would be an issue and if the price increase for the sound quality is worth it over the HB-1's. My suspicion was that perhaps the HB-1's would be the smarter buy taking into account value, my large room with open layout, primarily used for movies, and installed in an entertainment center.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page