5.1 speaker set under 6K - recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am looking for advice for purchasing a system that will be for 80% movies, 20% music. Need high WAF and preferably slimmer design due to room constraints and also want bipole/dipole surrounds to hang on wall. Will be powered with Emotiva UMC 200 + XPA 5

Options
1) SVS : New Ultra - not sure if I like the design of the towers, and will not have much in terms of clearance space around them
2) Aperion Verus - seems very nice, but concerned about reflections from center speaker onto projection screen
3) Ascend - don't think they have bipole surrounds
4) PSB : T2 series
5) Salk - don't think they have bipole surrounds

Would appreciate any comments or other additional recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
You are in a league above me, but I have heard that svs system is very good!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Some speakers made in France? biggrin.gif

Focal 814V towers x 2 (MSRP $1800/pr, sale $800/pr)
Focal CC814V center x 1 (MSRP $600, sale $350)
Focal SR700V bipolar surrounds x 2 (MSRP $700/pr, sale $500/pr)

SVS PB-13 Ultra x 2 (MSRP $4000/pr, 10% discount for 2 subs sale $3600)

Total MSRP = $7,100
Total sale price = $5250

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=Focal&x=0&y=0

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4925-focal-chorus-sr700v-surround-speaker-pr.aspx

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb13-ultra#.UTTtx4y9KSM
post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
It looks like those 814V are actually 716V and CC814V is CC700V, so they're from "lower" 700V series just in glossy finish.
I heard 826V and I think the bass was kinda "boomy".
post #5 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by savora View Post

Hi, I am looking for advice for purchasing a system that will be for 80% movies, 20% music. Need high WAF and preferably slimmer design due to room constraints and also want bipole/dipole surrounds to hang on wall. Will be powered with Emotiva UMC 200 + XPA 5

Options
1) SVS : New Ultra - not sure if I like the design of the towers, and will not have much in terms of clearance space around them
2) Aperion Verus - seems very nice, but concerned about reflections from center speaker onto projection screen
3) Ascend - don't think they have bipole surrounds
4) PSB : T2 series
5) Salk - don't think they have bipole surrounds

Would appreciate any comments or other additional recommendations.

I design systems for a living and have done since just before HDTV and flat panels were the norm. The awesome part for you is that with your budget and intended use you can do some incredible systems that you would never want to replace but, man, is this a dangerously unspecific request!

Here is what I mean:

- Size of room?

- Decor concerns (besides "make them thin"). I mean, what does your room actually look like? Do you have drywall, wood paneling, part both, etc? Do you have a blank canvas to work with or are there things hanging on the walls, etc?

- DIY installation skill set on your end? ORRRRRR, if you come in less than $6k, would you pay for someone to professionally install the system IF it still allowed you to come in under budget and still get the look you want? Or, maybe this savings could also help you get some sort of entry to automation, iPad control, etc. into your system to grow from.

- What type of display are you using and what size - TV, Projector, etc?

- Is there any cabinetry involved either under the display or around it like with a built in entertainment center?

- Subwoofer placement constraints, size, or finish concerns? Make it thin as well? - Doable. In-wall? Yep, no prob.... But both will come with a premium in regards to performance to your budget. But, at $6k as a limit, both can be had with no problem.

Given your budget and stated goals there are 1000's of speakers that you can pick from. The problem, and I am definitely NOT picking on you - just trying to get you in the right frame of mind as a starting point - is that with the info you've shared you will just get guys listing a bunch of different speakers...... NOT designing a system for & AROUND your room.

For our clients, tower speakers are a last resort and only used because of installation issues and room problems. There are so many amazing, high output systems that will fit into a decor or design goal while putting out reference DBs for movies and music that it's just unnecessary to clutter your room up. Make yourself happy, make your family happy, live WITH your equipment... NOT around it.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just got done doing the EXACT same thing. My budget was $5500.

I had allot of the same ones on your list...

I also had Tekton Pendragons, Sonus Faber Venere, Goldenear Aon, Klipsch RF-7II's...and a few others.

Not to mention back and forth..and forth and back on subwoofers.

As far as the dipole / bipole... That is a debate I went through for a while...I decided on direct / monopoles in the end. I am waiting for all the parts of my system to be delivered.

Here is what I went with:

Ascend 170 SE - Surrounds
Philharmonic 2 - L/R
Onkyo NR-TX818
Rythmik FV15HP

I will be reviewing the different parts ..as well as the whole when I get done. I live in Philly burbs if you want to come over to audition anything biggrin.gif

Can you further explain your room restrictions and why you require a bipole / dipole? No need to match rear speakers with front sound stage either... ESPECIALLY with a bipole / dipole..it will make zero differance. So don't let that limit your choices.

A few things I found:

3d sound stage vs. clinical monitor .... I absolutely required a large 3d sound stage.
Full mids with airy / sparkly highs are important to me... I want to feel that last quarter octave when a female singer hits a high note or when cymbals crash.
I wanted a sub that I felt the action as well as heard it... I needed it to be very accurate as well..so it can play next to rock or classical and still be seemless.
I had zero WAF (god bless my wife who just wanted to be transported with the music as much as I did)

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions..it was a 4 month journey and a difficult one..but thanks to everyone on here and reading a billion websites I finally figured it out... I think....
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page